Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
As I follow Buddhism I have picked my interpretation as it makes sense to me personally
If you're taking the Buddhist perspective aren't you supposed to question the Buddha?

As near as I can tell the origins are in Sanskrit so that's where I begin. It's not hard to follow it through in the cross-pollination of cultures and religions. What's interesting for me is that every religion was right for that culture at that time so when you put the word in context it makes more sense. Semantics aside, karma - or at least a version of it - is common to most religions and the only real differences there are are the ones we choose to make. Today the Law of Karma is 'portrayed' as reward, punishment and/or revenge mentality so there's an insight into what that reflects.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
But also I feel, of course I do not verily know, that re-incarnation may have more purpose than karma or kamma itself.
This is where things become interesting for me, when Universal Laws are taken out of their glass cases and set against other beliefs and laws. Dolores Cannon said that karma is really in the cycle of reincarnation; in one Life you're the victim, in the next you're the perpetrator and that gives you a balance. Karma and kamma also start coming apart at the seams in the context of 'we are here to learn the lessons' and toxic/negative energies/people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
I was thinking on attempting to utilize forethought reflection as a means of even if briefly a way of stepping back from the spontaneous action quickly, but long enough to reflect on such impulsivity first.
I was a very angry person when I was younger and prone to venting that anger. I still have a temper and it's not very often I lose it, the last time was when I found out my daughter was being abused by her partner and I was all set to go and put him in hospital. There's a very simple technique and all you really need is to be very aware of yourself and be able to recognise the signs. When you feel your anger rising all you have to do is take in a very deep breath, that allows you just enough time to put the brain into gear. When that happens you can manage the anger better, and anger is an energy so you can use it to your advantage. In the case of my daughter it brought an amazing clarity of thought that brought a much more pleasant solution. With enough practice it becomes automatic, then it gets interesting.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree

I'll respond at another point on this one

BT
As in the theory meets real Life?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
If you're taking the Buddhist perspective aren't you supposed to question the Buddha?

As near as I can tell the origins are in Sanskrit so that's where I begin. It's not hard to follow it through in the cross-pollination of cultures and religions. What's interesting for me is that every religion was right for that culture at that time so when you put the word in context it makes more sense. Semantics aside, karma - or at least a version of it - is common to most religions and the only real differences there are are the ones we choose to make. Today the Law of Karma is 'portrayed' as reward, punishment and/or revenge mentality so there's an insight into what that reflects.

Yes Kamma is portrayed as reward/punishment for some but not in Buddhism, yes I do question Buddha's teachings occasionally and when I find that they make sense and enhance my life and the life of others then I use them ( or try to)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Yes Kamma is portrayed as reward/punishment for some but not in Buddhism, yes I do question Buddha's teachings occasionally and when I find that they make sense and enhance my life and the life of others then I use them ( or try to)
I don't have any formal religious nor Spiritual teaching of any kind, and frankly my interests lie a long way from any particular school of thought. I'm a rebel, grrrr. Sometimes I'll look up a definition as I did with karma but that's to make sure I know what I'm talking about, and if something resonates with me then like you I'll at least try and implement it. I don't have an issue with the Buddhist karma because to some it will make sense, but to me it doesn't. It also doesn't fit with 'learning the lessons' and reincarnation.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Master
Quote:
I don't have any formal religious nor Spiritual teaching of any kind, and frankly my interests lie a long way from any particular school of thought. I'm a rebel, grrrr. Sometimes I'll look up a definition as I did with karma but that's to make sure I know what I'm talking about, and if something resonates with me then like you I'll at least try and implement it. I don't have an issue with the Buddhist karma because to some it will make sense, but to me it doesn't. It also doesn't fit with 'learning the lessons' and reincarnation.

Kamma in Buddhism is very much about learning a lesson, but reincarnation is not part of Buddhism, Buddhist believe in rebirth.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemcrusader
See title... if u get robbed, murdered?? basicly whatever..

Mayb if u murdered someone u get a terrible accident. It mayb so that karma doesnt come that direct. But its an interesting question i think.

Aside from whatever religions teach, divine justice is a very important part of truth to many people.

It's definitely true imo that 'what you give, you receive, multiplied'. Some call this the law of karma.

Something very important about this is that it isn't punishment. It's simply what works. It's the highest good for everyone, even for those who do wrong.

Two theories about justice are 'retributivist' and 'utilitarian'.

Retributivist is the idea of punishment (retribution). Utilitarian is the idea that justice should be that which is BEST.

I consider karma, divine justice, to be utilitarian, rather than retributivist.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Master

Quote:
Not just my gut feeling but it's all about reward and punishment, nothing more. I like to think I;m a good guy not because karma will give me some payback but because I know how it feels to be on the receiving end of the people who don't have the same moral compass as I have. I know how it feels and I can empathise on a very different level with people who have gone through the same.

Karma has been defined as two sides of the same coin, if you were a victim in one Life your karma is that you become the perpetrator in the next. That balances your karma. If people actually thought about it they'd realise that what doesn't kill them makes them stronger and all those hurts can be turned into halos.

'Real' karma at work is thinking something is bad karma, not learning the lesson and the effect of that is having to do it all over again and thinking that the Universe is out to get them because they were naughty in a past Life. Not to mention that intention 'eases' bad karma, so if I intend to do you a good turn and you break our leg, I don't suffer for it. What is the karma of discussing karma and not discussing the ethics it's 'based' on?

Here's the karma of thinking karma is good or bad at work. If you're looking to create 'good karma' for yourself you're acting from a place of wanting a reward, you're not acting from the vibration of being a 'nice guy' - you just want people to think you've put on the nice mask. That's a low vibration. If you hope that someone will 'get theirs because they've done you wrong' that's revenge and even though you wouldn't actually carry it out yourself it's still the revenge vibe just the same. Christ consciousness goes by the wayside because people want to believe in bad karma and that the Universe will show them the error of their ways. What happened to turning the other cheek? And while we're reinforcing our beliefs in bad karma aren't we completely missing out on Unconditional Love? Those are only the closest steps in a much larger picture because it goes a lot further than that. What's often not thought about is that effects create causes and it just keeps on going.

Karma - both 'good' and 'bad' - helps to perpetuate the darkness and causes inner conflict, because the bad guys seldom seem to 'get theirs'.

As for ethics..... In a rules-based ethics we're supposed to be nice to each other so if I call you an idiot? However you react is your lesson, and you're welcome so come back when you need another one. Believing in bad karma means you missed the lesson so your Spiritual Development takes a hit and believing you should 'do the Spiritual thing' means you don't get good and angry, go to college and get a degree to shove up my nose to prove me wrong. Unlucky.

Totally This is very instructive and imo technically right on. Yet even agreeing I guess I see differently. I wasn't going to comment except for the most beautiful and powerful thing said that I experienced that helped me see, it is about this belief of good. I am I think a good person to and believe one (can) sees one always has been (good), it was always there inside. To me this is, be in the Now. Let such things as ethics take care of itself. Love this clarification. I do believe our nature is good. I think this one thing is actually real.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Guide

I think, in hindsight, "bad" actions dont come back to u litterally the same. But more diffucult life situations. Mayb being born in a poor country is one of them. Or like having no food. This probably triggers some people, but its just a thought. Im not saying its true.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:

Another misconception Greenslade It's not questioning the Buddha, it's putting the teachings into practice to "know for yourself". The Kalama Sutra is for a group of non-believers, the Buddhist advice is for Buddhists. While Buddha never requested belief or obedience, you will find that Buddhists generally respect and follow the teachings of Buddha, especially once they have put his teachings into practice and have faith in the teachings (not through belief, but through having tested it for themselves). Kamma is intention, and with intention, speech/thought/body acts.

Quote:
Semantics aside, karma - or at least a version of it - is common to most religions and the only real differences there are are the ones we choose to make. Today the Law of Karma is 'portrayed' as reward, punishment and/or revenge mentality so there's an insight into what that reflects.

Well we just shared with you how it is in Buddhism and I'm afraid it's not the revenge or punishment mentality as you could see.

BT