Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 AM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Seems like the Government makes a formal apology about the Residential Schools in 2008.

Speech made in parliament https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpn1erz1y8

text: http://caid.ca/CanPMApol061108.pdf

Australia has a similar history with the 'mission schools' and the 'stolen generation'. National apology was also made in 2008.
Yes, and the US had similar systems of oppression and cultural genocide. I've read the term "industrial schools" implemented as a tool of assimilation/oppression (ie, genocide) in the US.

Have you ever watched the video, "Rabbit Proof Fence"? It was a movie made about children in the residential schools in Australia. Our schools are showing it in High School Social Studies classes. Canada has a similar docu-drama, which shows the story of the mother of my nephew. Her name was Lyna Hart. It's called "We Were Children".

I'm so glad that more and more nations around the world are talking about this. It is yet one more holocaust in the books of human history - and educating ourselves about it is one way to ensure this atrocity is never committed again against innocent children and communities.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Knower
Sorry I haven't been in here for a long time, maybe years because i have mail back in the year 2013, it's now 2015, but i been busy with family, seems like alot of bad things been happening to my cousin's children, family, recently this summer, my cousin's daughter went missing right off our small island reserve, cops were around first week searching, questioning, now comes in the detectives, they told my cousin, there's been foul play, so they will be investigating everybody now, i put a photo of my neice in for a psychic reading part, if anybody would take a look at her photo for me please
Old 20-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Suspended
Thank You, I viewed it on your profile.
Old 24-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
Check out the film "Older than America". Its worth a watch.

Dreamy Mary Alice, my thoughts and prayers are with your family and I hope that things get sorted out properly and quickly for you all. I'll hang a Prayer bundle and feather for you.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 25-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamyMaryAlice
Sorry I haven't been in here for a long time, maybe years because i have mail back in the year 2013, it's now 2015, but i been busy with family, seems like alot of bad things been happening to my cousin's children, family, recently this summer, my cousin's daughter went missing right off our small island reserve, cops were around first week searching, questioning, now comes in the detectives, they told my cousin, there's been foul play, so they will be investigating everybody now, i put a photo of my neice in for a psychic reading part, if anybody would take a look at her photo for me please

I wish you all luck with your family problems especially your cousins daughter.
Old 18-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Newbie ;)

The summary of the trc report has been released. If you search

Final Report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, Volume One: Summary

Honouring the Truth, Reconciling for the Future

By Truth and Reconcilation Commision of Canada

There is also a pdf for those who cannot afford the book in hardcover or paperback.

This is the Final Report of Canada's Truth and Reconciliation Commission and its six-year investigation of the residential school system for Aboriginal youth and the legacy of these schools. This report, the summary volume, includes the history of residential schools, the legacy of that school system, and the full text of the Commission's 94 recommendations for action to address that legacy.

This report lays bare a part of Canada's history that until recently was little-known to most non-Aboriginal Canadians. The Commission discusses the logic of the colonization of Canada's territories, and why and how policy and practice developed to end the existence of distinct societies of Aboriginal peoples.

Using brief excerpts from the powerful testimony heard from Survivors, this report documents the residential school system which forced children into institutions where they were forbidden to speak their language, required to discard their clothing in favour of institutional wear, given inadequate food, housed in inferior and fire-prone buildings, required to work when they should have been studying, and subjected to emotional, psychological and often physical abuse. In this setting, cruel punishments were all too common, as was sexual abuse.

More than 30,000 Survivors have been compensated financially by the Government of Canada for their experiences in residential schools, but the legacy of this experience is ongoing today. This report explains the links to high rates of Aboriginal children being taken from their families, abuse of drugs and alcohol, and high rates of suicide. The report documents the drastic decline in the presence of Aboriginal languages, even as Survivors and others work to maintain their distinctive cultures, traditions, and governance.

The report offers 94 calls to action on the part of governments, churches, public institutions and non-Aboriginal Canadians as a path to meaningful reconciliation of Canada today with Aboriginal citizens. Even though the historical experience of residential schools constituted an act of cultural genocide by Canadian government authorities, the United Nation's declaration of the rights of aboriginal peoples and the specific recommendations of the Commission offer a path to move from apology for these events to true reconciliation that can be embraced by all Canadians.
Old 16-10-2015, 02:48 AM
Raven Poet

And if anyone has an Elder in their community, please consider taking some Asemaa and a gift to them to ask them if they would be okay with sharing some of their thoughts about this current process that Canada is undergoing called "reconciliation". So many Elders are waiting for the younger generations to ask them to share their stories and wisdom.

I'm facilitating a workshop on next Friday to help teachers have honest and respectful conversations about what they think reconciliation includes and what role they can play.

But I am going to see a dear Elder first to ask him if he'd share some of his thoughts that I can share at the workshop. Part of my work is as messenger and I'm honoured he even considers trusting me with this very personal and painful part of his history as a residential school survivor. Since he lived it, he is the "expert" in what reconciliation should include.
Old 16-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Poet
Yes, and the US had similar systems of oppression and cultural genocide. I've read the term "industrial schools" implemented as a tool of assimilation/oppression (ie, genocide) in the US.

Have you ever watched the video, "Rabbit Proof Fence"? It was a movie made about children in the residential schools in Australia. Our schools are showing it in High School Social Studies classes. Canada has a similar docu-drama, which shows the story of the mother of my nephew. Her name was Lyna Hart. It's called "We Were Children".

Sure. Rabbit Proof Fence is a brilliant film. I'll try to find the film We Were Children. Sounds good

Quote:
I'm so glad that more and more nations around the world are talking about this. It is yet one more holocaust in the books of human history - and educating ourselves about it is one way to ensure this atrocity is never committed again against innocent children and communities.

We can hope that in future there are no such atrocities and cultural diversity becomes a term associated with equality, but there are still deeply entrenched colonial views and social norms/policy that have a distinct flavour of imperialism and white supremacy, but in recent times, since the 70's, indigenous peoples have gained quite a powerful and reclaimed a legitimate self defined identity and status within broader society, so things are looking up, and change is a continual process.

Thanks for recommending that film. I hope I can find it online for free.
Old 21-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Deactivated Account

Hello members,

Political talk and debate not allowed on the forum. This thread will be removed shortly.
Forum rules:
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/fa...q_new_faq_item

Closed Thread