Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Closed Thread

Old 13-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Space_Man

What is life all about, anyway...?

This is a two part question, and you may answer one or both parts of it. I humbly ask that if you contribute, you try to shy away from overly-simplistic answers. No, I
Old 23-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Space_Man

Howiemac
Old 25-01-2006, 06:06 PM
howiemac

[quote=Space_Man] How do you see the belief in karma, re-incarnation, etc. as lending.."purpose
Old 25-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Space_Man

[quote=howiemac]I realise there will be a myriad of shades of gray between these two opposing philosophies, and there will be other different philosophies which do not closely relate to either category
Old 26-01-2006, 03:55 PM
DASA

Chance vs Randomness

Brilliant description Howiemac. I think that puts both sides of the argument very clearly, and the bit inbetween. :-)

Spaceman: "To my mind, the Divine order that you refer to is indeed in existence
Old 29-01-2006, 10:39 PM
DirtyMagicalAly

To your original question Sapce_Man....
In my mind the purpose of life is to understand; to understand the world, ourselves, other people ect. If we believe in a God/Faith similar to the Christian one (ie, not reincarnation, and that you will be judged) life is only a short period of time, and in my opinion, it would be the most opportune time to learn about yourself because you are not living in a heaven where everything is perfect, but nor are you living in a hell where everything, basically, sucks...The purpose of life is to grow and discover and stuff....
And the meaning is pretty much the same....imo...

Anyway, what do YOU think the purpose and meaning of life is?

Or how about this: "The purpose of life is to end"??
Old 30-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Enlightener

THE MEANING OF LIFE:

The meaning of Life, as I understand it, is to be in a state of awareness of Who You Really Are or/and Who You Choose To Be.

In fact, there is no meaning to life. Life is meaningless. (That's a hard blow to the ego isn't it) There is no meaning to life because there is nothing we have to do in order to live. Life simply is. There is no thing that you MUST do in order to live. What you CAN do though is circle the path of enlightenment, or more accurately, path the circle of enlightenment. For Life is a circle and you are at liberty to choose where, anywhere you wish, you want to be on that circle.

Back to the first point: Who You Really Are is God. Buddha, the energy of the universe or the Devil, whatever you wish to call it is up to you but I think that most of us here agree on the same understanding of "God".
The meaning of Life is thus to be aware that you are God (Buddha, Chi, Life, Energy, Change, whatever you call it), and to live life with this awareness.

Now, the purpose of Life is to experience Who You Choose To Be. As with the meaning, there is no true purpose to Life apart from that which you give it. Who You Choose To Be can be anything that you can imagine and is done the instant you enter the realm of the Relative (For you already know Who You Really Are in the realm of the Absolute...(God)).

Hope this answers your question(s) Sauce_man.

This is the Truth as I can best comprehend it,
Enlightener
Old 30-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Poppies

Hi DirtyMagicalAly!!!! :hello1:

Glad to see you here!!!!

I have written here some thoughts that I had before on this subject. They're thoughts - not my concrete, solid opinion....

I have views on the purpose of life
Old 30-01-2006, 11:18 AM
imported_devolution

The Purpose of Life is to Fill it With Meaning....

We all find our own personal meanings, in all kinds of different situations, exepriences, scenarios...
Meanings differ from person to person - someone can find meaning in something where someone else might find meaninglessness.
Sometimes it's hard to find meaning when life is becoming mundane, dull, lonely.
But even the smallest of things - the opening of a flower, the sight of birds flying free, the sound of the waves crashing on the shore can bring a little meaning, a little inspiration into everyday life...

Nothing has meaning in and of itself, but it is us humans that apply meaning to events and experiences...
Old 30-01-2006, 03:18 PM
DASA

Re: THE MEANING OF LIFE::idea:

Hi Enligthener - I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions in response to your post. :-)

"The meaning of Life, as I understand it, is to be in a state of awareness of Who You Really Are or/and Who You Choose To Be."

But if you 'Really Are' something, then how can you choose to be it? Are both possible, or is it one or the other?

In fact, there is no meaning to life. Life is meaningless. (That's a hard blow to the ego isn't it) There is no meaning to life because there is nothing we have to do in order to live.

But surely we all have to perform some work. It's impossible to actually 'do nothing', even if you sit in meditation you are still doing something ... then there's breathing, and eating etc...

Back to the first point: Who You Really Are is God. Buddha, the energy of the universe or the Devil, whatever you wish to call it is up to you but I think that most of us here agree on the same understanding of "God".

What evidence is there that we are actually God? We are conscious, but then couldn't God be an entirely different entity? There is quite a bit of debate about this theory, and I wouldn't say there was a general concensus on the exact nature of God? ;-)

The meaning of Life is thus to be aware that you are God (Buddha, Chi, Life, Energy, Change, whatever you call it), and to live life with this awareness.

But if there is 'no meaning to life' then how can this be The meaning?

Now, the purpose of Life is to experience Who You Choose To Be. As with the meaning, there is no true purpose to Life apart from that which you give it. Who You Choose To Be can be anything that you can imagine and is done the instant you enter the realm of the Relative (For you already know Who You Really Are in the realm of the Absolute...(God)).

But then one could ask 'who doesn't experience who they choose to be?'. Pretty much everyone does this. What about a serial-child-rapist, is he just experiencing 'who he chose to be'? Doesn't there have to be some discrimation along the line?

Please don't take me the wrong way, I'm just trying to see where you're coming from on this one?

Gouranga,

your servant,

Das
Closed Thread