Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 23-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
Never trust any psychic, especially if they ask money.
If a person is able to provide something of genuine value, they deserve to receive something of genuine value in return. That could be cash, an item they want or need, a favor, or anything else both parties can agree upon.

The trouble is that I have yet to encounter any so-called "psychic" who has anything of genuine value to offer.

First, my mother was, for lack of a better term, addicted to psychics. She was in poor health for much of my childhood (mostly due to obesity and poorly-controlled type 2 diabetes), had suffered through a series of family tragedies, and in order to cope turned to the supernatural. I grew up in a small town, and I can't tell you how many miles she put on the family car, driving to progressively larger towns and cities in search of somebody who could tell her the things she needed to hear.

She took me with her on many of those trips, and during these sessions I sat in the corner and watched and listened. Most of them struck me as shifty, playing to her obvious neediness. But even the good ones, who seemed to actually believe in what they were saying, never said anything that didn't have to be twisted to fit my mother's experience, and all of their predictions fell absolutely flat.

They'd usually throw in a prediction or two for me, too. I was supposed to become a famous photojournalist; go live in Chicago and marry a successful attorney; marry a blond man whose name began with 'C'; not marry until late (but it would be to my soul mate, who would have blue eyes, and I'd recognize him the second I saw him); have five kids; go to college in a big city and discover my talent for business; marry a redheaded man whose name began with a 'D'; have three kids (including a daughter who would one day be famous); become an interior decorator; make wedding cakes for a living; have four kids (all boys); marry a very tall blond man who would take me all over the world as part of his job; and become a nurse.

Not one of those predictions ever came true. Not even close.

My mother died when I was in my mid-20s, and that was the last I had to do with psychics for almost a decade. But in the past dozen years, while trying to make sense of my own life-disrupting spiritual experience, I've encountered a lot of people who call themselves psychics, intuitives, and mediums, and not one of them has been legit. For six months, I even lived in the same duplex as two practicing psychics, and well-regarded ones at that. They were nice women and good neighbors, but as psychics they were no better than the rest.

I can honestly say, after all of these years, that I have never received a single bit of insight from anybody claiming to be a psychic that could not have been deduced by natural means, been a lucky guess (based upon probability), or was not outright wrong.

Now, some do have a natural gift for picking up on others' states of being, but they do so through physical cues (body posture and movement, facial expressions, visible signs of ill health, gender, age, clothing and grooming signals, etc.). They seem to simply know things about other people, yet without knowing how they know it, and since they don't understand where this knowledge is coming from they conclude that it must be supernatural.

They honestly believe they are psychic, and aren't out to intentionally dupe anybody. But since they also tend to be sensitive people with vivid imaginations, they also come to believe that things they imagine about the subject are true. Or worse, they will project their own issues onto the subject, and declare that to be reality.

Many (if not most), however, are cold readers, who do exactly what I've described above, only they do it consciously. They learn to spot which people in a crowd are most likely to be receptive to them, and that's who they approach. So any psychic who approaches you first, and seems to know all sorts of things about you, and wants to set up a reading? They're cold readers. They're knowing frauds.

Nobody can possibly foresee hidden, wholly unexpected events in your future, because the future is not fixed; it is constantly changing based upon the decisions you make in the present. If you're consistently making certain kinds of decisions, then a general prediction of where they will lead (for good or bad) is likely to come true, but you don't need a psychic to tell you that.

Wanting to know what will happen in advance is perfectly normal and understandable. If you're lonely, it would be nice to know exactly when you're going to meet your future spouse. If your life has been filled with hardships, it would be good to know when relief will finally come, or at least get advance warning about the next catastrophe. But there is nobody who has the supernatural power to look out into the future and see exactly what it will bring, or how your story will turn out.

I know this is not a popular point of view here, but it comes straight from experience. I have seen far too many people grant complete strangers authority over their own lives, on no other basis than the stranger claims to have access to supernatural knowledge.
Old 24-10-2018, 02:27 AM
Master
Hmmm ... why opinion with such finality?

We have as yet five senses ... what if we are blessed with the sixth or even the seventh?

Clairvoyance & Psychometry (for starters!) ...?
Old 24-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Master

Trusting a stranger to give me a paid reading? No way.

There are genuine psychics out there and if they are worth their weight in salt they don't need to solicit on the streets.