Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 13-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats
psychoslice,

re: “...you did say something about the Sabbath, when you replied to theophilus, so there.”

That is incorrect. I did not mention the Sabbath in that reply.
Nothing to panic about, i'm just not use to seeing the little, re; written in front of the others statement that's all, maybe I should start a thread on the Sabbath, seeing that most Christians don't understand it.
Old 23-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Knower

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.
Old 23-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Lachoneus

Interesting Stuff

I'm a Christian myself and I think that this passage has been a topic of a lot of talk. We also have to take into account some other things here as well.

* The Gregorian Calendar (also known as the Western Calendar or the Christian Calendar) was introduced on 24 Feb 1582 by Pop Gregory XIII and is the internationally accepted calendar
* The days of the week was introduced by Constantine the Great back in 321 AD; prior to that, the calendar was counted (like 1, 2, 3, etc.) instead of having the names of the week that we typically have today (which names can from the pagan world)

The sabbath was used in the scriptures, but it could have fallen on any day of the week, not necessarily on Sunday. The Sabbath could have fallen on a Wednesday or Friday or any other day of the week on today's calendar.

Just another point to consider.

Here are some links that you can look at if you're interested in reading what I googled.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_did_...et_their_names
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

As for any other sources that you may be looking for or thinking of, I'm not too sure; but that doesn't mean that there isn't anything to the fact that has been stated or cited.
Old 23-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Knower

Lachoneus,

re: “The sabbath was used in the scriptures, but it could have fallen on any day of the week...”

Actually, it couldn’t. The fourth commandment (third if you’re RC) specifically states that it is the seventh day of the week.

Assuming that the Messiah knew which day of the week the Sabbath was, we can know what day it is today. Although the calendar in use, a Roman calendar, has been changed, that change did not break the weekly cycle. Prior to the change, it was called the Julian calendar because it originated at the time of Julius Caesar, 45 B.C. - several decades before the birth of the Messiah. The one change was ordered by Pope Gregory, and since then it has been called the Gregorian calendar. <p> However, as mentioned above, the change did not alter the weekly cycle. The “Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 9, p. 251, under the article “Lilius,” says, regarding this change, that “….every imaginable proposition was made, only one idea was never mentioned, viz, the abandonment of the seven-day week.” Vol. 3, p. 740, under the article “Chronology,” the same reference, says that “It is to be noted that in the Christian period, the order of days in the week has never been interrupted.” <p> So it would seem that the weekly cycle of the calendar that has been in effect since 45 B.C. has never had any alteration from the time of the Messiah until now. The Saturday of today is the same seventh day of the week as it was in the Messiah’s time. One could, therefore, be pretty sure that they would be keeping the same Sabbath day that the Messiah kept, setting an example - the same day He said He was Lord of.

If you have documentation that shows an interruption in the weekly cycle since the first century, I would really like to see it.
Old 23-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Royalite

Is the argument that as a true Christian one ought to go to church on a Saturday instead of a Sunday?
Old 23-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Knower

Prinie,

re: “Is the argument that as a true Christian one ought to go to church on a Saturday instead of a Sunday?”

Not for the purpose of this topic. I am only concerned with what I requested in the OP.
Old 23-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Lachoneus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats
The fourth commandment (third if you’re RC) specifically states that it is the seventh day of the week.

I agree in what you said about this commandment. Laboring for 6 days and having the Sabbath on the 7th day. When Moses received the commandments, they didn't have names for the days of the week like we have today. If so, it would have stated in the commandments to hold the Sabbath on Saturday or on Sunday. But it just said to do our labors for 6 days and rest as well as having the Sabbath on the 7th day. It could have been at the time of Christ that the Sabbath fell on a Saturday or on a Sunday depending on which faith one belongs to and in what you may believe as to what day the Sabbath is.

There is nothing that I'm aware of the proves or disproves (whether from the bible or any other literary work) that the Sabbath is on Saturday or on Sunday, just that the Sabbath is on the 7th day and I'm not aware either of any instances (or documentation) where this pattern was interrupted as well. All I am trying to say is that the Sabbath could have fallen on any day of the week, as long as one worked for 6 days and had the Sabbath on the 7th day.
Old 24-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Cano

Every day is a holy day in the lives of those who are spirit born.

Cano
Old 24-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cano
Every day is a holy day in the lives of those who are spirit born.

Cano
Very true Cano, I was in the Seventh day Adventist, they worshiped Saturday, the true seventh day, but they were obsessed with it, not good.
Old 24-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Mayflow

I don't think Jesus was very concerned about 1st and last days of the week. What is time to the timeless?