Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 22-11-2017, 01:02 AM
Master

It doesn't seem possible that we're all as good at something

We all know that not all people can run fast, or throw far, or are good at some sport, or play well a musical instrument, ...; this list is infinite.

If you're poor at any of those you know it, and you won't do it in fear of looking ridiculous.

Why doesn't this apply to thinking and reasoning?

We all have an opinion on almost anything, and most of the time we're convinced to be right. We rarely shy from stating and arguing it, and easily dismiss alternative opinions no matter who's on the other side of the argument.

It doesn't seem possible that we're all as good at thinking, but we seem not to be able to see it.
Old 22-11-2017, 02:53 AM
Knower

Nice inquiry.

Reminds me of a TED talk: Sam Harris:
Science Can Answer Questions About
Morality.

Basically, same premise, why can't people
perfect the art of thinking, morality, logic/
rational thinking, etc.

Is there some benchmark, some standard,
we measure by. Is there such thing as being
morally inferior / superior or lower & higher
levels of thinking?

Yes & No. I feel there is an undercurrent
of truth that flows through all. That everyone
has predispositions, are at various levels
& degrees of development & maturation:
including cognitively. There is always
potential for growth. Also, there are many
forms of genius & many expressions of the
divine through the mental landscape.

Personally, I don't deal much in matters of
right & wrong but how one got there. Every
being is on their own path to enlightenment
and it is important to allow for them to find
it themselves. Guide, yes. But allow for that
space for exploration & discovery
Old 22-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Master
im gid it art ill be evn gud it still wen i get my

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 22-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Master
If everyone thought the same there would be no balance. If everyone thought like a dr., no one would be sick there for no use for a dr.
Old 22-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Master
evry 1 is gud it suthng thy r
evn if its dofnt thng
frm cookin
art
singin
instrmsts

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 22-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
We all know that not all people can run fast, or throw far, or are good at some sport, or play well a musical instrument, ...; this list is infinite.

If you're poor at any of those you know it, and you won't do it in fear of looking ridiculous.

We all have an opinion on almost anything, and most of the time we're convinced to be right. We rarely shy from stating and arguing it, and easily dismiss alternative opinions no matter who's on the other side of the argument.

It doesn't seem possible that we're all as good at thinking, but we seem not to be able to see it.

We are masters at thinking, the problem is what we think
Old 22-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream jo
evry 1 is gud it suthng thy r
evn if its dofnt thng
frm cookin
art
singin
instrmsts

Yes Jo, we all have something to offer
Old 22-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:

Unless you decide "I will" and work away at it until you reach the your desired standard. It's equally important to recognise if you're unlikely to be proficient whereon is isn't so much negative "giving up" as don't go on living under delusion. Do something else. You have a small hand span? You won't ever play Liszt's piano music well.

Quote:
Doesn't it?

Quote:

Good at thinking? We all think, ruminate, analyse, compare and things. Some have skills in some areas, others in other areas. Sometimes other factors are engaged: memory, imagination, mood. Skills can be sharpened depending on the effort someone's willing to spend. Opinions? Arise in the absence of facts or when an analysis provides a range of answers none of which may be right. But it's in the nature of a self-improver to listen to others with whom one doesn't initially agree. You never know, you might learn something useful! Then again it might drive you to a deeper analysis that could validate or invalidate your view. Questioning is important in matters like spiritual development. As I see it.

All good stuff.
Pax tecum.
Old 22-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Master

Quote:

=============================================

I'd like to break this into 2 parts because you answered what you see in one place that may apply is another. What if you don't as you see it, don't out of fear for being criticized. Is this something you consider. I know I was and feel we are told what to think and we don't realize we have been.
Old 22-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Master

My point was more about the fact that we seem to be able to figure out for ourselves, and accept it, when we have insurmountable limitations at performing in some fields (physical, artistic, sports, and other abilities), but we aren't able to figure out, and accept, that we might have insurmountable thinking limitations.