Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 21-06-2011, 06:59 AM
I-Ching

Personalist Buddhists

I follow the philosophy of the Personalist Buddhists, that accept the existence of the soul. I may doubt many things but I don't doubt that I exist. The idea of annihilating my individuality is vile.
Old 21-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Ascender

Anyone who doubts their own existence is silly and should stop wasting their time on similar thoughts that lead no where.
Old 21-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Ching
I follow the philosophy of the Personalist Buddhists, that accept the existence of the soul. I may doubt many things but I don't doubt that I exist. The idea of annihilating my individuality is vile.
You exist, but it leaves the door to what 'you' are.. The body will stop functioning one day.
Our mind and personality are shaped throughout our life and do not exist by themselves. What is left? What is the 'soul' exactly?

And who is saying ''I am a soul''..??

(I don't have the answers btw. just providing questions :p)
Old 21-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
You exist, but it leaves the door to what 'you' are.. The body will stop functioning one day.
Our mind and personality are shaped throughout our life and do not exist by themselves. What is left? What is the 'soul' exactly?

And who is saying ''I am a soul''..??

(I don't have the answers btw. just providing questions :p)

Can I sign my name to this? Nice post.....

James
Old 22-06-2011, 08:30 AM
yes

Quote:

Why do you find the idea of annihilating your individuality vile?
Old 23-06-2011, 07:46 AM
I-Ching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
What is the 'soul' exactly?
You are the soul. The soul is the consciousness in the body, that can neither be created or destroyed. It’s existence is evidenced by much research into Reincarnation and Near-Death experience (If you have any faith in man-made research that is).

Logically we can understand it as the only part of you that is unchanging. Your body is changing from youth to old age, the mind is always changing, but you the observer of the body and mind is unchanging … eternal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yes
Why do you find the idea of annihilating your individuality vile?
Because for there to be Love there must be two. In fact there must a simultaneous oneness and difference.
Old 23-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Master
Quote:

I think the identity is anhialated by directly experiencing impermanance, which is to say the life path itself is a continuum of change, not a road from here to somewhere other than here.
Old 23-06-2011, 08:20 AM
yes

Quote:

Because for there to be Love there must be two. In fact there must a simultaneous oneness and difference.

This is exactly my problem with any teachings on the 'Oneness' of reality, as in the Oneness of Brahman, for instance. I like your point about simultaneous oneness and difference.
Old 23-06-2011, 08:31 AM
mattie

Treasured Individuality

Quote:
... The idea of annihilating my individuality is vile.

Spot On.

We are here to learn via our individuality (self/ego/personality). As individuals we are the rich & varied threads that weave the wonderful tapestry of the Universe.
Old 23-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I-Ching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think the identity is anhialated by directly experiencing impermanance

So what you are saying is that when we experience impermanence our individuality becomes impermanent

Oneness and Difference is beautifully illustrated by the symbol of the Taijitu (Ying and Yang)