Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 11-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireBlue
For example light/dark, good/evil, love/hate, ego/spirit, night/day. If so, how is non-duality relevant to us if we live in a world of polarity?

Hello SapphireBlue

Nonduality does not mean the absence of polarity or relative duality. Put simply, it points (through the inadequacy of language) to the fact that even now as you read this… there is nothing other than an ineffable Source or Oneness at play. Reality - without a second.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
So non duality refers to a state of enlightenment, is that what you're saying?
In spirituality non-duality means a state of complete consciousness where the concept of 'other' or 'me' does not exist. While one can be enlightened and non-dual, the one term does not imply the other.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
"Only 'opposites'" implies there's only two-dimensions to the being of something or other.

Here are at least three thangs which exist in relation to and dynamically interact with one another:

There's (1) the wind that blows, (2) the thang (the sail of the 'boat') that is blown by the wind, (3) the 'intelligent' presence ('in' the boat) which hoists (or not) the 'sail', keeps the 'boat' from tipping by inventing and using (4) a 'keel', and steers to wherever it wants to go by manipulating (5) the boat's 'rudder'.

Have fun reconsidering.

I'd say there's a spectrum between opposites but that doesn't make the spectrum a polarity. You argument is compelling but not convincing.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AraceliCianna
I'd say there's a spectrum between opposites but that doesn't make the spectrum a polarity. You argument is compelling but not convincing.

Speaking of the 'spectra' of possibilities between 'polarities' (and other 'thangs' )

Maybe first try thinking in terms of three-dimensional space 'containing' more 'spectra' than a 'linearly' defined array (or possibilities) between two opposites/polarities.

Then graduate to thinking in terms of four-dimensional time-space and the now much 'greater' possibilities (specters, spectra? :smile") within that time-space.

And then graduate to imagining and thinking in terms of Life (a/k/a Reality) being matrixial, that is having an infinite number of dimensions and multi-'linear' interactions (hence spectra ) criss-crossing within IT.

That's how I (Sometimes mind-bogglingly!) think.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/s...or-matrix.html

Last edited by davidsun : 11-10-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanine
Non duality is relevant as it is the truth, duality doesn't actually exist it's like an illusionist using a trick, creation is watched by the self and the self is reflected in it like a mirror everything comes from the self and is witnessed continually. Doubt is used by the mind and will put the illusionist into play by the mind causing personality beliefs hence thinking we are people separate from the enlightened being
Yes to your mirror imagery and all. Regardless though, duality is an aspect of the incarnation state and a reality of the Physical plane. The human/souls I interact with in the Physical, are individual, separate souls. We do not occupy the same space. They are there, standing in front of me; and I am here, standing in front of them, and using them as my mirror. ("Don't move around please/thanks, it makes it difficult to see myself!") We incarnate in essence to experience duality. If it wasn't neccessary, souls would simply remain in the unity of the Spirit plane.
Old 20-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Master

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. Corinthians 13:12

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 20-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Master
Quote:
For example light/dark, good/evil, love/hate, ego/spirit, night/day. If so, how is non-duality relevant to us if we live in a world of polarity?
Many people like to take things to the extreme...i.e, if it isn't 'this' then it must be 'that'.
There are infinite gradations between each polarity which includes the polarity within that whole spectrum.

This is what non-duality is about...it isn't not/neither, but both.

It's what a lot of people, including many non-dualists don't get.
Old 20-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Master
'Duality' in the non-dualism context refers to the illusion or delusion that there is a volitional self-entity separate from 'everything else'. They call this false sense of self 'ego'. Modern non-dualism started with Ramana, but its continuous ancient form is vedanta-advaita. Maybe read a little Ramana to get the feel of it.
Old 30-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Master
My understanding:

Duality = a notion that we are the narrow ego, body self, separate from the Universal consciousness or God

Non duality = the oneness with the Universe we realise, know & experience during our meditational engagement
Old 30-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
My understanding:

Duality = a notion that we are the narrow ego, body self, separate from the Universal consciousness or God

Non duality = the oneness with the Universe we realise, know & experience during our meditational engagement

I would suggest that non-duality is a permanent changeless state of Being which is always present, whatever we are doing. This is not just something experienced temporarily during meditation.

Peace