Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 29-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Pathfinder

Question Why do so many Indigenous people fall down?

It seems to me that when indigenous tribes come into the modern age when they are dragged into it when they contact our modern civilization that they all seem to suffer in ways that they did not prior to this modernization. Some examples of this are the substance abuse by Australian aborigines, native Americans and Inuit peoples. In Australia, the high rate of domestic violence in indigenous societies is alcohol fueled. The suicide rate among young aboriginals is very high.
Is this because they are displaced from their familiar cultural lands and customs and have been placed in a sort of cultural limbo? Or is it like a friend of mine says that they do not have to struggle to provide for their basic needs and have too much time on their hands and use alcohol as a sort of recreational pastime?
In other words is it a release from emotional pain or merely a lack of responsibility and creativity?
I welcome others comments.
Old 30-06-2013, 05:43 AM
Deactivated Account
Could be because the modern age is a destruction to what they love and what is most important to us all. That being the planet
Old 30-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Master
I think it could be because they wont let the past go, they cling to what happened years ago. This is what is happening in Australia, Ok, they had it bad back then, but you got to let the past go to move on.
Old 30-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator
I can only speak of the Native people that i speak to some dont forget the past because of the situation they find themselves in now.they had their lands taken from them put into reservations.and forgotten about.not all reservations are the same.some are so run down .along with no work they spiral into drinking,
some work like everywhere else,but their free time is spent in the mountains woods etc where they can connect to nature once more.they have recieved a raw deal from the governments,the same for every one who lived on lands that were taken from them.

Namaste
Old 30-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
I can only speak of the Native people that i speak to some dont forget the past because of the situation they find themselves in now.they had their lands taken from them put into reservations.and forgotten about.not all reservations are the same.some are so run down .along with no work they spiral into drinking,
some work like everywhere else,but their free time is spent in the mountains woods etc where they can connect to nature once more.they have recieved a raw deal from the governments,the same for every one who lived on lands that were taken from them.

Namaste

that sounds about right.
Old 30-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Guide
This could be done to purposely corrupt and profit off the tribes. I heard in one case where a liquor store was built just off sovereign native (American) land to profit off the addiction that's so prevalent in those cultures.
Old 30-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Master
It's always a very complex issue when two thoroughly different sets of principles meet and seek to redefine land usage and given that both peoples usually fight, not always, over those lands then there has to be a winner. And when we have a winner we also have a loser and that then brings the vanquished into playing the role of loser... as they have always defined it.

Similar to this is the adolescent who is thrown from childhood into adulthood and the mixture of freedoms and restrictions often sends many teenagers into drug abuse and other reckless behaviours which is usually a sign that the previous teaching or preparations for change aren't and weren't sufficient to deal with the changes.

But even this is what nature does... it changes. After long periods of stability where all the plants and creatures stabilise their habits and suchlike then nature wreaks havoc and through the turmoil the stronger survive by being able to adapt. But really it's not the strong that survive so much as the adaptable that become strong and that strong is about that ability to adapt.

Also I think any cultures receptivity to celebration has a bearing on this as some are almost immune whilst others embracing and with modernish societies way of adding stimulation, which may be a result of the immunised response needing extra, hitting a society already outpouring naturally towards celebrating then adding extra chemical stimulation... well it's all very complex and alot deeper than simply pointing a finger.
Old 30-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Master
They say that the land was taken away from them, but I don't know anyone who has been given free land, they all had to work their butts of to buy it.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
They say that the land was taken away from them, but I don't know anyone who has been given free land, they all had to work their butts of to buy it.

They were like nations I believe. And then in America the US ran them off there home. Taking there land. Then US citizens who wanted to go west squated the land or bought it dirt cheap. Tons of people got stolen land in the US. The government wanted the country to grow without the Native people around. Much of this has been documented. I never researched this. So what I'm mentioning is more common knowledge in the US. You could research trail of tears and many more. But as I was saying the land was free to US citizens or darn close to it. The government wanted expansion westward. I know nothing about Australia and my US knowledge is slim. Hope this helps. I guess you can't stop progress. And it was inevitable to happen. But looking at what progress has done. It appears to be more like destruction than progress. But I'm hopefully that things will turn around for the eco system. And feel that new inventions and things will make a big difference. People will evolve for the better. More peaceful and etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Experiencer
They lose all sense of purpose and meaning and the drugs,alcohol and whatnot replaces it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richag77
It seems to me that when indigenous tribes come into the modern age when they are dragged into it when they contact our modern civilization that they all seem to suffer in ways that they did not prior to this modernization. Some examples of this are the substance abuse by Australian aborigines, native Americans and Inuit peoples. In Australia, the high rate of domestic violence in indigenous societies is alcohol fueled. The suicide rate among young aboriginals is very high.
Is this because they are displaced from their familiar cultural lands and customs and have been placed in a sort of cultural limbo? Or is it like a friend of mine says that they do not have to struggle to provide for their basic needs and have too much time on their hands and use alcohol as a sort of recreational pastime?
In other words is it a release from emotional pain or merely a lack of responsibility and creativity?
I welcome others comments.