Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 01-02-2019, 10:09 PM
boshy b. good

could be inner support, for life.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:06 PM
boshy b. good

Quote:
my new found seating favorite be
a forward and also a down right
leg and foot and left foot crossed
to right leg inter - locked to ankle

i would like to break the norms about this one, too, by now
Old 04-02-2019, 09:06 PM
boshy b. good

just better bodying can do the track, with sit as positions, i assume, as a yoga duplicate, we figured out

probably a pillow and or better?
Old 25-02-2019, 11:12 AM
Pathfinder
You don't have to sit any certain way. The point of meditation is completely a conscious transformation. But getting comfortable is good. I keep my back on a pillow but my back straight with the pillow,completely relaxed.
Old 25-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Master
There are many ways to sit. We have all seen people sitting in the lotus and half lotus position (Assana), they sit this way for a reason.
As we meditate we increase the flow of prana (chi, Qi Ki its all the same energy) around the body. The purpose of the lotus and half lotus is to create energy locks that allow the energy to flow inside the human being rather than flow out of it, thus making the best use of the energy created in the meditation. These locks are things like putting the tongue to the roof of the mouth and crossing the legs. Those who use the half lotus and lotus also form their hands into various mudras (formal hand positions), these allow the exponent to direct most of the chi inwards but also to allow any excess energy to flow out, to the earth or to heaven wherever they decide to send it. Keeping the spine straight also help this energy flow and maximizes the energy created in meditation.
In the west we can struggle sitting in those assanas (poses) so often the egyption posture is used to garner the same benefits. this is basically sitting on a chair without arms, sit to the front of the chair (not leaning on the back if it has one) touch the ankles together, spine straight (don`t slouch), head tilted slightly forward to bring the cervical vertebrae into line and place the hands in front of you with the thumb and first finger touching and the other fingers straight (like the OK sign), gently laid on each leg (there are many other mudras but this is a nice simple one) then start your meditation.

You can sit how you like,but if you want to get the most out of your meditation this is the way. Its not easy to get used to and takes discipline to stay in, but its worth it.
Old 25-02-2019, 05:58 PM
janielee

Yeah posture matters IMV
Old 26-02-2019, 12:35 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
As we meditate we increase the flow of prana (chi, Qi Ki its all the same energy) around the body. The purpose of the lotus and half lotus is to create energy locks that allow the energy to flow inside the human being rather than flow out of it, thus making the best use of the energy created in the meditation. These locks are things like putting the tongue to the roof of the mouth and crossing the legs. Those who use the half lotus and lotus also form their hands into various mudras (formal hand positions), these allow the exponent to direct most of the chi inwards but also to allow any excess energy to flow out, to the earth or to heaven wherever they decide to send it. Keeping the spine straight also help this energy flow and maximizes the energy created in meditation.

Very good explanation, thanks. I have read that energy flows out of the extremities of the body (ie hands and feet) so the use of locks and mudras keep the energy flowing within our system.

Rolling the tongue back to the roof of the mouth is khechari mudra. From a yoga website:

Kechari Mudra is considered the king among mudras. ... Kechari mudra is a yoga practice where the tongue is rolled up to touch the soft palate initially and then with due practice it is inserted into the nasal cavity behind the palette . This is an advanced practice and the yogi is said to overcome thirst, hunger, decay and death by this practice. For most people this needs prolonged effort. The tongue should be rolled up to touch the upper palate. Initially it may be able to touch only the hard palate. With practice, it can go further behind to touch the soft palate. Later touches the uvula at the back of the throat. With practice, the tongue can go beyond the uvula and enters the nasal cavity to stimulate certain points inside the cavity. This may take months or years of practice. Eventually the yogi is able to taste the nectar (or Amrit) which flows from the roof of the nasal cavity. This nectar energizes the body and helps to overcome the need for thirst and food.

It may feel strange at first but it does become comfortable and it aids concentration.

My preferred meditation position is the full lotus for as long as I can bear it, usually 45-60 minutes. When the physical discomfort interferes with my meditation then I relax in the half-lotus.

Peace.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:57 AM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

The debate about how to sit it's been always controversial. It is true that you have to keep your spine straight to facilitate good blood flow. It's always hard at the beginning but it's get better with practice. However, at the end what's important is your concentration and everything that goes on in your mind. Remember you can engage in meditation everywhere and at anytime so don't worry too much about posture.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:37 AM
ant

Each to there own,no one can 'poop' straight.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:57 PM
Knower
I sit in a chair leaning against its back. I keep my feet on the floor with a grounding (or earthing) mat. It keeps my energy grounded. So that I can explore the infinite sky.