Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Neville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
No, it's not about feeling alive, it's about being alive. I can *feel* alive, I can do things that excite and engage, I can walk and run, I can eat and drink and breathe - but at the end of the day, I simply exist.

Being, not doing.

It's subtle. But I think it's key for so many of us who blunder through life without wholly engaging.

What you percieve and importantly how you percieve will be what is true for you, that is to say, If you feel/think you are not truly living, you are absolutely correct. You are in the driving seat with regard to how you feel about a thing.

My old Gran used to smile , or so I am told, during Air raids, She said "life is all about choices so I choose to be happy". Which was quiet something to me because she had no idea whether this breath or the next breath was to be her last breath, thankfully neither of those two breaths were her last, I'm digressing.. You get the gist anyway.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal
I think it is up to the individual to find what makes them feel alive.
I'm with Teal on this, it could be as simply as to invite something outside yourself in, it could be any number of things, to make sense of what you have.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
I get what you want here. I just think still it is up to you to find the key to suit you individuality.

That Teal is smart and funny. Ha ha ha
Old 02-01-2014, 10:59 PM
TruthSatnaam

It appears that many are beginning to awaken. The Reason we are here is to discover the Truth, to detach from the game we've been placed in and to teach others out of the game aswell- the first lesson is always to speak the Truth- not even tell a white lie.

Eastern mystics call it bhagti, aka loving devotion. The Truth is discovered through humility, compassion, selfless service and most importantly Love. It is a fearless Love, hence we stay grounded in the Truth for better or worse, through thick or thin.

Jesus remained Truthful whilst being martyred on the cross, Guru Tegh Bahadhur Ji remained Truthful whilst being tortured and killed and made to watch devotees veibg sawn in half, boiled in a cauldren etc- their only request was to face their Guru. True Love is unconditional, to accept Gods will throughout and instead of only seeing the good n bad, realising both to be one and the same- not reacting in the vices.

Meditate on Truth, the answers are in our own heart.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Master
Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
So, there is the question. it's as if I'm not alive, someone helped me see that. And yes, I am alive, I but I'm not really living and how to be fully alive, integrated, fully embraced with humanity and spirituality so everything operates in a form of togetherness.

Does that make sense?

I want to live, really really live. I want to taste food, I want to breathe the air and feel the cold and hot. I want to laugh and cry from the heart and soul. I want to run and walk and feel health, feel pain. feel joy, feel sadness.

I want to live.

How. I've spent the first half of my life living in black and white and now it's time for colour. And i've been through healing and healing and healing and it's been helpful but nothing has ever really gone to the core. And now is the hour, I'm being called to live.

Answers on a postcard. How do you find life? How do you be a living creature as opposed to existing creature?

So here's the thing, when I found the answer to the question "who am I", it left me able to be who I am more so every day. It looks and feels like a kind of being present that you cannot try to obtain. This being present is the most aliveness I've ever known.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Great answer Capacity.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal
Great answer Capacity.
Thanks...I'm just happy to have found this presence.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Mayflow

Simply enlivening. Entire work by Thich Nhat Hanh is available free online here

http://plumvillage.org/transcription...our-suffering/

"One day standng on the hill looking down, the Buddha saw beautiful rice fields. The rice was ripe, about to be harvested. But because Ananda was only thinking of how to make the Buddha comfortable, he didn’t see it. So the Buddha pointed to the rice fields below and said, “Ananda can you see it’s beautiful?” It was like a bell of mindfulness—suddenly Ananda saw that the rice fields down there were so beautiful. The Buddha smiled

Another time when Ananda was with the Buddha, north of the Gangha River in the city of Vaisali, the Buddha pointed to the city, the trees, and the hills, and said to Ananda “Don’t you see Vaisali is beautiful?” Then Ananda took the time to look at the beauty of the city.

The day I saw Ananda practicing walking meditation around the hut of the Buddha, he was trying to protect the Buddha from guests. Many guests came, and they always wanted to have a cup of tea with the Buddha, and the Buddha could not just receive guests all day. So Ananda was trying to help. That day Ananda was practicing walking around the hut of the Buddha. It’s not exactly a hut, but a cave—the Buddha was staying in a cave, very cold. And Ananda saw someone coming, coming, coming in his direction.

He had the impression that he knew this person, but just forgot his name. When that person had come very close, he recognized him as Mara. You know Mara? Mara is the one who had caused the Buddha a lot of difficulties. The night before the Buddha attained final enlightenment, Mara was there to tempt him. Buddha was tempted by Mara. Mara is the tempter. He always wanted the Buddha to be a politician, to be a king, or a president, or a foreign minister, or running a business, having a lot of money, a lot of beautiful women; and he was always trying to tempt the Buddha so that Buddha would go into these directions. That is Mara.

Ananda saw Mara approaching. He felt uncomfortable. Why should Mara come at this time? But Mara saw him already—Ananda could not hide himself—so he had to stand there and wait for Mara and they had to say things like, “Hello, how do you do?” People say that even if they don’t like each other. They say, “Hello, good morning, how are you,” and so on. They don’t mean it. Then they come to the real thing: “What are you here for Mara?” “I want to visit the Buddha,” Mara said, “I want to see him.” Ananda said, “Why should you want to see the Buddha? I don’t think the Buddha has time for you.”

You know when the head of a corporation or a director of an office doesn’t want to see you she says, “Go and tell him I am in conference.” And Ananda was about to say something like that, but he remembered that he had to practice the Five Precepts and could not tell a lie. So he refrained from saying that the Buddha is in conference. He was frank. He said, “Mara, why should the Buddha see you? What is the purpose and are you not ashamed of yourself? Don’t you remember that in the old days, under the Bodhi tree, you were defeated by the Lord? How could you bear seeing him again? I don’t think that he will see you. You are the enemy of the Buddha,” and Ananda continued to say what was really in his heart.

You know Mara was very aware, a very experienced person. He just stood there and looked at the young Venerable Ananda and smiled. After Ananda finished, he said, “What did you say Ananda, you said the Buddha has an enemy?” Then Ananda felt very uncomfortable to say that the Buddha had an enemy. That did not seem to be the right thing to say, but he just said it. He said, “I don’t think that the Buddha will see you, you are his enemy,” So if you are not very concentrated, very deep, very mindful, you may say things like that against yourself, against what you know and what you practice. When Mara heard Ananda say that he is the enemy of the Buddha, he burst out laughing and laughing and laughing, and that made Ananda very uncomfortable. “What, you’re telling me that the Buddha also has enemies?”

So finally Ananda was defeated, completely defeated. He had to go in and announce the visit of Mara, hoping that the Lord would say, “I have no time for him, I need to continue sitting.” But to his surprise, the Buddha smiled beautifully and said, “Mara, wonderful! Ask him to come in.” That surprised Ananda. Remember Ananda was young with not a lot of experience. All of us are Ananda, you know. So Ananda had to go out again and bow to Mara and ask him to come in because the Lord wanted Mara to be his guest.

The Buddha stood up, and guess what? The Buddha did hugging meditation with Mara. Ananda did not understand. The Buddha invited Mara to sit on the best place in the cave—a stone bench. And he turned to his beloved disciple and said, “Ananda, please make tea for us.” You might guess that Ananda was not entirely happy. Making tea for the Buddha—yes. He could do that 1,000 times a day. But making tea for Mara was not a very pleasant idea. But since the Lord had asked, Ananda went into a corner and began to make tea for them and tried to look deeply, why things were like that.

When the tea was offered to the Buddha and the guest, Ananda stood behind the Buddha and tried to be mindful of what the Buddha would need. You see, if you become a novice, you have to practice being an attendant to your teacher. You stand behind him or her and you try to know what your teacher needs each moment. But it did not seem that the Buddha needed anything. He just looked at Mara in a very loving way and he said, “Dear friend, how have you been? Is everything okay?”

Then Buddha and Mara shared a deep and friendly discussion...

If you were there with Ananda and if you were very mindful, you would have had the feeling that Buddha and Mara were a couple of friends who need each other—like day and night, like flowers and garbage. This is a very deep teaching of Buddhism, and I trust that the children will understand—very deep. You may compare Buddha with the flowers, very fresh, very beautiful. And you may compare Mara with the garbage. It doesn’t smell good. There are a lot of flies who like to come to the garbage. It’s not pleasant to touch, to hold in your hand, to smell the garbage.

Yet all flowers become garbage. That is the meaning of impermanence: all flowers have to become garbage. If you practice Buddhist meditation, you find out about very interesting things—like about the garbage. Although garbage stinks, although garbage is not pleasant to hold in your hand, if you know how to take care of the garbage, you will transform it back into flowers. You know gardeners don’t throw away garbage. They preserve the garbage and take care of the garbage, and in just a few months the garbage becomes compost. They can use that compost to grow lettuce, tomatoes, and flowers. We have to say that organic gardeners are capable of seeing flowers in garbage, seeing cucumbers in garbage. That is what the Buddha described as the non-dualistic way of looking at things.

If you see things like that, you will understand that the garbage is capable of becoming a flower, and the flower can become garbage. Thanks to the flowers there is garbage, because if you keep flowers for three weeks they become garbage, and thanks to the garbage there will be flowers. You now have an idea of the relationship between Buddha and Mara. Mara is not very pleasant, but if you know how to help Mara, to transform Mara, Mara will become Buddha. If you don’t know how to take care of the Buddha, Buddha will become Mara.

So what you learn today is very deep. Flowers and garbage are of an organic nature because both flowers and garbage are living realities. Buddha and Mara are also organic, and they need each other. It is thanks to the difficulties, thanks to the temptations, that the Buddha has overcome his suffering and his ignorance and become a fully enlightened being. The day before yesterday, I gave a Dharma talk on suffering, and I said that if you look deeply into the nature of your suffering, you will find a way out of it. So if you want a flower, you have to use the garbage. That is why the people who suffer a lot now should not be discouraged. Suffering is their garbage. If they know how to take good care of their garbage they will be able to make the flower come back to them, the flower of peace, of joy. The Buddha shows us the way to do so.

The flower may die, but not the flowerness. Even if a flower has become garbage, you know you can bring the flower back. If you are a good gardener, if you know how to use compost, seeds, water, you will be able to bring the flower back. This means a flower may die, but flowerness is something that is there all the time: because flowerness is not a thing, flowerness is the nature of a thing. So it is with Buddha and Buddha nature. Buddha nature is called in Sanskrit buddhata. We all have buddhata inside of us, this Buddha nature. If we want, we can make the Buddha be born every moment in our hearts. That is a very wonderful thing. You can make the Buddha be born in your heart every moment, because you have Buddhahood in you, you have the nature of the Buddha in you. Buddha is a living thing: Buddha is born, Buddha grows up, Buddha hides himself away, Buddha dies. But Buddhahood is there in us."
Old 03-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Master
I found this neato vid the other day on youtube and the Guru is in the room with all the smiling devotees, young and eager, and in amongst his talk he basically says "your desire for God is as great as it can ever be, but still you cannot find God, so you give up and surrender and you are just calm, at peace, no time passes.

Then the Angels come and send you up to God and you are God."

He worded the end stuff a bit different but essentially it was calm and patience... without desire, as you'll never gain what you seek until you stop seeking it and give up.

What I learnt from that was the transformation of breath. It took a few days but I suddenly realised there was a way of breathing I hadn't encountered. Desire and wanted stop becoming needs and wants and become part of the breath... they are transformed into patience.

I started breathing this way without knowing I was and saw the fears still within me and knew that patience and calm are the only antidote.Im not sure but it may be 'the living breath' if that even is anything. Edit- and so it is. http://www.thelivingbreath.com/
Old 03-01-2014, 01:42 AM
Neville

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthSatnam
Eastern mystics call it bhagti, aka loving devotion. The Truth is discovered through humility, compassion, selfless service and most importantly Love. It is a fearless Love, hence we stay grounded in the Truth for better or worse, through thick or thin.

I often find it amazing how some aspects of anothers text leap out at me and strike a resonance both deep and profound.