Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 22-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Knower

Has anybody heard this?

Has anybody heard of Buddha being called Buddhan (pronounced Buddhaaan) Or Buddhists being called that, throughout history?

My 4 yr old boy was a Buddhist monk in another life- he had a dream when he was 2 1/2- 3. When he woke up, I went into his room and asked if he had any nice dreams. He said "yes I did" I said "oh, what did you dream about?" he said "I dreamt about everything" I immediately felt he meant the almighty everything! He said "I was a Buddhan and you were there too" I said "wow, what were we doing?" He said "we were talking to your Buddhan... There were many Buddhans there" I'm not a buddhist myself. I do value Buddhism but it's not something that I talk about so, he didn't pick it up from me. I have are many more cute (and incredible) stories regarding his interest and understanding of Buddhism. If I'm talking about anything that happened prior to him being born, he says "was that when I was a Buddhan?" hehe so I have no doubt who he was before he was born.

So I'm just curious, has anybody heard this name before?
Old 22-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Aesop

That's just wild. I've personally never heard of buddhan, but you never know. Does the kid have any buddhist influences in his life?
Old 22-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop
That's just wild. I've personally never heard of buddhan, but you never know. Does the kid have any buddhist influences in his life?

It is, isn't it! There are no buddhist influences at all- his dad's side are atheist and Christian and my side, I was brought up Catholic but have more 'new agey' beliefs. I tried googling it but no luck.

He loves buddhist temples, I promised him we would go to one. There's one near my friends place, so the three of us went down there. It was very interesting. It was a bit of a walk through the property to get to the temple. My friend said she'd been there a few times but the temple was closed. She said it doesn't matter because you can feel the serenity anyway and the views are beautiful. (she too isn't Buddhist but loves the peacefulness) as we were walking up, we saw a monk walking towards the temple from a different direction (he was the only person we saw there) We all arrived at the temple at the same time. Immediately, my boy put his hands up to his face in prayer and did a very slight bow (even I was amazed!) I told the monk about my son and he let us into the temple. My boy took his shoes off, ran in, sat down cross legged and did the prayer thing again in front of this giant Buddha statue. The monk came back and my son hopped up and did the prayer and bow again. But this time, I felt a moment between them. My boy had this divine, subtle smile on his face and the monk was completely taken with this moment. When we were leaving the monk said to me "you must bring him back when he is older, as this is very auspicious!" when we were walking back, my son said "the temple is very nice but it's not like my one" he proceeded to describe that the temple was up on the hill and where the pathway was.

But don't get me wrong, he's still a normal boy that likes normal things. This is just something he connects to and understands.
Old 23-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Master
Cosmicheart... It makes me wonder if this was an ancient term no longer in use for someone who is practicing Buddhism. I also wonder what your boy would say if you asked him what the people looked like, or other clues to what culture or time he was seeing.

Xan

Old 23-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Cosmicheart... It makes me wonder if this was an ancient term no longer in use for someone who is practicing Buddhism. I also wonder what your boy would say if you asked him what the people looked like, or other clues to what culture or time he was seeing.

Xan

I have wondered this myself. I asked him at the time of the dream what we looked like, what we were wearing etc as at that stage I wasn't 100% he was talking about Buddhism, he said "we looked like Buddhans!" hehe. But good idea, I will ask him again.

I want to share a bit more- soon after the dream, he developed a fear of Buddha statues (that has now passed) about six months later, I found out why. We were in the car and I decided to start doing some sounds with him, just for fun. Like aaaaaaaa then I started doing 'om' he said "do the Buddhan do that mama?" I said "yes!! How do you know!!" he said "I saw them out side the balcony... They were doing that at me" he constantly leaves me astonished! So I probed "what did they look like what were they wearing" etc he said they were my size, they were sitting on a pumpkin (there were 2 of them) he said he got scared and they left. But he had seen one a few times since, outside my parents place. I said "why didn't you tell me? And next time you see one, can you tell me?" he said "no, because it would scare you too much" haha I couldn't help but probe more but he said "that's enough words now" and has refused to talk about it since. Unbelievable! It feels so good to share this! Thank you :)
Old 23-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Master
I like how you are being with your son in this unusual situation, Cosmicheart. Sounds to me like he's got some Buddhist masters for spirit guides, maybe.

Xan

Old 23-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Knower
Budhan is a title, adjective, and name of a Hindu deity (not Buddha of "Buddhism"; though etymological history is shared).
Budhan essentially refers, in etymology, to, "old/wise".

Due to Budhan's (the deity) ability to convince his mother to speak the name of his father, he is considered wise and therefore named, Budhan.

As such is the meaning of Budhan, you can actually find it as a description for many places and individuals, but it is essentially often equal to, "buddha", (not the Buddha, but the word).

Ergo, Buddha (referring to the word) being from India would be a short-hand of stating, Siddhartha Gautama Buddha (if you were so titling Siddhartha Gautama); which may or may not be spoken with either variation being somewhat possible (as well as ending in, "m").

As an example, there is a place called Buddham, India; Budhan Khun, Pakistan; and in Sikhism, there is Budhan Shah (or Pir Baba Budhan Shah) [so named due to the myth of living for 500 some-odd years; ergo, "old" {Budhan}].

Similarly, there is Brahman, Brahma; so if Budhan, and Budha are similar in their grammatical function (all of these words being Sanskrit), then as Bráhman is the neuter noun and has the nominative singular, Brahmā; and Brahmán being the masculin noun with Brahma being its nominative singular; then at the very least this would indicate that Budha is the nominative singular of the noun Budhan, whether in the masculin or neuter.
Old 23-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
I like how you are being with your son in this unusual situation, Cosmicheart. Sounds to me like he's got some Buddhist masters for spirit guides, maybe.

Xan

Thank you :) it's hard to know what's the right thing to say and do, by him, sometimes.

Masters or spirit guides- interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Could very well be!
Old 23-03-2012, 04:16 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonR
Budhan is a title, adjective, and name of a Hindu deity (not Buddha of "Buddhism"; though etymological history is shared).
Budhan essentially refers, in etymology, to, "old/wise".

Due to Budhan's (the deity) ability to convince his mother to speak the name of his father, he is considered wise and therefore named, Budhan.

As such is the meaning of Budhan, you can actually find it as a description for many places and individuals, but it is essentially often equal to, "buddha", (not the Buddha, but the word).

Ergo, Buddha (referring to the word) being from India would be a short-hand of stating, Siddhartha Gautama Buddha (if you were so titling Siddhartha Gautama); which may or may not be spoken with either variation being somewhat possible (as well as ending in, "m").

As an example, there is a place called Buddham, India; Budhan Khun, Pakistan; and in Sikhism, there is Budhan Shah (or Pir Baba Budhan Shah) [so named due to the myth of living for 500 some-odd years; ergo, "old" {Budhan}].

Similarly, there is Brahman, Brahma; so if Budhan, and Budha are similar in their grammatical function (all of these words being Sanskrit), then as Bráhman is the neuter noun and has the nominative singular, Brahmā; and Brahmán being the masculin noun with Brahma being its nominative singular; then at the very least this would indicate that Budha is the nominative singular of the noun Budhan, whether in the masculin or neuter.

Wow JaysonR, thank you, it's so exciting to find out it actually means something!! You are really knowledgeable! Now I'm curious, do you have any idea why he could be calling it Buddhan instead of Buddha or Buddhist?
Old 23-03-2012, 04:23 AM
Knower

@Zan- I asked him before. I'm not sure what he remembers anymore (I guess this life has taken over a little) but he did say, "when I was a Buddhan, I didn't talk, not even make that om noise." he did say we were talking, in the dream but then you know what dreams are like!