Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 26-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Experiencer
Ive uncovered addiction

Hi
I have been doing an awful lot of healing on myself for last few years (this stuff is never ending lol). However now, even though I felt I was making real progress. I have noticed I am drinking a lot more than normal. My father is an alcoholic and so was his brother (my uncle).
I never ever saw this addiction or alcoholism within me but lately as I have been going deeper it seems I have uncovered a similar trait within myself. I cant believe its taken me all these years just to get to the stage my father has been his whole life. Yes, I feel more in tune with myself more and more. But this has really caught me by surprise. I think I managed to repress this aspect of myself so I wouldn't be 'like my dad'. Come to think of it I got 'addicted' to other things such as going to the gym and working out. I believe that this was the same aspect of myself but I managed to channel it into something more positive although it probably wasn't completely healthy. However, the energy I could potentially harness from overcoming this addictiveness within my personality could potentially be life changing.
I am at huge moment in my life where I am looking to move to a huge city and ive never left my home town, the whole thing is bringing up so much unconscious stuff. I really need to try and use this experience as constructively as possible.

I don't know much about addiction but I do realise around 60% of it is genetic with that in mind surely it could be a difficult thing to overcome.

Any thoughts please!

Thanks
Old 27-06-2015, 01:43 AM
Master
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySG
Hi
I have been doing an awful lot of healing on myself for last few years (this stuff is never ending lol). However now, even though I felt I was making real progress. I have noticed I am drinking a lot more than normal. My father is an alcoholic and so was his brother (my uncle).
I never ever saw this addiction or alcoholism within me but lately as I have been going deeper it seems I have uncovered a similar trait within myself. I cant believe its taken me all these years just to get to the stage my father has been his whole life. Yes, I feel more in tune with myself more and more. But this has really caught me by surprise.
Quote:
I think I managed to repress this aspect of myself so I wouldn't be 'like my dad'.

Yes sometimes the tricks of the mind become our own game to avoid something we don't like *out there* but we channel in ways that form addiction in sameness or other forms....This I found is the place where you can reveal those deeper levels of self saboutage...an important aspect of the mind that locks you into patterns to avoid what you don't like and not fully embrace as an aspect of you in some form. And remembering that everything is within. To become aware of this is life changing for anyone.

Quote:
Come to think of it I got 'addicted' to other things such as going to the gym and working out. I believe that this was the same aspect of myself but I managed to channel it into something more positive although it probably wasn't completely healthy. However, the energy I could potentially harness from overcoming this addictiveness within my personality could potentially be life changing.
I am at huge moment in my life where I am looking to move to a huge city and ive never left my home town, the whole thing is bringing up so much unconscious stuff. I really need to try and use this experience as constructively as possible.
Quote:
I don't know much about addiction but I do realise around 60% of it is genetic with that in mind surely it could be a difficult thing to overcome.

Genetic is a point of recognising that you may be carrying a generational healing seed within your own purpose of change and shifting. Even though the percentage you show is high, nothing is impossible to shift with focus and intention to clear it in yourself. If you are it, you will do it! Your showing how far you have come already, I think you should be really proud of your own awareness and what your embracing within you to know. The shift to the huge city and leaving home is symbolic of what you embracing at this level of the journey also. Generational healing is huge. And achievable, it took me a long time and lots of support, so maybe as you grow through this you find all that you need in the city your moving too. I am no expert for others, but understanding the nature of most aspects of letting go through my own experiences at the deeper state of awareness, I have come to learn that being open to know you can move any mountain you awaken, know the support is always there to help you in the tougher times and a knowing that sometimes the nature of greater endings and change in generational ties is a shared aspect for some Journey's and very attainable.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 27-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Suspended
Now is time to tune into the feelings that want to make you drink. You Father probably had the same feelings in him. You awareness is your guide.
Old 23-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

find support from the people around you, a big part of addiction is feeling alone
Old 23-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Master
TonySG, this was such a wonderful message to read... You will, if you accept it, have the most beautiful journey ahead of you. So much spirit, so much divine.

Find the closest Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, if there are none where you live/work, take phone meetings to get started. And try and stay open. Just listen and observe... If it is for you, you can truly consider yourself lucky.

(For me, my work in 12step programs have not only become the fundament of my life and spirituality, but also allowed me to see the man my deceased father wished he could have become. A reconciliation with the past which is priceless.

Write if you want to share your progress.

And we turn our attention to the world, not away. We receive our learning from the songs it sings and the choir of One we're all in.

And while we walk gently, we generate love, healing, the most powerful energy of all, Life!

Soaking in life, we spread the light <3
Old 23-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Master
Oh my this was a very old thread... Sorry, didn't notice

And we turn our attention to the world, not away. We receive our learning from the songs it sings and the choir of One we're all in.

And while we walk gently, we generate love, healing, the most powerful energy of all, Life!

Soaking in life, we spread the light <3
Old 23-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Pathfinder

I can pass some tips from my time in treatment services for addiction.

One is to find the triggers that make you drink. What is going on in your head before you drink, and perhaps more importantly, the hours before you drink? If you can identify what sets you off to drink, you can counter it with positive affirmations or grounding techniques until the craving passes.

AA is a wonderful spiritual philosophy, however I couldn't achieve success with it because I was unwilling to recognize a power greater than myself.

And one of the elements treatment programs constantly stress is to develop a sober support system. AA does that well, but there are also recovery forums online which helped me lot (soberrecovery .com). A support system helps people with terminal illness live longer, speeds behavioral recovery, and of course is mighty helpful with addiction.

So the basic set up is to develop spiritually, develop a strong support system of sober friends, and to develop a strong understanding of your triggers and how to avoid them or at least to ground yourself until they disappear.

In the USA, if you're low income, you can get free treatment for addiction, though it's not necessary for recovery.

One more note that helped me be successful is to write "recovery" or "sober" into your identity. I am a sober person now, and from this base of sobriety does my life spring. It was a spiritual awakening as much as anything.