Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 13-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleWalker
Do you feel this is difficult for you to do--to anticipate that another (whom you want to see the best in) might do you harm?

I don't see it as non-loving to be circumspect, to use all the skills (both those "human" ones and the "spiritual" ones) in sussing out a situation.

Did you find it difficult to see that coming, and it was the pain of being surprised--in the past?
Yes. I was extremely naive and trusting, and had "projected" altruism and integrity onto numerous people in the past... and got burned. My intuition about people was somewhat blocked.

Not that everyone I knew was actually devious or selfish. Some were. A few were just youthful and disorganized, unable (rather than unwilling) to keep promises, etc.

I still incline toward being trusting - maybe too much so at times, though I've learned a good deal of prudence and don't often find myself in the situations I once found myself in. Most of the old hurts and confusions are healed.

Yet I feel I learned something worth learning. Because the "unconditional love" term comes up in discussions on this and other spiritual sites, I thought it would be worth discussing in a thread.

A couple of people have said that if one is in a relaxed, playful frame of mind, in which it is easy to be loving, bad situations seem be more likely to leave you untouched (and less likely to arise). And I agree with this, too.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanemon
A couple of people have said that if one is in a relaxed, playful frame of mind, in which it is easy to be loving, bad situations seem be more likely to leave you untouched (and less likely to arise). And I agree with this, too.

True. And getting oneself into that playful frame of mind...the next goal!

Lora
Old 14-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadows
Tobi, what you described is what I would call divine connection...rather than unconditional love. But it doesn't matter what we call it, your description is just what it is, how it feels and spot on x

Well when I experience it, it is so full of....Love It IS Love....if this is Divine, then I might have to reconsider what I never gave credence to (in my die-hard skepticism of the past) -That God is Love.
It feels like a mother's embrace that melts away everything which is not needed, and the spirit shines through, and all is well for sure.
Old 14-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Master
Speaking of not knowing what divine love is..I was once in IM with someone from here. I had just gone on a walk and felt very...spiritual there. I was explaining to her how it felt "really BIG" was all I could think of.

But the moment before I said that she typed, "Love". She said she felt it. I thought, "Oh, is that what that is?" What a dope! Maybe I don't know what love is. For me it just felt ...big!

Lora
Old 14-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator
....yeah....BIG..... I love that
Old 14-03-2013, 03:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleWalker
Tanemon--

Maybe I'm all wet here, as I seem to be the only one thinking this way--but is it not possible to be open, loving and finding the best in people and at the same time recognizing their ability to do the wrong thing? And, knowing that, it should be possible to know or sense when another is struggling with that boundary, while still loving them?

To me it's like watching a child struggle to crawl or walk. You stand back and give them freedom to learn on their own, even to fall within limits, but you also recognize when a situation is clearly unsafe and outside their boundaries of negotiating safely. You are protecting them from hurting themselves (in your example--hurting you or another) while still allowing that they have the ability and drive to "walk on their own".

In short: Can't you maintain both love and self-protection at the same time? I don't see them as mutually exclusive.

Lora

That's really love and practicality in one.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Master
This thread has been inactive for nearly nine months, but I thought it might be worth reviving.

Basically, I started this to ask for discussion about this issue: while many of us have experienced unconditional love as a divine virtue or experience, or principle, unconditional love is controversial. Some people feel that, ideally, we can live on the basis of it, and some feel it leaves a person open to being a "patsy" or a "mark". Those who feel it is impractical, in certain ways, often feel that they themselves or the loved ones for whom they have some responsibility can be harmed by people who will take advantage of kind, gentle people.

The situation leads some of us to wonder if intuition about the personal character of individuals one meets is important in order to balance pure love (or compassion, kindness, etc).

Just wondering if people have more to say about this subject. (If you're new to this thread and what it's about, maybe read the OP and at least scan the first page or two of the thread.)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Master

Hi Tanemon,
Unconditional is a powerful term of reference to add to love, as it predetermines having no conditions. So by definition your question contradicts your reasoning for asking it;
Quote:
Hence, I feel that while being able to contact and feel/appreciate Source - and recognize it in other people - the ability to sense the particularities of the human character of individuals is also important.
Likened to;
Quote:
The situation leads some of us to wonder if intuition about the personal character of individuals one meets is important in order to balance pure love (or compassion, kindness, etc).
As `pure love` may be balanced by its un-conditionality, rather than human elements of its caring or sharing.

I mean no disrespect in highlighting these elements of comparison, only to draw attention to the irrationality of trying to humanize a source element of loving energy which is not bound by human natures frailties. Yet it may raise the sensitivity of a human heart, to its Spiritual source nature. For it is only within the human heart, and not the nature of human mindfulness, that unconditional love may be recognized or realized, within human nature.

From my own understanding, I would suggest that the presence/influence of unconditional love. Is more recognizable in the discovery of `forgiveness`, after being wronged, as opposed to a preconditioned forewarning prior to its potentiality. As forgiveness heals the self from any wrong done to it, when it is given to one who needs it more.

We cannot predict a wrong before it arrives, or no one would ever be open to be wronged. So it is that openness in heart and intention which risks, to gain from a new sharing, or an opportunity to forgive. As I reflect my own nature in self-reflection, rather than the nature of one who has wronged me, I have found forgiveness to be a healing love, more powerful than the creative shared caring and sharing. Because it self-reflects the truth of un-conditionality in my heart, and its nature of love.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:46 AM
truestudentoflife

I believe you can love unconditionally and still be "prudent" about who you let in your inner circle. I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive. Just like you can still love someone you hate. Mind-bending, isn't it? :)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:

Hence, I feel that while being able to contact and feel/appreciate Source - and recognize it in other people - the ability to sense the particularities of the human character of individuals is also important.

I agree.

From my perspective, both Awareness and Unconditional Love can be of great value and purposefully utilized. For example, you can be aware that someone is not out for your best interests and you can still Love them unconditionally.

Awareness allows us to see the ego-self in others, whereas Unconditional Love allows us to see the Truth (or God-Self) in others.