Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Divination > Numerology, Runes etc.

Old 13-05-2011, 08:42 PM
dhaga

My first experience with the runes was also the set that came with the Ralph Blum book; the book focuses on divination interpretations and techniques. I got that 16 or 17 years ago. It's still the only physical set I have. Someday, I will make my own set but those have worked fine for me... I haven't actually divined with them in several years. I do agree the blank rune can be tossed; if I remember correctly, it represents "the unknown"... there's always a bit of that with divination anyway :)

Animus -- I've found a lot of knowledge in Edred Thorsson's writings, when it comes to the magical properties and use of the elder futhark set of runes, as well as a bit of history and interpretation. I guess like pretty much everything else, it's all in what one finds "useful" and what you are looking to learn.

I'll have to check out the Pollington book; I haven't picked up a new rune book in a long time.
Old 21-05-2011, 01:24 AM
paulrosk

I tried to get into the Runes a while ago, purchased several sets, one really beautiful hand painted made from River Stones. Couldn't get it all together, tried for weeks. I even purchased 2 sets of Runes "Cards" to make it easier, still had trouble interpreting those Runes. It wasn't until I saw that the Runes can actually correspond to the cards of the Tarot Major Arcana that I started to make sense out of the whole mess. I'm still trying to get somewhere, but it's a slow road. I'm much better at Tarot and Oracle cards, but I heard once where someone actually used a set of Runes and tossed them on her Tarot cards to make card selections, then paired up the Rune and the card it fell on for a deeper interpretation. She was great at it, and it always seemed to work perfectly for her. I'm still working at it, not ready to give up just yet. Besides with the Runes you only have to learn 25 meanings, where in Tarot you need to learn 78 meanings!

"The Quest Tarot" deck has the "Runes" printed on the Major Arcana cards, but not much depth in the book about them.

If you want any easy way to learn the Runes I suggest "The Rune Vision Cards" by Sylvia Gainsford with Howard Rodway. Published by AGM (AGMULLER). It's a card set with a great book included. Each card has the Rune symbol plus a picture and the NAME of the rune, great for learning what each rune is and it's name. They say you can find it here: www.tarotworld.com but I'm sure Amazon has it too. OK I checked www.tarotworld.com, they have it:

http://www.tarotworld.com/Content/ta...s/1/index.html

So check it out, might just help you a lot!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe of Wildwood
ya, I feel thrifty. I found out about runes in a book I got for a dime at a charity book sale, and didn't know you could buy them. So I spent a long while collecting shiny stones I found that were flat enough to use and that I thought felt right together, and then painted the runes on them myself. Probably means I've got a deeper connection with mine than if I'd bought 'em, huh?

(kinda off topic, but always suprised that people can buy them, kinda wanna buy a carved set, always having to repaint mine)

hi Wildwolfe !

Very cool that you painted your own set of runes ! Just an idea that might help you ~ you can seal the rocks after you paint them. Either by using clear nail polish or there are a variety of sealers in the craft dept that sells acrylic paints. Some of the sealers have a slightly shiny sheen, usually called Satin Varnish - comes in a bottle usually and clean up is soap and water or there is a Matte Finish Varnish, more of a dull or non- shiny finish.

Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Deactivated Account

Runes look very interesting, but most confusing ! Especially if one needs to go by their own intuition as to what the meanings of the stones are, how does one figure that out ? Or does one use a book at first and then go from there ?

Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !

Old 28-06-2011, 09:08 PM
dhaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Angel
Runes look very interesting, but most confusing ! Especially if one needs to go by their own intuition as to what the meanings of the stones are, how does one figure that out ? Or does one use a book at first and then go from there ?

Dream Angel xx

Like any divination method, it is easiest to start with a book to find the meanings, then let intuition be your guide on how they work together.
Old 19-08-2011, 02:18 PM
sunwolf411

from Sunwolf411

You can buy Ralph Blum's "The book of Runes", it has instructions, interpretations, and comes with a set of runes. It is an excellent beginners book, I still refer to it. I choose a rune everyday, write out the interpretation and meditate on it's meaning. You also write your day's or weeks issue that you have, then write the interpretation. I read my interpretations once in a while to see my progress, which is extraordinary. The book has instructions on how to cast, how to pick your rune (or runes if you are doing a spread) - this book has everything in it you need to know about runes, I refer to it all the time. Runes are for self improvement mostly, Mr. Blum also wrote a book "The Healing Runes" which is also very helpful. I have read several books on runes and this book is the best one as far as I am concerned. It's all self improvement. you can get the book by ordering it from Amazon on the computer. Some bookstores have it, but very few. They are fun, try them!
Old 20-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Experiencer
So let me ask this... I think I saw this earlier ..and I apologize if this is a rehash of earlier posts.. but is it better to make your own or purchase a set that jumps off the shelf at you?

I bought a set a while back and haven't used them yet. I cleansed them and they seem to resonate a little better.

But I would like to make my own and see how those feel in comparison...

Any thoughts?
Old 22-08-2011, 05:27 AM
iolite

If you read Blum's book, he talks about his research into runes and their meaning. He met a woman who made her own set. His runes are quite nice to use, but if you feel pulled to make your own, go a head. I've used sculpy as well as large round glass nuggets (the kind used for flower arranging). I drew the runes on with a gold paint pen. All sets worked very well for me. Then my daughter got a hold of them and I don't think I have a complete set among them.
Old 22-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Medium_Laura

You can also get nice sets of semiprecious stones on ebay :) I bought mine in a shop. They are hematite with gold etched in.

Great divination tool :)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Deactivated Account

Finnster,

I have heard that people that make their own rune set, have a closer connection to the stones.

Give it a try, make your own set and then let us know which set you feel a closer connection with.

Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !