Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30-09-2014, 12:49 AM
samsara4
Posts: n/a
 
Why does Yom Kippur come AFTER Rosh Shashonnah

I have always wondered why Yom Kippur comes after Rosh Shashonnah, the New Year.

It would seem that the day-of-atonement should come first as the old year goes out and the new year comes in totally atoned (for lack of a better word).

I know it won't change but I was curious about the sequencing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30-09-2014, 02:15 AM
RabbiO RabbiO is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 383
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsara4
I have always wondered why Yom Kippur comes after Rosh Shashonnah, the New Year.

It would seem that the day-of-atonement should come first as the old year goes out and the new year comes in totally atoned (for lack of a better word).

I know it won't change but I was curious about the sequencing.

Or you could wonder why Rosh Hashanah is celebrated on the 1st day of Tishri, which is the seventh month of the year, not on the 1st day of Nisan which is the first month of the year.

L'shalom,

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:02 PM
samsara4
Posts: n/a
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
Or you could wonder why Rosh Hashanah is celebrated on the 1st day of Tishri, which is the seventh month of the year, not on the 1st day of Nisan which is the first month of the year.

L'shalom,

Peter

I'm not Jewish so I wasn't wondering about that.

However, the sequencing of Yom Kippur AFTER Rosh Hashanah puzzles me. I'm still wondering about it.

P.S. Although I'm not Jewish, I do celebrate Yom Kippur for another reason. Years ago, I had a near death experience and was in an "irreversible coma" for 3 days before having a miraculous "symptom free" instantaneous recovery. The day I came out of the coma was Yom Kippur. (In addition, I had an awesome mystical near-death experience, but that's a story for another time.)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM
RabbiO RabbiO is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 383
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsara4
I'm not Jewish so I wasn't wondering about that.

However, the sequencing of Yom Kippur AFTER Rosh Hashanah puzzles me. I'm still wondering about it.


But that is something you should be wondering about because the 10th day of the seventh month (Tishri) is identified in the Torah as Yom Kippur, but the 1st day of the seventh month (Tishri) is not identified in the Torah as Rosh Hashanah. It is identified only as Yom Teruah, which by extension of the meaning of the word teruah can be translated as the Day of Sounding Horns.

L'shalom,

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2014, 01:54 AM
samsara4
Posts: n/a
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
But that is something you should be wondering about because the 10th day of the seventh month (Tishri) is identified in the Torah as Yom Kippur, but the 1st day of the seventh month (Tishri) is not identified in the Torah as Rosh Hashanah. It is identified only as Yom Teruah, which by extension of the meaning of the word teruah can be translated as the Day of Sounding Horns.

L'shalom,

Peter

That is not something about which I am going to spend any more time wondering about. I have yet to hear a meaningful answer. Perhaps, no one knows why it is this way. That does not speak well for the masses or their leaders.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2014, 02:38 PM
samsara4
Posts: n/a
 
Having said that, I do celebrate Yom Kippur even though I'm not Jewish. It was the day that I came out of an "irreversible coma" completely "sympton free" after a life-transforming mystical near death experience.

For me, Yom Kippur is verily my "high holy day" and my day of at-one-ment.

Note: For some reason, I could not edit my previous post which seemed a little harsh upon re-reading it. I had intended to add this as an addendum to that post but couldn't.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2015, 06:24 AM
Clear Blue Sky Clear Blue Sky is offline
Guide
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 547
 
LOL .... why am I laughing? Perhaps your 'some reason' answers your question. The old post was harsh. You wanted to 'addend append' at the end of the old post with your statement, but 'for some reason' it would not let you add to the harshness, but you needed to balance/balm it off with a 'fresh start'.

And that perhaps is your answer. Atonement is meant for the purpose of a FRESH START. :) Its not about sluffing off the old and tattered. It is about stepping into the newness. "How beautiful, when brothers live together in harmony. There the L*RD bestows his blessing, even peace forevermore." That is the spirit in which 'atonement' is to be approached: in the light of the New Beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2015, 06:25 AM
Clear Blue Sky Clear Blue Sky is offline
Guide
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 547
 
what the * why did that post like 26-27 times?!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13-10-2015, 07:37 PM
The Back Seat The Back Seat is offline
Guide
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 636
  The Back Seat's Avatar
Not completely sure but, I think roshashana represents the new year and Yom Kippur is the cleansing for the new year.
__________________
"When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.". - Pink Floyd

You'll find me here, in the back seat, just taking it all in
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums