Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 24-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Bison mourn their dead.

A young Bison calf, injured, succumbed to the Russian winter, and died.
Wolves came to eat the carcasse.
Protective of the body of their young one, the herd of Bison chased the wolves away, and proceeded to gather round, sniffing and nuzzling at the calf's body for some time. This apparently is typical of Bison, who mourn their dead.

(from "Wolves in Chernobyl Dead Zone")

http://youtu.be/y0wuc8SsMMI

(27:00 to 28:25)
Old 24-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Master

Incidentally, elephants are well known for mourning their dead even after they have been reduced to skeletons, some times carrying a bone of a passed on friend for many miles.
Old 24-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Yes they do. Their emotions must obviously be very deep.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Master

They mourn their dead as do many species, from elephants to chimps to magpies.
Something indicative of love, empathy, family/brotherhood, value of life and a form of animal spirituality.

'We' may like to think 'we' humans have a monopoly on feeling and emotion - makes abusing the Animal Kingdom for food, skin clothing, 'sport' and vivisection experimentation that much more palatable - but we clearly don't. (You don't have to look any further than the dog at your feet to see that it is so.)

Reverence for all living things!

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 25-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
When my dog passed over last summer, she left a friend behind. A neighbour's dog. They were very close for 10 years, since she first came to live with me. He mourned hard. He lay on the stone outside his farm and hardly moved. I went to visit him every day. After about a month he suddenly came out of it and is fine now. His caretakers said he was getting old and they thought he had dementia (though he shows no sign of such things now, and hadn't before my dog passed)
I said maybe he was grieving. But they were skeptical.
I think they might wonder now, as he is now perfectly fine.
Old 25-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Ascender
So many types of animal mourn the passing over of others. It is another sign (amongst many) of the spirituality of animals. Thank you for such a good thread, Tobi!

Sometimes, mourning goes beyond "own species". The story of Greyfriars Bobby (please Google if interested) always comes to mind. 14 years by his caretaker's grave! Now that's what I call dedication!
Old 25-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, LPC, there have been quite a few instances like that. The story of Hachiko (the Japanese dog whose caretaker always used to come home from work at a certain time to the local station, and the dog would always be there to greet him. The man passed over, and every day that dog went to the station hoping to meet him for 10 years.)
There was another instance I read of recently too about a dog who kept going to sleep on its deceased caretaker's grave, every night. The locals fed it. I think that was in China...?