Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 21-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
jojo50,

Thanks for sharing this scripture. I was not familiar with it so I thought it would be worthwhile to read the entire chapter of 22 Ezekiel. It was a scathing indictment of Jerusalem and I fear it could be a similar indictment for our present times.

22:4....."Therefore I will make you an object of scorn to the nations and a laughingstock to all the countries. Those who are near and those who are far away will mock you, O infamous city, full of turmoil". Isn't this happening on some scale in our present times?

22:29 "The people of the land practice extortion and commit robbery; they oppress the poor and needy and mistreat the alien, denying them justice". Once again familiar enough to sound quite familar and causes one to be uncomfortable.

The gap prayer implored to find one who would stand up and confront these outrages in a visible effort and way to save the city. In our times we look for the same thing. Others seem to doubt the efficacy of intercessory prayer but I would beg to disagree. But then sometimes scriptures seem to speak wisdom to you personally, whereas others see no message.

' Others seem to doubt the efficacy of intercessory prayer '

Intercessory prayers won't feed the worlds hungry....., neither comfort the injured in war zones, actions speak louder than words.....
Old 21-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Others seem to doubt the efficacy of intercessory prayer
Nobody expressed doubt about that. The comments rather had to do with the pretentiousness of person A claiming person B is lost. Also, person A's pompous belief that s/he isn't. As well, person A's arrogance in thinking s/he has the ability to help save (?) this so-called lost person B.

Pray for a person, sure. But doing it to save them? That's conceit.
Old 21-07-2018, 05:01 PM
FrankieJG

Thank you all for your helpful replies to my question.

My childhood friend is on a wrong path and she sees it as the right path.It saddens me to see her that way. I don't want to pray to gain something in return. I genuinely want my friend to come out of the delusion - seeing wrong things as right things and letting her life ruin without her even knowing. I feel it as a responsibility.

Last edited by FrankieJG : 22-07-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 21-07-2018, 05:04 PM
FrankieJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Standing in the gap prayers are not as simple as just praying for others, they are said on ' behalf of others ' who are unable to pray for themselves or unwilling to pray. They are called ' Intercesssion prayers ', said for those who are lost.

Yes this!! I want to pray on behalf of my friend. Have you tried this kind of prayer before?
Old 21-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieJG
Yes this!! I want to pray on behalf of my friend. Have you tried this kind of prayer before?

I have but only if they asked me to. You do what you feel is right for you, as long as you don't hurt others
Old 21-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Master
.............n/m

Last edited by Baile : 21-07-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 22-07-2018, 02:39 AM
FrankieJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I have but only if they asked me to. You do what you feel is right for you, as long as you don't hurt others

My intentions are pure. Can you tell me how you did it?
Old 22-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Master
Quote:
My intentions are pure. Can you tell me how you did it?

How did I do what?
I'm a bit confused on what you are asking.
Old 22-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Master
Quote:
My intentions are pure.
I deleted my previous reply. But reading this now, I am going to say something. You wrote:

My childhood friend is on a wrong path
she sees it as the right path
I want my friend to come out of the delusion
seeing wrong things as right things
letting her life ruin without her even knowing

Everything you posted here is nothing more than judgment and conceit. Your belief that she is living her life wrong, is judgment. Your belief that you know what the right path is for her, is conceit. And it doesn't matter how pure you think your intentions are. The only consideration here is that what she chooses to do and think, is not your business.

Now, that changes somewhat IF the issue is actually serious: if she is doing illegal things, or is addicted to alcohol or drugs, or is endangering herself and/or others. Then it's not prayers she needs, it's intervention. The police. Counseling. A rehab center.
Old 23-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Nobody expressed doubt about that. The comments rather had to do with the pretentiousness of person A claiming person B is lost. Also, person A's pompous belief that s/he isn't. As well, person A's arrogance in thinking s/he has the ability to help save (?) this so-called lost person B.

Pray for a person, sure. But doing it to save them? That's conceit.

Baile,

It is possible that we are talking apples and oranges here......:) I would agree somewhat with you if you are assuming this prayer is either an oral prayer given person to person or if it is a public prayer given to a wider audience. But I would suggest that most prayers....the vast majority, in fact, are silent prayers. Perhaps the most common example would be the prayers of parents given to their children. Rather than this being a display of conceit, I would consider that to be a display of hope. Would you consider these silent prayes to also be considered to emanate from conceit?