Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 04-02-2019, 06:26 AM
Knower

Is Everything Predetermined?

Is Everything predetermined? If so. Is there no Free Will?

I am not seeking answers to these questions.

Science has a take on this.

Late Dr. Stephen Hawking, the well known physicist, was asked this question.
Is Everything predetermined?

His answer was. - “Yes. (Please note he said Yes first and then immediately added) It may as well be not, because you can never know what is predetermined.”

Principle of Uncertainty, Quantum Mechanics, Bells Theorem, Theory of Relativity – All these point to a certain reality, which is subject to interpretation.

And yet the search for the Grand Unified Theory is still going on.

Various Spiritual Masters too have said many different things in many different contexts, about the above doctrine and as it stands there will be many different interpretations.

What I am looking at is the effect, of acceptance OR non-acceptance of such a doctrine, on the common people.

Some may say – If everything is predetermined – Why should I do anything? Would it lead to this kind of fatalistic attitude?
Some may say – It is all my effort that have led to successes – However as soon as failure strikes – It is my bad luck. My destiny.

There may be people who take things in their stride and say It is my Karma.

I am sure there are many more questions that would arise……

Each one of us would have personal experiential understanding on the above points. It would be interesting to know…..
Old 04-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Master
Ah! But you said at the outset that you seek no answers! :)

Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Administrator
My answer to this would be Yes some things are predetermined but not all this is where Free will comes in. I believe our births are predetermined but not always wanted as in my case I didn't want to come back.and I believe that death is predetermined you go when your time is up.

Namaste
Old 04-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
Ah! But you said at the outset that you seek no answers! :)

Wasn't your reaction predestined?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:54 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
My answer to this would be Yes some things are predetermined but not all this is where Free will comes in. I believe our births are predetermined but not always wanted as in my case I didn't want to come back.and I believe that death is predetermined you go when your time is up.

Namaste

Your's is an interesting thought.
I had read that a spiritual teacher described free will is like - A sheep tied to a pole with a long rope. The sheep has all the free will in that (sweep) area. Namaskar
Old 04-02-2019, 12:48 PM
Master
God being love absolute and where love is there is no force, our free will determines how long we wish to playfully engage in delusion of duality :)

Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
I had read that a spiritual teacher described free will is like - A sheep tied to a pole with a long rope. The sheep has all the free will in that (sweep) area. Namaskar

A couple of quotes from Alice Bailey.

It might be said that within the limits of the intelligent direction of the intelligent man, there is free will, as far as activity in the human kingdom is concerned. Where no mind activity is present, and where there is no power to discriminate, to analyse and to choose, there is no free will. Within the vaster processes of the Plan, however, as it includes the entire planetary evolution, there is, for the tiny unit, man, no free will. He is subject, for instance, to what we call "acts of God", and before these he is helpless. He has no choice and no escape. Herein lies a hint upon the working of karma in the human kingdom; karma and intelligent responsibility are inextricably woven and interwoven.

The great distinction between the human kingdom in the three worlds, and the other kingdoms in nature, is the factor of free will. In the matter of death, this free will has, in the last analysis, a definite relation to the soul; the will of the soul is either consciously or unconsciously followed, where the decision of death is concerned, and this idea carries with it many implications, which students would do well to ponder.

Peace.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
...our free will determines how long we wish to playfully engage in delusion of duality :)
I agree...I might have said, 'our stupidity...", tho.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 05-02-2019, 12:13 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
Is Everything predetermined? If so. Is there no Free Will?

I am not seeking answers to these questions.

Science has a take on this.

Late Dr. Stephen Hawking, the well known physicist, was asked this question.
Is Everything predetermined?

His answer was. - “Yes. (Please note he said Yes first and then immediately added) It may as well be not, because you can never know what is predetermined.”

Principle of Uncertainty, Quantum Mechanics, Bells Theorem, Theory of Relativity – All these point to a certain reality, which is subject to interpretation.

And yet the search for the Grand Unified Theory is still going on.

Various Spiritual Masters too have said many different things in many different contexts, about the above doctrine and as it stands there will be many different interpretations.

What I am looking at is the effect, of acceptance OR non-acceptance of such a doctrine, on the common people.

Some may say – If everything is predetermined – Why should I do anything? Would it lead to this kind of fatalistic attitude?
Some may say – It is all my effort that have led to successes – However as soon as failure strikes – It is my bad luck. My destiny.

There may be people who take things in their stride and say It is my Karma.

I am sure there are many more questions that would arise……

Each one of us would have personal experiential understanding on the above points. It would be interesting to know…..

You create your own reality. You can see your future, and you can change it as you like.

Such questions can't be answered using logic, or science.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:57 AM
Pathfinder
Yes. There is no such thing as free will:

"Your brain makes up its mind up to ten seconds before you realize it, according to researchers." - - LINK

Decisions are made before you are ever consciously aware of making a choice. Free will is an illusion of the mind.

Affirmation are thus really important because your unconscious mind makes decisions for you.