Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 12-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Finnish Paganism

"Finns have the power of darkness, Finns are wizards"

This was the cry of the Viking warriors who feared nothing...

nothing but the power of the Finns in their dark forests.

Finnish Heathenism pre-dates Nordic Heathenism and the two forms of Paganism are observed very differently. Finnish Heathenism is a Shamanic belief system – the Native Americans fashioned their belief system on that of the Ancient Finns. A study of both systems will reveal the great many similarities. On the other hand, the Nordic Heathenism, whilst Nature-based, is not predominantly Shamanic.

Finnish Paganism holds no absolute rules, but instead each pagan has to make their own decisions on how to practice Paganism.

Finnish magick is pragmatic. The magician is not bound by any traditionally established ritual or method of practise. It is believed that the most powerful magick is born of spontaneity and creativity.

The ancient Finns were of the mindset that life is your preparation for ritual. The ritual itself is merely the projection of the magician’s personality to effect change, thus the magician should live a magickal life, the characteristics which should include attention, compassion, courage, intuition, spontaneity, imagination and of course sisu. Sisu is summed up in an old Finnish proverb – "Strong will takes a person even through stone.". The Finns have through history been noted for their resilience. Sisu is not just a positive attitude or bravery – it is a philosophy that what must be done will be done, regardless of the cost. It is a philosophy of integrity. Sisu has allowed the Finns to survive 42 wars with Russia – losing all of them. Sisu allowed the Finns to repay their war debts even when wealthier countries chose not to. Sisu sums up to an indomitable will and this is the secret not only of their survival but to their magick as well. Finns, unlike the Nords, were peaceful and benevolent people.. In fact, theirs is the only national epic whose central theme is not based around conflict, but when conflict becomes inevitable, the warrior enters into it with his or her entire being..

Finnish Magick does not rely on spells and charms so much as it requires the magician to hone and use his/her own powers to effect change. As it should be.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Carcadone

Hey Kapitain!

I must disagree with what you wrote about conflict. Here in Finland there has been several conflicts between towns. Because we've been very isolated from the "outside world " and quite isolated from each other, we've had our conflicts amongst ourselves. Even today people from two towns or cities come together to fight bad *** style. I think Finnish people have been the most dangerous people in earth because of their ruthless killing.

Otheriwise it was very exiting to read your post about finnish paganism. I gave it some thought and all ancient stories started to came up about Ahti, the lord of waters, and other gods and goddesess that we've had.

In the other hand, I think alcohol is so grown to Finnish tradition because most people see spirits here but they deny it, and they drown their panic with alcohol - but whenever you talk to an alcoholist you find out that they still keep seeing those beings they're trying to not see.

Well, this is the tradition that I've heard (and seen) living here for 20 years :)
Old 14-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Kapitan_Prien

I have to agree with you with regards to being ruthless fighters. In all of my Cape Horn ship books I've read, where it concerns the Finns - the general comment is: "Quick with the knife."

I also agree with the response on the alcohol. It does the same for me - it gives me a break from dealing with what I've been constantly feeling as far as the exchange in energy. But - with the use of the Phosphorus homeopathic remedy, I will be shutting things off.

For reference:

Phosphorus has had a very good press up till now. Homeopaths generally regard Phosphorus as the nicest of people, and the type that everyone wishes they belonged to. Many Phosphorus individuals really are radiant, loving and spiritual, but the truth is never that simple, at least not when it comes to psychological types. Just as there is a progression from the least conscious to the most conscious Sulphur individual, the former exhibiting all the negative characteristics of the type, the latter all the positive, so there is the same kind of progression amongst Phosphorus individuals. Not all Phosphorus people are giving or spiritually inclined. The less developed Phosphorus may give when it suits him, or when he is in a good mood, but he is just as likely to be self-centered and inconsiderate.

The essence running through Phosphorus is a lack of personal boundaries, and it is this lack of boundaries that accounts for both the positive and the negative characteristics of the Phosphorus psyche. The vast majority of people develop in childhood an ego-identity which separates them from the rest of the world. Before this happens, the infant feels at one with his surroundings, and especially with his mother. This ego-identity is made up of hundreds of boundaries or conditions, which determine who the child thinks he is, and how he relates to the world around him. It is made up mostly of opinions and beliefs, and hence it is essentially intellectual in character, since it is the intellect which distinguishes and analyses, rejects and approves. Gradually, most children come to live more and more in their intellect, and as this happens, they become more and more separated from the world around them, since it is no longer experienced directly, but through the filter of the ego or intellect. The ego also includes emotions, which initially were impersonal in the infant, since there was no person for them to attach to. Hence the infant bathed in waves of contentment or fear, without knowing why he was contented or afraid, or even that he was. These were just feeling tones that pervaded his whole experience. Once the intellect has been established, there is a person who can identify with the feelings, and say, 'This is my anger, and my fear'. The person can also escape from feelings to some extent by dissociating from them.

The process of identification with the intellect is partial and incomplete in the Phosphorus individual. Phosphorus tends to experience the world like a young child. Sensory stimuli are more vibrant and immediate to Phosphorus, because they are not filtered by the intellect to the same degree as in others. As a result, they have more effect on him. This is equally true of pleasant and unpleasant stimuli. A beautiful sunset will send Phosphorus into a rapture that few other mortals ever experience, a rapture that totally bypasses the intellect. By the same token, Phosphorus will be acutely distressed by the ugliness and squalor of a slum district. This is not the outraged concern of Causticum, and not only the sympathetic suffering of Natrum, but an absorption by psychic osmosis of the 'vibes' of the place, which all of us experience to some extent, but are insulated from by layers of insensitivity, and by being firmly rooted in our ego. Phosphorus is like a sponge, absorbing all the impressions that are in the immediate environment, and then experiencing waves of emotion, both pleasant and unpleasant, which they produce.

To Phosphorus, the worlds of intuition and feeling are very alive and real, and this includes the feelings that exist in other people. Phosphorus can pick up on another's feelings, and sometimes does this without realizing it.

For example, a Phosphorus woman may suddenly become anxious without knowing why, because she sits next to someone who is very afraid.
As a result of the extraordinary 'openness' of the Phosphorus psyche, reality is a far broader and richer experience for Phosphorus than it is for most other mortals, but it is also more confusing and bewildering. Although Phosphorus is capable of remarkable intuition or second sense, he is just as likely to misinterpret emotion and wishful thinking as intuition, and to be led astray by it. His intuitions are not reliable, because they get lost in a sea of sensual impressions, emotions and imaginings.

The Phosphorus individual floats in the ocean of these constantly shifting currents, marveling at its beauty, shrinking from its terrors, and struggling to keep afloat, and avoid being swallowed up completely.

(Where it relates to being a 'walk-in': A new walk-in is like a newborn baby. Because the emotional and mental bodies are "new", they have not yet been imprinted from the environment. Like a baby, a walk-in is a sponge for the emotions, traits and beliefs of the people around them. It is vitally important that a new walk-in choose carefully the people they spend time with for they will be imprinted with those people’s qualities and biases, good and bad.)
Old 14-12-2010, 03:15 PM
hippocratie

[quote=Carcadone]
whenever you talk to an alcoholist you find out that they still keep seeing those beings they're trying to not see.
/quote]

This is the first reference that I've heard to an alcoholist. Most religions go to the extent of banning or trying to control alcohol; it's understandable that a someone would indorse the complete opposite, but with todays understanding of alcoholism and the problems incurred I didn't expect that people still regarded it spiritually.

I'm problably opening myself up for some type of Anglican Blood Of Christ comeback but I don't think that they would go as far as to call themselves alcoholist.
Old 14-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Carcadone

Hippocratie,

I think I'm failing to understand what you're meaning.

Which most religions are you talking about? I'm familiar with Islam trying to ban alcohol for its well-known negative effects.

I don't think so many people think about it from a spiritual perspective, but this is something I noticed while having to help some alcoholics (in several occasions). I didn't mean to say that all alcoholics are spiritual, or anything like that. I do agree that I generalised it; I meant to say that the alcoholics I have dealed with say things that can only be interpreted as their abilities to see spirits. I'm talking about people who would never say they can see spirits. When I have interpreted those events I can see that on top of all their reasons to fall into alcoholism, some of them, with their ability to see the unseen, also have the problem of seeing things that "are not normal or something other people see" and they drown it on alcohol.

With alcoholism I mean "Alcoholism, also known as alcohol dependence,[1][2] is a disabling addictive disorder. It is characterized by compulsive and uncontrolled consumption of alcohol despite its negative effects on the drinker's health, relationships, and social standing. Like other drug addictions, alcoholism is medically defined as a treatable disease.[3] " [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholism ]

Last edited by Carcadone : 14-12-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 17-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan_Prien

"Finns have the power of darkness, Finns are wizards"

This was the cry of the Viking warriors who feared nothing...

nothing but the power of the Finns in their dark forests.

Finnish Heathenism pre-dates Nordic Heathenism and the two forms of Paganism are observed very differently. Finnish Heathenism is a Shamanic belief system – the Native Americans fashioned their belief system on that of the Ancient Finns. A study of both systems will reveal the great many similarities. On the other hand, the Nordic Heathenism, whilst Nature-based, is not predominantly Shamanic.

Finnish Paganism holds no absolute rules, but instead each pagan has to make their own decisions on how to practice Paganism.

Finnish magick is pragmatic. The magician is not bound by any traditionally established ritual or method of practise. It is believed that the most powerful magick is born of spontaneity and creativity.

Finnish Magick does not rely on spells and charms so much as it requires the magician to hone and use his/her own powers to effect change. As it should be.

My knowledge of Finnish paganism is rather limited, and I can't read all of the site you linked at the moment. But I would like to comment on a few little things, since I am feeling pedantic this morning hehe.

Yeah, the FP isn't part of the Indo-European family, so they're not Norse, or Slavic paganism. But there is absolutely no evidence that I am aware of that links Native American beliefs with that of the ancient Finns. But I COULD be wrong.

Norse Heathenry is not nature based. And it did have it's own well developed shamanic tradition called Seidr which was practiced mostly by women, since men considered it unmanly lol.

And I have little knowledge of the magical systems of pre-Christian Finland, so I can't comment on that. Although, I am suspicious of the claim, because if memory serves me correctly there are very few first hand accounts of the belief systems of the ancient Finns.
Old 17-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Kapitan_Prien

I can add this:

book - Shamanism: Finno-Ugric Belief System