Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 29-10-2011, 07:28 AM
babycakes

eclectic goddess spirituality

Is there anyone who includes other deities from other forms of worship and spiritual practice? As an example, perhaps the angels and a goddess, and a saint? Thats an example. Or maybe even some other deities from hindu faith, and buddhist or vodou?
Thanks everyone.
BB
Old 29-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Animus27

I know this is in the Wicca subforum, but I'll answer, even though I am not any stripe of Wiccan. lol.

I don't practice eclectism. But I do have an interest in syncretism, particularly Graeco-Egyptian and Romano-Celtic, even though I haven't really pursued either deeply for now.

Eclectism is a sensitive issue for some pagans, particularly if it's done badly. There's a fine line between a well put together system of religious ideas and deities and having a tangled mass of conflicting ideas. I can dig up a pretty good essay on eclectism if you'd like, it's not mine, but it's a really good one.
Old 30-10-2011, 03:21 AM
LadyMoondancer

I subscribe to the idea that all Gods are one God and all Goddesses are one Goddess.

What this means is that a particular Diety, and it's attributes and personality, is just one aspect or side, of the whole. But each Diety is also an individual. It's like the Christian Trinity - The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, each seperate and different, yet One.

The thing is to do your homework. Learn about the Diety before you invoke him or her.

I mostly lean to the Egyptian pantheon, my three patron goddesses being Selkit, Sekhmet and Bast. But I have incorporated some Greco-Roman Goddeses in a few of my rituals.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:26 AM
babycakes

Angel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMoondancer
I subscribe to the idea that all Gods are one God and all Goddesses are one Goddess.

What this means is that a particular Diety, and it's attributes and personality, is just one aspect or side, of the whole. But each Diety is also an individual. It's like the Christian Trinity - The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, each seperate and different, yet One.

The thing is to do your homework. Learn about the Diety before you invoke him or her.

I mostly lean to the Egyptian pantheon, my three patron goddesses being Selkit, Sekhmet and Bast. But I have incorporated some Greco-Roman Goddeses in a few of my rituals.

Thats similar to myself. I adore Aphrodite, I also love Yemanya who has assisted me in many life situations. I also work daily with my angels and some arch angels, but also love pap legba. They are just a few of the deities and spirit helpers I adore being in the presence of. Then we have the fae, with whom I have a connection which they pursued. They were the first to let me know Im not alone.
This is why I am asking. Because Ive come to realise I resinate with many from all sorts of backgrounds. Thankyou for your help and response.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:29 AM
babycakes

Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I know this is in the Wicca subforum, but I'll answer, even though I am not any stripe of Wiccan. lol.

I don't practice eclectism. But I do have an interest in syncretism, particularly Graeco-Egyptian and Romano-Celtic, even though I haven't really pursued either deeply for now.

Eclectism is a sensitive issue for some pagans, particularly if it's done badly. There's a fine line between a well put together system of religious ideas and deities and having a tangled mass of conflicting ideas. I can dig up a pretty good essay on eclectism if you'd like, it's not mine, but it's a really good one.
I would love an essay on this topic! Thankyou so much for offering. It is an interesting topic I know. And I also know its a sensitive one to many. I mean no offence to anyone by any means. Its simply an intriguing concept but also something i practice without meaning to.
Thanks for your response.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
I would love an essay on this topic! Thankyou so much for offering. It is an interesting topic I know. And I also know its a sensitive one to many. I mean no offence to anyone by any means. Its simply an intriguing concept but also something i practice without meaning to.
Thanks for your response.
Here's the article! http://www.ecauldron.net/eclecticism.php
Old 30-10-2011, 07:57 AM
mattie

OK To Pick Different Beliefs From Varied Belief Systems

It’s OK to pick whatever deities from different belief systems that you want to incorporate into your personal beliefs. Combining beliefs from different belief systems can result in a strong rich nuanced belief system. No individual belief system really gets all of it right, even though some have tidbits of it right, so it is really necessary to use ideas from many belief systems. One can develop their own beliefs that are outside on any belief systems as well.

Don’t be concerned if it meets w/ others’ approval, just focus on if it feels right for you.
Old 30-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Master
"I know this is in the Wicca subforum, but I'll answer, even though I am not any stripe of Wiccan. lol."

Me neither, Animus

As to the OP. The idea of multiple deities is a cultural issue. There are two principles of the universe - call them Yin and Yang or Male and Female or whatever you wish. So really having several deities is over-kill as they are all the same. Personally, I deify Mother Earth, believing the planet Earth to be a living organism.
Old 30-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie
It’s OK to pick whatever deities from different belief systems that you want to incorporate into your personal beliefs. Combining beliefs from different belief systems can result in a strong rich nuanced belief system. No individual belief system really gets all of it right, even though some have tidbits of it right, so it is really necessary to use ideas from many belief systems. One can develop their own beliefs that are outside on any belief systems as well.

Don’t be concerned if it meets w/ others’ approval, just focus on if it feels right for you.
I don't know if I agree with the whole "no individual belief system gets it right". But I do agree, a well done form of eclectic/syncretic spirituality can be very rich and personally meaningful - even so, it can be a haphazard mix of conflicting ideas that have no tying together, and are only there because of religious fetishism (thatlookscoolimustbelieveinit syndrome ). The issue of cultural appropriation can be a concern as well if one is interested in aboriginal and first nation religions, so one has to be sensitive and aware of what they're doing.

And of course, no one needs any one's approval, but taking advice from others can help make one's religious practice more fulfilling.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:39 PM
LadyMoondancer

I'm going to check out that article. In the meantime, when I said do your homework, that's because you don't want to be invoking Demeter to help grow your garden and the next sentance invoke Kali -who may lay waste to your garden. Actually, I would leave Kali alone.