Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 23-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Pathfinder

tat-tvam-asi

Can anyone please explain me the exact meaning of this 3 letter word "tat-tvam-asi"??
Old 24-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Master

tat = that
tvam = you
asi = are

This statement is from chAndogya upaniSad. A father is explaining to his son who he is in the grand scheme of things. Son is being told that if he digs deep enough into himself he will realize that at his core he is 'that', that being the core of the entire universe.
Old 24-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Guide

Kris has it right, but I would just add that it is often misinterpreted to mean that the ego 'I' is identical to God. This misinterpretation does cause problems, as it can provide an excuse to do anything at all that you want to with the rationalisation that 'it's all God' or some such thing. It's only the absolute essence, after ego, intellect, physical body, etc. are removed. This essence is often termed the Self with a capital, and small self means ego-self.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Pathfinder

Thanks for the explanation. Now i need bit more information from the implementation perspective.

How do i realize that "I am THAT (tat)"? How will i exclude my feeling of "i am body", "i am mind" etc?

What are the steps and procedures to be followed?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Master

The whole field of yoga came about as serious students of life applied themselves to this task in ancient India. There are many types of yoga but I think they ultimately lead the yogi to the same fundamental truth proclaimed in chAndogya Upanishad.

I am no expert in telling anyone how he should go about in search of answers to ultimate questions. But I can tell you about the road I have taken in this quest. My approach combines jNAna yoga, bhakti yoga and karma yoga along with some hatha yoga.

For jNAna yoga, one should start with study of the writings of seers throughout the ages and then try to live one's life by inculcating the teachings therein. jNAna yoga, as I see it, is best practiced by embodying the vision of the seers. I also think it is a long and arduous task. It is said that this approach requires sharp intellect.

I think 'tat' or 'that' is always our best partner in this search and it makes itself available to us in many helpful forms. In bhakti yoga, one avails of this great helper by attuning ourselves emotionally to that same vision as above. Know that 'tat' is helpful because it is the reservoir of love. A loving heart goes a long way on this path.

karma yoga is a bit more complicated and it covers the ground between jNAna yoga and bhakti yoga. I think bhagavad gItA is our best guide for karma yoga. Where it touches jNAna yoga, it helps the yogi realize that the real doer of all that is done are the three guNas of nature and that ahaMkAra or I-do-ness is but a mirage. Where it touches bhakti yoga, it tells the yogi to perform actions for loka saNgrAHa or weal of the world. i.e., for greater good. This is my very abridged version of karma yoga.

I recommend those new to this path to start off with hatha yoga and the study of yoga sutra. There are other variants of yoga besides the ones I have mentioned above, tantra yoga being one of them.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Master
What a fabulous explanation kris, i really like your posts.
I would add that to put yourself under the grace of an avatar is the fastest way to move down this path, kris mentioned the bhgavad gita, which will introduce you to krishna, his grace will be very beneficial and accelerate your progress.
There is still an avatar alive on earth today, she is called Mother Meera, you can go for pranam and drashan with her and its all free. She lives in Germany and India, and often visits other countries. Her grace, like Krishnas will help you down this path.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Master

Thanks, petezen.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:39 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123music
Thanks for the explanation. Now i need bit more information from the implementation perspective.

How do i realize that "I am THAT (tat)"? How will i exclude my feeling of "i am body", "i am mind" etc?

What are the steps and procedures to be followed?

There are always several viewpoints in Hinduism. It is an incredibly vast religion. If you ask 20 people you will get 20 different answers.
Implementation, in my particular sampradaya, (school) starts with ethical conduct. Until you are behaving ethically, not much else can happen because the mind will wander into areas like guilt. For this, we have the yamas, which are guidelines for behaviour. Next are the niyamas which are observances. So that's where you start. Meditation is generally unsuccessful unless you have your life in order first.

Realising "I am that" is not done from books. It's not an intellectual process, but a mystical one. Ramana Maharshi did not read. It comes from incredibly deep mediation, and actual mystical realisation, that the essence of you is the same as God. So 'I' (the essence) am (is identical to) that (the indescribable absolute reality beyond time, form, space)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
What a fabulous explanation kris, i really like your posts.
I would add that to put yourself under the grace of an avatar is the fastest way to move down this path, kris mentioned the bhgavad gita, which will introduce you to krishna, his grace will be very beneficial and accelerate your progress.
There is still an avatar alive on earth today, she is called Mother Meera, you can go for pranam and drashan with her and its all free. She lives in Germany and India, and often visits other countries. Her grace, like Krishnas will help you down this path.

Hi Peteyzen,
Yes i have seen Mother Meera for Darshan and Pranam on a number of ocassions when she has visted the UK.
A truly uplifting experience.
Light and Peace
Cirrus
Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Master
Hi Cirrus, yes she is lovely and i have to say, for me, every time i`ve been in her prescence its been incredibly powerful for me.