Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 21-09-2018, 02:34 AM
Experiencer
In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In the pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped.

Yield and overcome;
Bend and be straight;
Empty and be full;
Wear out and be new;
Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.
Old 21-09-2018, 09:57 PM
Master

In the absence of names
Lies the origin of heavens and earth
The presence of names
Is mother to the 10000 things.
Old 25-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribiq
In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In the pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped.

Yield and overcome;
Bend and be straight;
Empty and be full;
Wear out and be new;
Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.
"In the pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped".

That says it all. As the Buddha reportedly said, there is nothing to learn (do) but much to unlearn (undo). I like that quote.
Old 25-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Master
I'm not sure how many are you are familiar with "The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu, the Hua Hu Ching". These teachings are reportedly the teachings given in inner Taoist circles that were passed on through oral tradition and eventually written down.

QUOTE:

"Just remain in the center watching. Then forget that you are there."
Old 28-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I'm not sure how many are you are familiar with "The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu, the Hua Hu Ching". These teachings are reportedly the teachings given in inner Taoist circles that were passed on through oral tradition and eventually written down.

QUOTE:

"Just remain in the center watching. Then forget that you are there."

it has been suggested that that book is a forgery, written in a battle for supremacy against the buddhists... (for example see the notes on wikipedia, there are also other web sources that claim this more voricifously).

Personally when I first saw that quote I thought 'buddhism' because of the specifics of the reference to the 'center', but, it does have a quality found also in the tao te ching, so I really don't know where it came from.
Old 28-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Master

by the way the history I knew of Lao Tzu is he basically left civilization and someone implored him to write something before he went, hence the tao te ching. Is that not correct?
Old 29-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
it has been suggested that that book is a forgery, written in a battle for supremacy against the buddhists... (for example see the notes on wikipedia, there are also other web sources that claim this more voricifously).

Personally when I first saw that quote I thought 'buddhism' because of the specifics of the reference to the 'center', but, it does have a quality found also in the tao te ching, so I really don't know where it came from.

You may indeed be correct. It's hard to say. In any case, I did like the book but, I must add, I look very favorably on Buddhism as well.

You are also correct that there was indeed an intense rivalry between the Taoists and the Buddhists in China. Your points are quite plausible. Thank you for sharing.
Old 29-09-2018, 12:47 AM
Master
Quote:
by the way the history I knew of Lao Tzu is he basically left civilization and someone implored him to write something before he went, hence the tao te ching. Is that not correct?

That is my understanding as well though there are many who dispute that story and say that "Lao Tzu" is really a composite of a number of other sages. As I mentioned in my previous post, such things are often difficult to assess. Therefore, I rely more on the content and use what I consider to be wise and beneficial.
Old 29-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
That is my understanding as well though there are many who dispute that story and say that "Lao Tzu" is really a composite of a number of other sages. As I mentioned in my previous post, such things are often difficult to assess. Therefore, I rely more on the content and use what I consider to be wise and beneficial.

yeah i agree. But in this society it is hard to make a difference between all the competing stories dancing around in the mind like a pretty light show, and the demand to know everything's exact place in the scheme of things.

As far as to the wise and beneficial there could be construed to be a danger therein... but of course to the extent you learn not to try to get anywhere such danger jsut kind of disolves

I haven't followed buddhism before, for personal reasons. Although I suppose it is a bit much to be so stuck in just one genre. That said I'm not sure there is really anything new under the sun, beyond different colored candles.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:29 PM
Master
Quote:
yeah i agree. But in this society it is hard to make a difference between all the competing stories dancing around in the mind like a pretty light show, and the demand to know everything's exact place in the scheme of things.

As far as to the wise and beneficial there could be construed to be a danger therein... but of course to the extent you learn not to try to get anywhere such danger jsut kind of disolves

I haven't followed buddhism before, for personal reasons. Although I suppose it is a bit much to be so stuck in just one genre. That said I'm not sure there is really anything new under the sun, beyond different colored candles.

You are so right about all the "competing stories dancing around". I take what resonates most with me and go with it.

I'm not sure if you've read "The Book of Balance and Harmony", which is a renowned anthology of writings by a thirteenth-century master of the Complete Reality School of Taoism. There is one quote in there that I really like.

"Effecting ultimate openness, keeping utterly quiet, .... I thereby watch the return".

A variation of that is: "In utter emptiness and complete silence, simply watch the return (to original nature)."