Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 02-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Newbie ;)

Question how important is breathing fir meditation?

i know it helps to focus and relax
but
i see some techniques saying that if you keep your breath for this time or breath in or out for this time is very important and produce different results

what do you guys think?

personally i just count to 10 to relax and thats it
Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Master
Breathing is very important for life.. Without it, you have no life. And no meditation.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Master

How we breathe can make a huge difference. The whole process of rebirthing is all about breathing in specific ways in specific rhythms to produce specific effects. This also applies to meditation.

Without getting too bogged down in details, most people breathe in a shallow manner, ie just using the chest. We need to breathe deep into the abdomen.

There are all sorts of counts used in pranayama - breathe in for so many, pause for so many, exhale for so many, pause for so many. It is all out there online. Find what works for you and over time these counts may be extended.

You should find in deep meditation that your breathing becomes more and more quiet as your body becomes still.

Peace.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
Breathing is very important for life.. Without it, you have no life. And no meditation.

That's all there is to it.
Meditation isn't so much about breathing in my view as it is about keeping an object or an objectstream in mind. This may very well be the breath.

The breath as a meditation object is convenient because you have it everywhere you are.
Manipulating the breath to relax more, feel deeper or any other result is manipulating the breath to relax, feel deeper or gain another result. There's a subtle difference between the two.

I think when you manipulate the breath in meditation. Try to see/ stay aware of the experience that that is what you are doing.

I think meditation is valuable to penetrate some object. Seeing and learning about how the breath act's react's and influences the way you feel is as good a meditative object as counting the quantity of breath's is.

With Love
Eelco
Old 03-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Badcopyinc

Life is symbolic of how you breath.

If your breaths are short and fast than your life will be as well.
If you breath long and deeply then your life will reflect that as well.

I've also read about a few people just focusing on breath alone during their daily lives and achieving states of peace comparable to enlightenment.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Master
Breathing is very important in meditation.
When we meditate we focus the mind on one subject in order to stop the mind `thinking`, to slow it down. As the mind activity stills, many things happen; all those worries that hooked themselves into your mind, no longer have anything to hold onto, so they drop away, As the mind halts, the energy that was being wasted, going outward in random and worried thought builds and refreshes you. That same energy also starts to circulate around the body and spiritual passages with increasing vibration. You stop focusing on the human side of you and start to open up to the real spiritual side of yourself . Now this process is sped up by deeper breathing. The deeper breathing also has a massive effect on the body, as you breathe more deeply you oxygenate the body to a higher level, which energises the body. The slower breathing rate allows more time for exchange of oxygen and waste at a cellular level, meaning you clear the **** out of your body more effectively. But the most important reason why breathing is important is that oxygen and the energy of life are linked, this energy known as chi, prana ki and qi (all the same thing) increases our vibration as we breathe more deeply, this increased vibration located to a mind focused on particular points in the body focuses the energy there. So if the mind is focused on tan tien (the point below the belly button) then we are stimulating the energy around our whole system, if we focus at the ajna chakra, we are sending our intent and energy into the opening of the third eye. - So, yogically speaking, breathing is very important.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitefox
but
i see some techniques saying that if you keep your breath for this time or breath in or out for this time is very important and produce different results

Some meditations are assisted with special breathing techniques, and movement drills like yoga and tai chi incorporate breath, but outside these exceptions trying to control the breathing is pointless.

Quote:
what do you guys think?

Breathe normally, a 10 count to relax is just fine.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:11 AM
Master

Quote:
but

what do you guys think?

personally i just count to 10 to relax and that's it

You meditate to enter an altered state of consciousness. There are breathing patterns that can help you achieve it.

Browsing some of the replies, I can't help but smiling: people too easily dismiss as insignificant what they don't understand.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Master
Quote:
but

what do you guys think?

It all depends on the type of meditation you are doing. Some people try to jump to more advanced methods that serve a specific purpose, while others just make stuff up.

Basic breath meditation is used as a point of focus for the mind. You focus on the breath, nice and easy, get lost in thoughts and return back to the breath. Over and over again.

In time the silence grows and grows, one moves from focusing on the breath to then moving to observing thoughts, mindfulness.

Even mindfulness is just a stage, the brain engages, looking for a thought to observe.

Other traditions do a lot of holding the breathing, counting the breath but it is important to get an understanding from those traditions.

I am one for keeping things simple..

Hope that helps a little bit.

All the best,

Tom
Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Newbie ;)

let me put it this way
there re claims that breathing in for X secs
keeping your breath for Y secs
and breathing out for Z secs
will produce different results

are those claims real or foolish?