Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Islam Faith

Old 29-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Newbie ;)

Can women marry more than one man?

Since polygamy was only permitted to provide for widowed women and their children, this purpose would not be served by polyandry, i.e. the marriage of a woman to more than one man, hence there was no point in permitting it.
Old 29-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Ascender

Polyandry goes on in Tibet. Usually a woman is married to 2 brothers or occasionally to a father and son. It's normally done to avoid breaking up the family land.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
Polyandry goes on in Tibet. Usually a woman is married to 2 brothers or occasionally to a father and son. It's normally done to avoid breaking up the family land.

The only way to make it fair is to permit men AND women to have multiple spouses Otherwise it's one-sided and out of balance. Very bad ju-ju
Old 06-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Guide

i saw a documentary from the 70s or 80s. somewhere in some east asian country, one of the populations there have this custom of marrying a woman to more than one man.
in one case, one woman married 2 (or was it 3 or 4?) brothers. but this is the thing: the men were related by blood. and they have to be related by blood. after a few years, the husbands found another woman to marry - this was good, because their wife was doing everything by herself [cooking, washing, cleaning, and other chores] and having another woman in their family meant splitting the chores, and making things easier..

i believe it was done because their population was small in numbers, and they didnt want the blood from other populations mixed in. i also think they didnt have enough women born to marry to each man.

of course, this was very weird to see, for my western eyes..

so, in theory women can marry more men.. should it be done? i don't really think so, not in our western society where women are still objectified and mistreated.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mused
so, in theory women can marry more men.. should it be done? i don't really think so, not in our western society where women are still objectified and mistreated.

If I ever have a chance at getting married I'm going to be the last man that girl is ever with. It's what my father had. It's what my grandfather had. It's what my great-grandfather had. It's only fair that's what I'll have to.

The question y'all -should- be asking is "WHY would someone want to marry multiple folk?" Seriously, dating one person is hard enough labor as it is already... I mean if I was a millionaire then my outlook would be different yes but as a commoner I don't see much in my favor.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 AM
Ascender

They do in this one sci-fi book I read: Red Rising. The Obsidian caste women have children from multiple men. But that's sci-fi lol.

On a serious note, I don't see why not. Polygamy seems to make more sense to me as I get older with how unhappy people can be in relationships it seems time to try something else.
Old 27-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Seeker

Anthropologically speaking.. thre are many cultures that practice polygamy..

In islam however it is NOT permitted.. it IS permitted IF the relationship is not working out and after a divorce a woman can marry whomever she likes..

AT the same time.. many sects of Islam beleive men can't mary more than a single woman unless certain criteria is met.. i.e.. the couple cannot have kids?? the second wife can't look after herself?? if she is having to sell herself to live, to take care of her children?? in cases like this it is actually a mans duty to amrry and make an honest women of that lady??

again,, many folks beleive that even after the criteria is met??? the first wife has to be asked and HAD to agree to it???

Islam isn't as bad as many make it out to be.. it is the very uneducated and those who don't understandf the religion who cherry pick words and sentences out of context and abuse/circumnavigate through the rules for their own gain and own selfish agendas.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Master
It's one thing to take in a single mum or widow in ancient times out of social duty since there were no social services at hand. But it's another to do so when you've already a wife (or several). And it's yet another to do so even if as a single man, your shelter of her is conditional on your penetration of her.

These are the reprehensible, vile, distasteful aspects of our past...and, oh that's right, our present as well in many countries and cultures round the globe. In many ways, Western culture cannot be excluded, either, since many women in the West have essentially prostituted (and found they were required to prostitute) themselves repeatedly up front to try to find a partner and thus make a family &/or obtain financial support for themselves and/or their children.

Likewise, having to be shared between two gents is also a pretty loathesome situation for a woman to be in, but we can find this where there is an extreme shortage of women (usually due to female infanticide, high rates of morbidity in pregnancy and childbirth, and so forth).

In many of these situations, they are made culturally "acceptable" by women's much lower social status and are then imposed onto women by force. In non-Western cultures, there are often no alternatives and the outcome (forced marriage, forcing a woman into polygamy or as noted here even onto multiple men) is generally unavoidable, often on pain of death.

As women gain social status and the security and freedom from violence that accompany greater social parity, they would nearly always avoid these inherently dehumanising and exploitative situations if at all possible.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 02-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Suspended
Quran 4. Al Nisa' (The Women) :3.
If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans,(508) Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice.