Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 21-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Lanzalady

My first ritual will be for Beltane

Hi all,

I've decided to do my first ritual on Beltane.

It'll just be me and I'm really excited about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do and what would be appropriate for this? As its my first I'm unsure and would welcome any thoughts or comments.

Thanks
Blessings!
LL
Old 22-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Master
Hi LanzaLady.
Here is a good, multipurpose ritual - I will be using it at Beltane for the festival at Thornborough Henge
www.sacredbrigantia.com

Calling the Quarters for Grounding and Protection.
[I always open with this when about to Stride the Hedge]

Welcome Elementals of the North, of Earth.
I ask that you bring your gifts of patience, endurance, stability, and prosperity [to this circle.]
Be welcome here.

Welcome Elementals of the East, of Air.
I ask that you bring your gifts of wisdom, intellect, perception, and inspiration [to this circle.]
Be welcome here.

Welcome Elementals of the South, of Fire.
I ask that you bring your gifts of passion, strength, energy, and will power [to this circle]
Be welcome here.

Welcome Elementals of the West, of Water.
I ask that you bring your gifts of emotion, pleasure, fertility, and receptivity [to this circle.]
Be welcome here

Welcome Elementals of the Centre, of Spirit.
[Alternatively – Welcome Spirit of Mother Earth ]
I ask that you bring guidance [to this circle. ]

After your ritual is over, never ever forget to dismiss the quarter entities. This should be done in the same manner but in a counter-clockwise fashion. It should go something like this...

Elementals of the Centre, of Spirit.
Thank you for the gifts that you have brought [to this circle.]
Stay if you will; go if you must.
Hail and Farewell!

Elementals of the West, of Water.
Hail and Farewell!

Elementals of the South, of Fire.
Hail and Farewell!

Elementals of the East, of Air.
Hail and Farewell!

Elementals of the North, of Earth.
Hail and Farewell!

As with all matters of the heart, mind and Craft, make sure that your intent is worthy of the beings that you call to watch or guard you. Such things can back-fire on you in very unexpected ways.

A very good general purpose ritual. Hope you enjoy Beltane
Old 22-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Lanzalady

Thanks Norseman, that's great. I haven't drawn a circle yet so there'll be lots to refresh myself with (I've read it but not actually done it) and make sure I have a good first ritual.

I looked at the website you posted the link for on a previous post you'd posted. It looked like a good time was had by all.

What exactly do you mean by 'Stride the hedge'?

Thanks again
Blessings!
LL
Old 23-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Master
"Striding the hedge" = "Crossing the veil". Journeying to the Spirit Realm to commune with ancestral spirits for advice and guidance. It is a core feature of certain paths [ Cunning Folk, Hedge Witches ]

Hope Beltane goes well for you. I will post some photos of the Thornborough Festival - some Hand-fastings being done I gather.
Old 23-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Lanzalady

So people will be betrothed for real? Not just an enactment? Excuse my ignorance please!!!
Old 24-04-2013, 11:19 AM
goldentimes

Hi Lanzalady, I haven't got any rituals, but one thing I am hoping to do is make my own mini Maypole to put on to my working area.
I have the ribbons and the paper flowers-(I have paper flowers instead of real as I like to see the flowers grow in the wild) Now i got to start looking out for a stick that is already on the floor (this will make my pole). I just hope it works out as it is my 1st real maypole.

You could make a head wreath made from flowers and even ribbons-greens, yellows, blues, pinks etc. and wear it for your workings on mayday or wear just for the day of May.
And if you can light a beltane fire or just light a candle that's another thing that you can do.

What ever you do, I hope you will enjoy it and have lots of fun
Best regards & Blessings!
Old 24-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzalady
So people will be betrothed for real? Not just an enactment? Excuse my ignorance please!!!

It was a full ceremony in medieval times, now it is backed up with a civil ceremony.
Old 24-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Lanzalady

Hi Goldentmes.

I had been thinking of making some kind of head wear. There's a beautiful flower over here called bourgonvilla. I'm not sure of the spelling, but it's very vivid in pinks and reds. I'll see if I can get some red.

We don't have much in the way of flowers here, mostly cacti and aloe Vera and lots of mossy plants. It's a vet arid environment so no much grows. The only grass you'll see here is on a golf course...!

I picked up a fallen branch from a tree-like weed that grows here. I have no idea what it's called. My plan was to make my first wand with it. It was about 3/4" diameter and tapered off with a slight bend. It was perfect and i just needed to leave it out in the sun to dry out so I old cut it down and sand it. Unfortunately my 10 month old pup had her own ideas and managed to get her teeth on it. Chewed it to pieces, so I need to start again.

Good luck with our maypole!!! I hope it works out well for you.

Blessings!
LL
Old 24-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Lanzalady

Hi Norseman,

How lovely for those involved with handfasting. I'm a bit of a romantic at heart so I'd probably be crying my eyes out if I was there watching it. Hehe.

I must admit, I'm really excited about my first ritual. Since choosing this path, only a matter of a month or so ago, I have definitely had a spring in my step. I'm not sleeping very well but I think it's the anticipation of this whole new way of life for me and I'm not feeling tired the way i would normally do. There's a sense of wonder about it all.

I wish I could be going to Thornborough.

Thank you also for explaining Striding the hedge. I thought it was something like that but I wasn't sure.

Blessings!
LL
Old 24-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Lanzalady

Ritual tools

While talking about my first ritual I would like a little advice if possible.

I live in Lanzarote. Up to this point, I haven't been able to fine any shops or outlets that are occult/metaphysical. At this point I have no tools at all and the dog ate what was going to be my first wand ;-)

I appreciate I can buy stuff online, but in the interim I will have to use whatever is at my disposal.

So, is it really important what colour candles I use? I don't possess an athame, so would it be ok to use something like a pottery knife? I don't possess a cauldron, so would it be ok to light my Beltane fire in an old BBQ? I can go to a flower shop and pick up some flowers, but not necessarily the ones that would be needed for a specific ritual. I would have to use little glass candle holders for my salt and water on the altar. Is that acceptable? The other thing is, I don't really have access to things that are relevant to particular deities. Does this matter? I am under the impression that 'intention' is what's important, but I'm nervous about offending.

Can any one give me their thoughts please?

Thanks
Blessings!
LL