Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 24-07-2017, 02:52 AM
Experiencer
Question Can an atheist follow Buddhism?

Hello, I'm hopeful of gaining some insight from you on something I've wondered about for a time. I grew up in a Christian home as a kid, then about five years ago, I left Christianity and eventually identified as an atheist. My grandmother died about a year later, and my world sort of fell apart. She meant a lot to me. I started exploring Buddhism, Islam and eventually came back to Christianity a little over a year ago. But, it never really felt like it was something I should have done. I think I returned to it because I was sad and grieving over the loss of my grandmother. Fast forward to now, and I'm leaning towards atheism, again.

My question for you is...can one be an atheist, and also adhere to some Buddhism principles? I've heard of spiritual atheism, I'm just wondering if that is really possible? I just logically don't believe anymore in a higher power, but in my heart, I feel that we are all connected, somehow...some way.

Buddhism is very logical and also helps emotionally. Just wondering your thoughts on this.
Old 24-07-2017, 03:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidre
Hello, I'm hopeful of gaining some insight from you on something I've wondered about for a time. I grew up in a Christian home as a kid, then about five years ago, I left Christianity and eventually identified as an atheist. My grandmother died about a year later, and my world sort of fell apart. She meant a lot to me. I started exploring Buddhism, Islam and eventually came back to Christianity a little over a year ago. But, it never really felt like it was something I should have done. I think I returned to it because I was sad and grieving over the loss of my grandmother. Fast forward to now, and I'm leaning towards atheism, again.

My question for you is...can one be an atheist, and also adhere to some Buddhism principles? I've heard of spiritual atheism, I'm just wondering if that is really possible? I just logically don't believe anymore in a higher power, but in my heart, I feel that we are all connected, somehow...some way.

Buddhism is very logical and also helps emotionally. Just wondering your thoughts on this.

I am not a Buddhist but my heart and internal trust in myself to want to know the truth for myself lead me to discover Buddhist connections which in turn showed me how much closer it was to my truth and awareness. You could say I didn't seek Buddhism. We found each other at a meeting point in me that smiled in resonation to its greater offering in me.

I was conditioned by catholic views and a fairly strict catholic education system. I'm proud to say I now trust myself and letting go of all beliefs has served me to move through life more open and more consciously aware of what feels right for me.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 24-07-2017, 03:54 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
My question for you is...can one be an atheist, and also adhere to some Buddhism principles?
Strange that you are asking this because buddhism is atheistic.
Old 24-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Master
Quote:

Anyone can follow and benefit from Buddha's teachings. I know Buddhists who are Christians, Jews, Atheist etc:
Old 26-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Buddhism is very logical and also helps emotionally.
That's great. But maybe you better visit other exclusively buddhist forums in order not to be led onto wrong paths by the many non-buddhist views sold in this forum as 'buddhist'.
Old 27-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Anyone can follow and benefit from Buddha's teachings. I know Buddhists who are Christians, Jews, Atheist etc:
That's correct. Buddhism isn't so much a religion, it's just a better way to live.
P.S. I'm not interested in getting into a debate on whether buddhism is a religion or not. That horse has been flogged to death.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Newbie ;)

i think it's important to study the meaning of the word buddhism first. the radix buddh means to awaken. the word buddha means the awakened one. so buddh-ism is a set of practices for us to awaken.

awaken to what?, you may ask. awaken to our True Nature. awaken to what's beyond any belief. we do it through direct experience. through the practice of meditation.

the final goal of buddhism is to embody Truth. every human being is capable of becoming a buddha himself by training enough to reach a state of 24/7 mindfulness practice. that's nirvana.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajasatya
i think it's important to study the meaning of the word buddhism first. the radix buddh means to awaken. the word buddha means the awakened one. so buddh-ism is a set of practices for us to awaken.

awaken to what?, you may ask. awaken to our True Nature. awaken to what's beyond any belief. we do it through direct experience. through the practice of meditation.

the final goal of buddhism is to embody Truth. every human being is capable of becoming a buddha himself by training enough to reach a state of 24/7 mindfulness practice. that's nirvana.

I understand Nirvana ( to blow out ) to be a state of no suffering or desires, no sense of self . I think it takes more than mindfulness to attain this state but it is helpful..
Old 05-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
Strange that you are asking this because buddhism is atheistic.
Strange that you say that. Buddha has been deified. There's immense worship of him. Idolatry runs rife in Buddhism.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachsinger
Strange that you say that. Buddha has been deified. There's immense worship of him. Idolatry runs rife in Buddhism.

Yes it does in some schools and this goes against what the Buddha taught.