Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Closed Thread

Old 13-01-2006, 02:42 PM
DASA

Artificial Intelligence?

Many films and fiction novels over the past 15-20 years have speculated on the possibility of creating 'artificial intelligence' but in reality will it ever be possible?

Not many people would say a calculator had any 'artificial intelligence' or consider that it possesed any kind of independent consciousness of itself as would a living entity such as a plant or animal. No-one would think twice about throwing an old one away from an ethical perspective, it's just a machine after all. (although recycling might be a better idea).

So if we linked 10 calculators together would that make any difference to the above statement. No, it's just a collection of machines as opposed to just one. So what is a super-computer except a glorified combination of calculators, condensed into a smaller space and then packaged in a plastic box. It is no more 'conscious' than the humble solar-powered calculator sat on our desks. The rest is purely science fiction and special effects.

The only confusion arises when certain philosophers of a brand of 'aetheistic science' tell us that living entities are simply 'organic machines' in the same category of computers, just 'more complicated'. But the reality is that no matter how much machines can simulate or copy the actions of living beings, they are never going to become 'alive' like Johhny 5 in Short Circuit. It makes for a good film, but it doesn't make much common sense.

Consciousness is not an 'illusion' created by matter, Life comes only from Life. It always has done, and it always will do. We see it happening every day. That life can come from a non-living source has never been proven or shown at any time in any laboratory in any part of the world. So why should anyone believe such a proposal? It would be as much 'blind-faith' as that of the most fanatical religious practitioner.

All ethical and morale principles are based on the sanctity and divinity of life. Take this away and within a few generations we will simply be left with a selfish and immoral chaos.

Does anyone else share similar / contrasting thoughts?

Das
Old 31-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Enlightener

I think it is possible to create a machine that is able to independantly make choices for itself. And I think in the future that it may be possible to create such machines, ones that can create their own existence without the need for a human controller. The problem lies in creating one that has the depth and awareness of the modern human, though as many people have expressed, this may not be a good idea. To make a copy of the modern human in machine format could be a risky business, as explored in many films and books.

I think that anything is possible. Everything that exists, such as tools or constructions, were first created in the mind. So I guess it will one day be possible to create Independant Thinking Machines(more lovable than Automatic Thinking Machines) I think.

Love All,
Enlightener
Old 02-02-2006, 10:08 AM
DASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightener
I think it is possible to create a machine that is able to independantly make choices for itself. And I think in the future that it may be possible to create such machines, ones that can create their own existence without the need for a human controller.

I think that anything is possible. Everything that exists, such as tools or constructions, were first created in the mind. So I guess it will one day be possible to create Independant Thinking Machines(more lovable than Automatic Thinking Machines) I think.

Love All,
Enlightener

'Trust no future, however pleasant'. When in the future? Science fiction doesn't always become Science fact...
Old 23-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Space_Man

Well, setting aside the comparison between organic beings and artificial beings for a moment—what does it mean for an entity to be self-aware? Certainly that is the starting point for some sort of “consciousness,” isn’t it…?
Old 23-02-2006, 10:39 AM
DASA

Consciousness

[quote=Space_Man][color=#000000][font=Times New Roman]Well, setting aside the comparison between organic beings and artificial beings for a moment
Old 23-02-2006, 12:11 PM
ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASA
. But the reality is that no matter how much machines can simulate or copy the actions of living beings, they are never going to become 'alive' like Johhny 5 in Short Circuit.

If a machine did ever become "alive" like Johnny 5, how would we actually know about it? It could describe thoughts and feelings that sentient beings experience but how would we know it hadn't just been programmed to describe these thoughts and feelings? At an atomic level humans, animals, plants, rocks and computers are all made of the same stuff; quarks, bosons, protons, electrons, neutrons etc. and are all governed by the same laws of physics. Why is it more likely that the divine spirit would consciously act through one configuration of this stuff than another? I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, I think I'm jusy rambling, any thoughts?
Old 23-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Knower
Any machine that possessed AI might well be able to make choices and act accordingly, but it wouldn't know why it had made a particular choice, other than it was the end result of an algorithm. Nor would it be able to gain any satisfaction or sense of wellbeing resulting from its choice. Neither would a machine be able to act on instinct and choose course of action A, when all logic and programming pointed to course of action B.

These are the kind of issues of the soul/mind/consciousness, call it what you will, that a machine will not be able to process, at least not until the far distant future. However, being able to act on instinct and have an emotional connection to one's actions is very important, and this lack of connection is what makes a machine with knowledge but no feelings so terribly dangerous.

Besides which, we all know how often our pc's crash.... imagine those same chips at the heart of a machine that has a responsible function. I believe some aircraft crashes have occured because the planes' computers have thought they knew better than the human pilot...

Sorry to be all doom and gloom!

Love and Light

Jeremy
Old 23-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Space_Man

[color=#444938][font=Verdana][quote=DASA] Without the individual (soul) then there is no self awareness because there is no self.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:50 PM
DASA

Machine Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross
At an atomic level humans, animals, plants, rocks and computers are all made of the same stuff; quarks, bosons, protons, electrons, neutrons etc. and are all governed by the same laws of physics.

On an atomic level a car without a driver and a car with a driver are pretty much the same, but there is a very big difference between them... i.e without the driver the car is pretty much going nowhere.

What is the difference between a dead body and living person, that is the question? What is it, minus which, the body becomes redundant?
Old 23-02-2006, 09:50 PM
DirtyMagicalAly

Thisis meant purely to stimulate disucssion, it isnt my actual belief...

Who's to say that the kind of "Artificial Intelligence" you talk about, having a "human like" machine, doesnt already exist? Surely just because we do not know the science that could create it or whatever, or dont know about it, it doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I know there are still lots of scientific advancements to be made, but, to my mind anyway, they're dont seem to be so many to be made that would make creating intelligence such as that which you spoke about possible when it's not now....But, if it was let out that there were robots / machines that had human qualities ect, I would be scared that they would "take over the world" (to be melodramatic). I mean, think about it, machines like us, but with constant stamina ect. Im not sure Id feel....secure in my.....humanity? with that knowledge!
Food for thought!
Closed Thread