Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Master
*as human beings, are nothing else but automatic engines, controlled by external influence. Through incessant observation I have so convinced myself of the truth of this that I cannot perform any act or even conceive a thought without locating at once the external stimulus that prompted it.*

So what is he saying here. We're organic computers that can't work unless there's this outside thing that activates us?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Pathfinder

I guess so, but he also said this "what we call 'soul' or 'spirit,' is nothing more than the sum of the functionings of the body. When this functioning ceases, the 'soul' or the 'spirit' ceases likewise".

and this "SINCE time immemorial the most profound thinkers have tried to lift the veil that hides the beyond," said Mr. Tesla. "As for myself, I have read thousands of volumes of literature and thought for years in the hope that I might get some kind of evidence to show that death is not the end. But all in vain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
*as human beings, are nothing else but automatic engines, controlled by external influence. Through incessant observation I have so convinced myself of the truth of this that I cannot perform any act or even conceive a thought without locating at once the external stimulus that prompted it.*

So what is he saying here. We're organic computers that can't work unless there's this outside thing that activates us?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyan
I guess so, but he also said this "what we call 'soul' or 'spirit,' is nothing more than the sum of the functionings of the body. When this functioning ceases, the 'soul' or the 'spirit' ceases likewise".

and this "SINCE time immemorial the most profound thinkers have tried to lift the veil that hides the beyond," said Mr. Tesla. "As for myself, I have read thousands of volumes of literature and thought for years in the hope that I might get some kind of evidence to show that death is not the end. But all in vain"
He seems to contradict himself. On the one hand he's acknowledging that there is a soul and a beyond. But hasn't mentioned what he thinks it is. Which is fair enough. Seems to be saying he believed or knew there was something other though.

I'm glad you started this thread. Interesting.

Made me think of an audio book I was listening too called The Field by Lynn Taggart. It's free on YouTube btw. Maybe that's what all the dark matter is. That our body is the receiver from this field. I found it really interesting and thought provoking.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Master
The movie if it's of any interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3NReXvo1pY
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Guide
Quote:
What do you mean? His beliefs are in contradiction from what he said ?

When dealing with matters of spirituality there will always be contradictory thoughts until we sort it all out.

Also at different points in our lives we may fundamentally change our beliefs, as we grow and learn. He would be no different.

Also what we believe internally and what we express to the world are not always the same, context is key.....who was he speaking to at the time, what was he speaking about when the particular quotes came up, etc.

He had a vision of the universe that was different than most people on the planet. We cannot really judge what is contradictions to him.....maybe from his view there is a harmony there. I know from my own personal experience people have tried to catch me in a trap of saying "how can you say you believe this and also say you believe this", when from my view those things are not in contradiction....and I am no Tesla.
Old 19-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Pathfinder

The excerpt below is taken from "My Inventions" written by Nikola Tesla himself as part of his autobiography (1919), while the previous posts were from interviews taken in 1937, what do you think of it? Was he spiritual or not? Seems he was not as he found scientific explanation to dismantle spiritual experience

Ever since I was told by some of the greatest men of the time, leaders in science whose names are immortal, that I am possesst of an unusual mind, I bent all my thinking faculties on the solution of great problems regardless of sacrifice.

For many years I endeavored to solve the enigma of death, and watched eagerly for every kind of spiritual indication. But only once in the course of my
existence have I had an experience which momentarily impressed me as supernatural. It was at the time of my mother’s death. I had become completely exhausted by pain and long vigilance, and one night was carried to a building about two blocks from our home. As I lay helpless there, I thought that if my mother died while I was away from her bedside she would surely give me a sign. Two or three months before I was in London in company with my late friend, Sir William Crookes, when spiritualism was discussed, and I was under the full sway of these thoughts. I might not have paid attention to other men, but was susceptible to his arguments as it was his epochal work on radiant matter, which I had read as a student, that made me embrace the electrical career.

I reflected that the conditions for a look into the beyond were most favorable, for my mother was a woman of genius and particularly excelling in the powers of intuition. During the whole night every fiber in my brain was strained in expectancy, but nothing happened until early in the morning, when I fell in a sleep, or perhaps a swoon, and saw a cloud carrying angelic figures of marvelous beauty, one of whom gazed upon me lovingly and gradually assumed the features of my mother. The appearance slowly floated across the room and vanished, and I was awakened by an indescribably sweet song of many voices. In that instant a certitude, which no words can express, came upon me that my mother had just died. And that was true. I was unable to understand the tremendous weight of the painful knowledge I received in advance, and wrote a letter to Sir William Crookes while still under the domination of these impressions and in poor bodily health. When I recovered I sought for a long time the external cause of this strange manifestation and, to my great relief, I succeeded after many months of fruitless effort. I had seen the painting of a celebrated artist, representing allegorically one of the seasons in the form of a cloud with a group of angels which seemed to actually float in the air, and this had struck me forcefully. It was exactly the same that appeared in my dream, with the exception of my mother’s likeness. The music came from the choir in the church nearby at the early mass of Easter morning, explaining everything satisfactorily in conformity with scientific facts.

This occurred long ago, and I have never had the faintest reason since to change my views on psychical and spiritual phenomena, for which there is absolutely no foundation. The belief in these is the natural outgrowth of intellectual development. Religious dogmas are no longer accepted in
their orthodox meaning, but every individual clings to faith in a supreme power of some kind. We all must have an ideal to govern our conduct and insure contentment, but it is immaterial whether it be one of creed, art, science or anything else, so long as it fulfills the function of a dematerializing force. It is essential to the peaceful existence of humanity as a whole that one common conception should prevail.

While I have failed to obtain any evidence in support of the contentions of psychologists and spiritualists, I have proved to my complete satisfaction the automatism of life, not only through continuous observations of individual actions, but even more conclusively through certain generalizations. These amount to a discovery which I consider of the greatest moment to human society, and on which I shall briefly dwell. I got the first inkling of this astounding truth when I was still a very young man, but for many years I interpreted what I noted simply as coincidences. Namely, whenever either myself or a person to whom I was attached, or a cause to which I was devoted, was hurt by others in a particular way, which might be best popularly characterized as the
most unfair imaginable, I experienced a singular and undefinable pain which, for want of a better term, I have qualified as “cosmic,” and shortly thereafter, and invariably, those who had inflicted it came to grief. After many such cases I confided this to a number of friends, who had the opportunity to convince themselves of the truth of the theory which I have gradually formulated and which may be stated in the following few words:

Our bodies are of similar construction and exposed to the same external influences. This results in likeness of response and concordance of the general activities on which all our social and other rules and laws are based. We are automata entirely controlled by the forces of the medium being tossed about like corks on the surface of the water, but mistaking the resultant of the impulses from the outside for free will. The movements and other actions we perform are always life preservative and tho seemingly quite independent from one another, we are connected by invisible links. So long as the organism is in perfect order it responds accurately to the agents that prompt it, but the moment that there is some derangement in any individual, his self-preservative power is impaired. Everybody understands, of course, that if one becomes deaf, has his eyesight weakened, or his limbs injured, the chances for his continued existence are lessened. But this is also true, and perhaps more so, of certain defects in the brain which deprive the automaton, more or less, of that vital quality and cause it to rush into destruction.

Last edited by noyan : 19-05-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 19-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Master

From the little I read of this thread he believes in a man made or body made soul and spirit but not a divine made spirit with eternal life.

;;poof;; gone when he dies.
Old 19-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
From the little I read of this thread he believes in a man made or body made soul and spirit but not a divine made spirit with eternal life.

;;poof;; gone when he dies.

Thanks for reply. So from your understanding he was sort of materialist despite talking about non physical dimensions? He regarded the soul as the body, correct? This makes him a nonbeliever and nonspiritual, correct?
Old 19-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Master

Quote:
Thanks for reply. So from your understanding he was sort of materialist despite talking about non physical dimensions? He regarded the soul as the body, correct? This makes him a nonbeliever and nonspiritual, correct?

In my opinion yes to all your questions in a spiritual sense as I understand spirituality.

We used to call a dual or split belief an oxymoron.

In his definition man creates the human soul and spirit. In my definition a divine creator or creators creates the eternal soul to inhabit it's early years fitting into a physical body for learning purposes. It is my personal belief the spirit is created by the body but after death merges with the eternal soul giving it life throughout eternity.

Not sure who he thinks is supposed to inhabit his non physical dimensions if souls like us don't survive death.

I mean the old saying If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? If there is no one to hear it, does the sound exist?

Same with these non physical dimensions. Do they exist if no one inhabits them?