Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 16-02-2019, 06:35 AM
Master
The spiritual path : hard or easy?

Taking as already voluntarily accepted by consciousness that enduring happiness and joy may be found only in the internal-eternal and not in the external-ephemeral, let us examine whether the spiritual path is hard or easy.

The goal being to connect our in-form consciousness with God or let us say The That Oneness, we recognise that we are momentarily limited but have the potential to become unlimited, since the end goal we wish to get at is omniscient & boundless. This presents the first ‘difficulty ‘ :

Allowing: Accustomed to striving in the domain external for objects limited, deep within, at our subconscious level, perhaps we have adopted an orientation self-limiting, calibrating, anticipating and so contracting, denying ourselves by simply not allowing and so not knowing, not expanding.

Using the symbols of language such as allowing, surrendering or accepting as conjoined if not synonymous with reference to context, what it signals is that we need to transform our consciousness in thought, word and deed, continuously to become an observer to the external happenings. We may engage of course as we choose but without any aspect of clinging or attachment.

Allowing simply means free flowing. Now, we may say it is the equivalent of renouncing or self denying but if we look at it a little deeper, renouncing requires a renouncer who renounces, just as thinking requires a thinker who is thinking, doing a doer who is doing and so on. In reality it is all about our orientation voluntarily chosen by free will, that draws in energy from the Universe and so resonating correspondent to vibration of consciousness itself.

Here free will simply means we choose to prioritise the divine connection by so allowing and we do not need to do anything. No doing, no thinking. We simply be. As we be, we are. As we are, we become. We be to become.

The ‘striving’ then is limited to continuous contemplative consciousness correction since our attention swaying like a pendulum and actions of our past having momentum, we may keep ourselves on course by erasing negativity by inner cleansing, a layer at a time, constantly, meaning frequently since we perhaps may not as yet be able to effortlessly accentuate our intuitive attention in unending divine connection or meditation. Inner cleansing is perhaps the most important step since erasing negativity means choosing the path of truth rather than that of convenience. The thoughts of ‘self-denial or sacrifice’ are in fact urges of our ego who is the ‘owner’ of that thought or object which is being denied or sacrificed.

Meditation raises the question too. Who is the meditator who meditates? So here too, the orientation of meditation should be a becoming and not a doing. Of course it does help to occasionally tune-in since our as our oscillating attention also tunes-out but it is evident that we need to slow down movement of conscious thought, employing it only when required and otherwise switching to intuition.

The thing about this is that conscious thought has a thinker thinking unless he is also humbly accepting that the thinking is by the non-doer simply resonating with the chosen thought vibration. Anyway, instead of throwing matters in a spin, let us simplify and say that we use conscious thought for the domain external and intuition for the internal. Right tools for the right job.

There is no ego, no doer when intuition is employed, since the cogniser is the formless observer, simply allowing the unfolding within form.

Having thus reoriented our consciousness we are presented with the second ‘difficulty’ :

Experiences & endowments : As our consciousness ascends, we experience that which is unimaginable even if we have read about it or heard about it from anywhere, be it ecstatic sensations within, surge of joy, chakra & kundalini related awakening, sound, light and others. It is here that the ego again raises its head and self assesses us as a separate self being at a higher pedestal as compared to what we were or what others around us are as perceived by the ego.

This ‘difficulty ‘ then is actually also not a challenge if there remains no separate self within us who recognises it as such. Here too then, the non-doer doing is simply to observe the unfolding in-form or experiences of Oneness without form as the case may be, always keeping observational focus that unless we are entwined with the divine in an unending continuum of time, we are incomplete.

So is the spiritual path hard or easy? Hard for the ego, easy for the non-doer or let us say the be-er.

Last edited by Unseeking Seeker : 16-02-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 16-02-2019, 08:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

Taking as already voluntarily accepted by consciousness that enduring happiness and joy may be found only in the internal-eternal and not in the external-ephemeral, let us examine whether the spiritual path is hard or easy.

The goal being to connect our in-form consciousness with God or let us say The That Oneness, we recognise that we are momentarily limited but have the potential to become unlimited, since the end goal we wish to get at is omniscient & boundless. This presents the first ‘difficulty ‘ :

Allowing: Accustomed to striving in the domain external for objects limited, deep within, at our subconscious level, perhaps we have adopted an orientation self-limiting, calibrating, anticipating and so contracting, denying ourselves by simply not allowing and so not knowing, not expanding.

Using the symbols of language such as allowing, surrendering or accepting as conjoined if not synonymous with reference to context, what it signals is that we need to transform our consciousness in thought, word and deed, continuously to become an observer to the external happenings. We may engage of course as we choose but without any aspect of clinging or attachment.

Allowing simply means free flowing. Now, we may say it is the equivalent of renouncing or self denying but if we look at it a little deeper, renouncing requires a renouncer who renounces, just as thinking requires a thinker who is thinking, doing a doer who is doing and so on. In reality it is all about our orientation voluntarily chosen by free will, that draws in energy from the Universe and so resonating correspondent to vibration of consciousness itself.

Here free will simply means we choose to prioritise the divine connection by so allowing and we do not need to do anything. No doing, no thinking. We simply be. As we be, we are. As we are, we become. We be to become.

The ‘striving’ then is limited to continuous contemplative consciousness correction since our attention swaying like a pendulum and actions of our past having momentum, we may keep ourselves on course by erasing negativity by inner cleansing, a layer at a time, constantly, meaning frequently since we perhaps may not as yet be able to effortlessly accentuate our intuitive attention in unending divine connection or meditation. Inner cleansing is perhaps the most important step since erasing negativity means choosing the path of truth rather than that of convenience. The thoughts of ‘self-denial or sacrifice’ are in fact urges of our ego who is the ‘owner’ of that thought or object which is being denied or sacrificed.

Meditation raises the question too. Who is the meditator who meditates? So here too, the orientation of meditation should be a becoming and not a doing. Of course it does help to occasionally tune-in since our as our oscillating attention also tunes-out but it is evident that we need to slow down movement of conscious thought, employing it only when required and otherwise switching to intuition.

The thing about this is that conscious thought has a thinker thinking unless he is also humbly accepting that the thinking is by the non-doer simply resonating with the chosen thought vibration. Anyway, instead of throwing matters in a spin, let us simplify and say that we use conscious thought for the domain external and intuition for the internal. Right tools for the right job.

There is no ego, no doer when intuition is employed, since the cogniser is the formless observer, simply allowing the unfolding within form.

Having thus reoriented our consciousness we are presented with the second ‘difficulty’ :

Experiences & endowments : As our consciousness ascends, we experience that which is unimaginable even if we have read about it or heard about it from anywhere, be it ecstatic sensations within, surge of joy, chakra & kundalini related awakening, sound, light and others. It is here that the ego again raises its head and self assesses us as a separate self being at a higher pedestal as compared to what we were or what others around us are as perceived by the ego.

This ‘difficulty ‘ then is actually also not a challenge if there remains no separate self within us who recognises it as such. Here too then, the non-doer doing is simply to observe the unfolding in-form or experiences of Oneness without form as the case may be, always keeping observational focus that unless we are entwined with the divine in an unending continuum of time, we are incomplete.

So is the spiritual path hard or easy? Hard for the ego, easy for the non-doer or let us say the be-er.

Beautifully written and it all fits perfectly into my awareness now as this.
Old 16-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Master

Once you find the path, it's easy. The difficulty is in finding the path, because you don't know whom to follow, how to know. You can't use logic and deduction, you don't know in what / who to put your faith.

Turn inward, unbiased, unemotional, ask your questions, and be open to answers. Then, don't taint those answers with your interpretation, but record them as they came, nothing less nothing more, and return often to that source.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.

Last edited by inavalan : 16-02-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 16-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Angel1

I always say this Path is as easy as holding your newborn
in your arms and loving it.
Sit, smile, love God....for hours and hours and hours....also,
similar to Sunbathing.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 16-02-2019, 09:52 PM
janielee

I personally wouldn't characterize it as hard or easy - each person takes their road, and in it, we all walk together.

JL
Old 16-02-2019, 09:53 PM
janielee

I personally wouldn't characterize it as hard or easy - each person takes their road, and in it, we all walk together.

JL
Old 16-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Suspended
Jordin Sparks Lyrics

We live and we learn to take
One step at a time
There's no need to rush
It's like learning to fly
Or falling in love
It's gonna happen when it's
Supposed to happen and we
Find the reasons why
One step at a time

When you can't wait any longer
But there's no end in sight
(when you need to find the strength)
It's your faith that makes you stronger
The only way you get there
Is one step at a time
Old 16-02-2019, 11:32 PM
Master

I agree with inavalan. Finding the path was the hardest. And taking those first tentative steps. From there it's just one step in front of the other. We hit pitfalls and mountain tops and plains. Each has it's emotional attachments. Of course pitfalls are dark nights of the soul, mountain tops are full of spiritual awareness and the plains are the areas in between. Because we are all here to learn. The way we learn unfortunately is through emotional and physical pain.
Old 17-02-2019, 01:30 AM
Master

There is a saying by the female sage Sharda Devi in this regard...

The mind naturally tends towards evil deeds. It is lethargic in doing good works. Formerly I used to get up at 3 a.m. and sit up for meditation. One day I felt disinclined to do so on account of physical indisposition. That one day’s irregularity resulted in the upsetting of my routine for a number of days. That is why I say that perseverance and tenacity are necessary for success in all good work.” - Sharda Devi

It is the natural tendency of the mind to indulge in likes and dislikes, and to be in the past or future in memory or imagination due to the influence of desire, rather than be in the living present moment.

So it takes austerities to tame the wild mind seeking gratification of the senses, and bring it to present moment awareness.

The bliss, peace and joy of present moment awareness is superior to all sense-pleasures which are expensive, and have a beginning and an end.

Every ounce of sense-pleasure brings with it a pound of pain, while the pain of austerity is much less compared to the joy and bliss of present moment awareness that it brings about.

Substituting sense-pleasures for joy and happiness is like substituting fast food for natural food. It may give some instant gratification but it is bound to take its toll on health in the long run.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 17-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
So is the spiritual path hard or easy?

Unseeking Seeker,

I think it would help if we first have a concept of what exactly constitutes the spiritual path. I speak mainly from the mystic Christian viewpoint. Traditionally the accepted spiritual path has been defined as purification(purgatory), illumination, and union(theosis). Personally I prefer the addendums that Evelyn Underhill expanded the list with. If one googles _Evelyn Underhill on Mysticism_ you will find a brief but informative synopsis of her understanding.

Briefly she visualizes it this way: 1) awakening 2)purgation 3)illumination 4)the Dark night of the soul and....5)union

To answer your question: the ease or difficulty of the spiritual path is determined by which stage of the path that one is on. For instance....using Underhill's steps.....steps 1,3,5 might be viewed as easy.....whereas steps 2 and 4 are deemed difficult. Overall....IMO....(3 out of 5) the spiritual path is difficult.

In a posting of mine on a different thread I quoted some scripture......Jesus in Matthew 7:14 "But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it." In other words, it is difficult. This refers to the total path. Now look at this scripture.......Matthew 11:28-30....."Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me.....and you will find rest for your soul. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." In other words it is easy. So what gives? The key word is "yoke". To be 'yoked' means to be joined together...to be unified. It is a percursor and promise of the nature of the unitive state(stage 5 re Underhill).

To recap: the difficulty or ease of the spiritual path is contingent on the stage of the path. There are both difficult and easy stages. To successfully complete the path is akin to reaching the state of bliss.