Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 12-07-2019, 12:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
It seems – the more we, in our ordinary everyday lives, integrate aspects of ourselves – our thoughts/intellect, emotions and actions towards the intent of proceeding on the spiritual path – or towards God, Spirit, Buddha (the space above you head, like in some Buddhist Deity meditations, if you like) – the more we can then let go of them and rest in an open & empty non-thought receptivity.

It also seems that the more “Pure Spirit”-centered (rather than me-me-me and my endless counting of my meritorious achievements centered) we become – the more these synchronistic events happen …..
https://newbuddhist.com/discussion/1...f-coincidences

So. There is nothing wrong building up your physical strength to the max – this is very good!
I mean those dumbbells seem to practically be lifting themselves – when you get your Mong Wolf Blood or testosterone pumping … LOL! ….
(Got to have an objective humour about it as to not take one's self too seriously).

It is just good to remember the Buddha-above-your-head you are dedicating it all to imo. and LET GO.
DOING it all for the EYES OF Spirit, God, Emptiness - Buddha ......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQsFN64rEQ

There is the SYNCHRONICITY experience, the ZONE experience – the FLOW experience .... BUT there is also the mental/conceptual obsessive/compulsive-tunnel experience ….. and it is good to recognize and know them all …..

Today I trained, and due to the accumulated fatigue of recent training, my performance was very low, the body was stiff and painful, and there is no way around it. Forcing hard training on a fatigued body is only a high risk of injury, so the best way forward is to deload, take a step back, and do a week of light training to allow for recovery before returning to a normal progression of overload next week.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Today I trained, and due to the accumulated fatigue of recent training, my performance was very low, the body was stiff and painful, and there is no way around it. Forcing hard training on a fatigued body is only a high risk of injury, so the best way forward is to deload, take a step back, and do a week of light training to allow for recovery before returning to a normal progression of overload next week.
Yep.
After such hard workouts – I trust total relaxation and letting go – is a must.
Treat yourself to a massage and pamper yourself a bit.

Old 13-07-2019, 03:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient
Yep.
After such hard workouts – I trust total relaxation and letting go – is a must.
Treat yourself to a massage and pamper yourself a bit.

For me it comes back to staying with the 'I can' mindset, so when I realised I couldn't do the programmed workload, I didn't worry about 'I can't'. I just went with 'I can' deload for a week, and 'I can' continue the normal overload after a week of lighter workouts. Then I remain with the positive attitude of 'I can' instead of dwell in the negative of what 'I can't'.

I think this is a practical application of the Buddhist principle of 'right effort' to eradicate negative mental states and foster positive mental states as it applies to a normal everyday thing.
Old 13-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
For me it comes back to staying with the 'I can' mindset, so when I realised I couldn't do the programmed workload, I didn't worry about 'I can't'. I just went with 'I can' deload for a week, and 'I can' continue the normal overload after a week of lighter workouts. Then I remain with the positive attitude of 'I can' instead of dwell in the negative of what 'I can't'.

I think this is a practical application of the Buddhist principle of 'right effort' to eradicate negative mental states and foster positive mental states as it applies to a normal everyday thing.

one can still listen to the body with positive mindset in the face of physical changes and also listen to the fatigue in another way of self care. Sometimes continuing on with the same practice, you can overlook new subtle layers, revealed in the fatigue, the body might need ‘stretching out’ , ‘yoga’ or massage to soothe muscles, especially as it is a holistic creation.

A mindset in certain training practices that are geared towards ‘sameness’ can sometimes overlook right effort in those different practices mentioned. Right effort then taking up a more expanded positive mindset as your suggesting.

A mindset believing it can is a wonderful thing especially in terms of survival under the pressures of any external environments, that places limitations on our normal abilities, it can rise you above to overcome to survive. But ultimately listening to the body overall one with those external limitations/conditions, is what determines ‘how’ you survive.

The ‘i can’ then becomes more about how I listen to my body and it’s fatigue in new ways beyond its normal patterning.

I used to walk a mountain range that was pretty steep and fatigue was common. My walker friend would push through but slower to wait for me. He would see me going through a process where by I would stop, listen and change the walk itself. Sometimes I’d lay on the earth, breathe and blow, let go then I might go into a certain yoga pose to shift something. Then I’d get back to it, stronger and with more energy to maintain the walk. I became my own fuel, beyond pushing through with just positive mindset.

In this way fatigue is overcome with conscious right effort holistically and faster, with less losses to your current practice.
Old 13-07-2019, 08:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
one can still listen to the body with positive mindset in the face of physical changes and also listen to the fatigue in another way of self care. Sometimes continuing on with the same practice, you can overlook new subtle layers, revealed in the fatigue, the body might need ‘stretching out’ , ‘yoga’ or massage to soothe muscles, especially as it is a holistic creation.

A mindset in certain training practices that are geared towards ‘sameness’ can sometimes overlook right effort in those different practices mentioned. Right effort then taking up a more expanded positive mindset as your suggesting.

I used to design my own programs and include planned deload weeks to avoid excessive fatigue, but now I hired a coach to program for me and he ran me for 5 weeks and I ran out of steam on week 6. I used to program deloads every 6th week, so it makes perfect sense that hit the wall when I did. I never used to notice it before because my deloads were programmed at the right times so I never tried to train hard when fatigued before, but the new coach didnt plan in the deload, so I tried to do hard training when I actually needed a break form it, and just couldn't do it. There is also the added life stress of starting a personal training business, which is ridiculous hours. It all adds up and as they say, How much can a koala bear?

There are reasons I'm not happy with the new coach. He doesnt seem to keep training records, so I wonder how he is going to be able to manage overload in the long term, ans I don;t have a written out program that includes long term planning... so this one is going to lose me as a client if he doesn't step up his goddam game.

I do not train aspiring competitive athletes myself. I trsain general population (we call them 'gen pop'). I trsain people for important reasons, like an 80 yo man who doent want to go to a nursing home, and younger man who doesnlt want to be dependent on his partner as they grow old, another man who need to stay able because he cares for his ailing wife. I have young athletes as well who have their own motives, but all the people have deep and important reasons for doing what they do. Everyone has a workout record! Every detail of their training with me is recorded in a workout table, and I collate their entire training history. This way I can manage their plans over the long term both looking forward and looking back. I want to look after the people properly and I know how to plan out long term progressions, so I keep record of said progression and plan for the long term.

In my case, I became quite unfit by age 49, and I could see myself headed toward being infirm in a hospital bed, so I imagined myself differently as being strong and vital and headed in that direction instead. Some say we become what we think, and it is true in some sense, because instead of a hospital ward, I'm headed toward the lifting platform.

You might understand what a difference of mind that is.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I used to design my own programs and include planned deload weeks to avoid excessive fatigue, but now I hired a coach to program for me and he ran me for 5 weeks and I ran out of steam on week 6. I used to program deloads every 6th week, so it makes perfect sense that hit the wall when I did. I never used to notice it before because my deloads were programmed at the right times so I never tried to train hard when fatigued before, but the new coach didnt plan in the deload, so I tried to do hard training when I actually needed a break form it, and just couldn't do it. There is also the added life stress of starting a personal training business, which is ridiculous hours. It all adds up and as they say, How much can a koala bear?

There are reasons I'm not happy with the new coach. He doesnt seem to keep training records, so I wonder how he is going to be able to manage overload in the long term, ans I don;t have a written out program that includes long term planning... so this one is going to lose me as a client if he doesn't step up his goddam game.

I do not train aspiring competitive athletes myself. I trsain general population (we call them 'gen pop'). I trsain people for important reasons, like an 80 yo man who doent want to go to a nursing home, and younger man who doesnlt want to be dependent on his partner as they grow old, another man who need to stay able because he cares for his ailing wife. I have young athletes as well who have their own motives, but all the people have deep and important reasons for doing what they do. Everyone has a workout record! Every detail of their training with me is recorded in a workout table, and I collate their entire training history. This way I can manage their plans over the long term both looking forward and looking back. I want to look after the people properly and I know how to plan out long term progressions, so I keep record of said progression and plan for the long term.

In my case, I became quite unfit by age 49, and I could see myself headed toward being infirm in a hospital bed, so I imagined myself differently as being strong and vital and headed in that direction instead. Some say we become what we think, and it is true in some sense, because instead of a hospital ward, I'm headed toward the lifting platform.

You might understand what a difference of mind that is.

I see what your showing.

In your case it seems you as your own trainer knows “you” best.
Old 13-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Master
Quote:
I see what your showing.

In your case it seems you as your own trainer knows “you” best.

It's a bit tricky because for general strength development I'm happy to do my own programming, but to train for competition I want to be coached so I can just be the athlete, so if this one doesn't work out I'll just find another one, but next time I'll know what I need to tell them I need up front, and they can agree to that, and also offer more, before we get started. The coach has to work with me for a month and based on that he should be able to explain to me what I need, where we need to start and the steps we need to take to stand on the podium, and realistically, how long that journey should take. Then he should be able to explain the progression overview, and break it down to a week by week program which includes all the necessary steps along the way. I need someone who can lay it all out so I can feel confident in my steps.
Old 13-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It's a bit tricky because for general strength development I'm happy to do my own programming, but to train for competition I want to be coached so I can just be the athlete, so if this one doesn't work out I'll just find another one, but next time I'll know what I need to tell them I need up front, and they can agree to that, and also offer more, before we get started. The coach has to work with me for a month and based on that he should be able to explain to me what I need, where we need to start and the steps we need to take to stand on the podium, and realistically, how long that journey should take. Then he should be able to explain the progression overview, and break it down to a week by week program which includes all the necessary steps along the way. I need someone who can lay it all out so I can feel confident in my steps.

So what motivated/inspired you, to take the competitive path?

Is it just the next stage you’ve naturally moved jnto?
Old 13-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Master
Quote:
So what motivated/inspired you, to take the competitive path?

Is it just the next stage you’ve naturally moved jnto?

It's just a way to amp up the motivation to train. Have that goal which has to come true on a certain day, and if I stay on track with training, that goal remains realistic. If I miss training, the goal becomes unrealistic - so having that competition date is my way of 'keepin' it real' and it's hella exciting!
Old 13-07-2019, 11:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It's just a way to amp up the motivation to train. Have that goal which has to come true on a certain day, and if I stay on track with training, that goal remains realistic. If I miss training, the goal becomes unrealistic - so having that competition date is my way of 'keepin' it real' and it's hella exciting!

Yes I understand. I’ve always played sport and those times you get an opportunity to put your form into competition was both fun and exciting. And playing in singles championships was always exciting. And a nice reward if you did well.