Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 26-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Master
Why so concerned with ''the afterlife''?

I've never really understood the concern or obsession people have with this thing called ''the afterlife''..? Many people seem bothered with it and wonder what the afterlife must be like, or whether it exists at all. Is it the fear of death and the unknown..?

If you cease to exist then there's nothing to worry about. If you live on then there's also nothing to worry about. You're responsible for your own actions so all you can do is improve yourself and own the decisions you make..

Then there's perhaps this fascination with ''other worlds'', as if this world doesn't provide enough satisfaction and fascination. We have astronomy, we have our own Earth with loads of different natural ecosystems and human cultures, we even have video games with fantastical places. There's basically no reason to worry over or fantasize much about the afterlife because we live now and there's enough to be enamoured by in the moment. People love to imagine something greater, not pausing and appreciating what has been given.

Am I the only one who's thinking along these lines?
The afterlife is sort of irrelevant and unimportant. We live only now.

Old 26-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Deactivated Account
I'm obsessed with the afterlife because I'm bored to death and sick of Earth and humanity. Oh, and maybe because I wish to know where I'll go and with who I'm gonna have to spend the rest of eternity when I check out. So in my case, isn't it a relevant thing to worry about?
Old 26-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Master
I couldn't agree more!
And many believe in reincarnation, then there is even less reason to fuss about it.
It is even scientifically proven we are energy in a physical body -meaning that is denser energy- and we as such continue to exist after our physical body is too old to continue. Which btw mostly / only happens due to stress. There is no reason whatsoever why we couldn't live on and on, remain healthy and not age in the slightest. This is also scientifically proven.

I must admit the thought of passing over doesn't make me jump for joy either, haha, I like it here ya know! But I'm not obsessing over it, nor over the afterlife. In a way like "Who the heck cares?"
We continue to exist, just not in this life and body.
Enjoy the life you have!
Old 26-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Master
I agree OP. Not before or after my belief in reincarnation.

I don't dwell on it, but it crosses my mind now again about having to suffer pain due to my death. But the actual cessation of this body no, that idea doesn't bother me.
Old 26-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Master

For me, what may or may not happen in the afterlife is important because it helps to put the physical life into perspective.

And if I find myself on some other plane of consciousness after my physical body has died then I would like to have some understanding of where I might be.

If I was going to Mongolia then I could simply get on a plane, arrive in Mongolia and then deal with whatever I find there. Or I could do some research beforehand so I have some idea of what to expect once I am there. It is my nature to do the research.

But I agree that we can only live life now, and one day my "now" will be the process of physical death. Dying does not bother me - I suspect it will be a great adventure.

Peace.
Old 27-06-2019, 06:59 AM
Master
An obsession with the afterlife and unhappiness doesn't sound healthy. It seems to prevent people from finding their place here. We are in this world now which means we ought to find our place and purpose, otherwise it will be a wasted opportunity. If that happens we find ourselves in the afterlife, incapable of things we might do in the physical world, feeling all sorry for ourselves for not having done much when we were physical beings. Is that what anyone would want? A sense of unhappiness with this world isn't going to leave us when we leave this world, that unhappiness is beneath the surface..

There is absolutely zero guarantee that the afterlife is any better. There are entire religions based on such false promises, like Christianity (almost any sect, including Gnosticism), Islam, Hindu sects etc. that seek an escape from the oh so dreadful world, not pausing and realizing what has been given and what is here to appreciate and enjoy. The obsession with the afterlife and with false hopes and promises is IMO rather deceptive and it's a mind trap. The word ''paradise'' alone is like that, it makes us delusional..

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
If I was going to Mongolia then I could simply get on a plane, arrive in Mongolia and then deal with whatever I find there. Or I could do some research beforehand so I have some idea of what to expect once I am there. It is my nature to do the research.

With respect, but I think all the 'research' on the afterlife will be for naught. You can gather the things you think are necessary and perform a check list, but your rational mind will be left behind. Whatever that will happen there is probably what we deserve, not always what we want.

Old 27-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
An obsession with the afterlife and unhappiness doesn't sound healthy. It seems to prevent people from finding their place here. We are in this world now which means we ought to find our place and purpose, otherwise it will be a wasted opportunity. If that happens we find ourselves in the afterlife, incapable of things we might do in the physical world, feeling all sorry for ourselves for not having done much when we were physical beings. Is that what anyone would want? A sense of unhappiness with this world isn't going to leave us when we leave this world, that unhappiness is beneath the surface..

There is absolutely zero guarantee that the afterlife is any better. There are entire religions based on such false promises, like Christianity (almost any sect, including Gnosticism), Islam, Hindu sects etc. that seek an escape from the oh so dreadful world, not pausing and realizing what has been given and what is here to appreciate and enjoy. The obsession with the afterlife and with false hopes and promises is IMO rather deceptive and it's a mind trap. The word ''paradise'' alone is like that, it makes us delusional..

With respect, but I think all the 'research' on the afterlife will be for naught. You can gather the things you think are necessary and perform a check list, but your rational mind will be left behind. Whatever that will happen there is probably what we deserve, not always what we want.

Investigating the possibilities of the afterlife is not the same as being obsessed by it. Nor does such investigation prevent us from living physical life to the full.

I do not study the afterlife because I am unhappy with this world. On the contrary, I am deeply grateful for my current life and the many opportunities I have. I consider myself to be a very fortunate fellow. I study the afterlife out of a genuine interest in what it means to be a human being, while still appreciating and enjoying all that the physical world has to offer.

You presume that the rational mind will be left behind at physical death. What if this presumption is wrong?

Peace.
Old 27-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Administrator
People wanting to know about the Afterlife or Spirit World is as old as time itself. you will get some that believe others that don't.
Myself being a medium yes I know there is a spirit World I have given Readings to many from loved ones in the spirit world,
But what makes people question it is because it cant be seen so if they cant see it. it doesn't exist

Namaste
Old 27-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Investigating the possibilities of the afterlife is not the same as being obsessed by it. Nor does such investigation prevent us from living physical life to the full.

I do not study the afterlife because I am unhappy with this world. On the contrary, I am deeply grateful for my current life and the many opportunities I have. I consider myself to be a very fortunate fellow. I study the afterlife out of a genuine interest in what it means to be a human being, while still appreciating and enjoying all that the physical world has to offer.
Yes, I see. That is possible too.
It's still all a bit far off. We rely on reading about it and belief, no matter what we experience ''spiritually'' it cannot replicate that moment after death. That is still going to be an unknown for us. We don't know what we will see, experience, what 'thing'/'message'/etc. will be emphasized. Is it useful to speculate about it..? I think we can only determine the outcome, maybe to some degree, by what we focus upon in this life.

Quote:
You presume that the rational mind will be left behind at physical death. What if this presumption is wrong?

Peace.

Based on my experiences I realized the rational mind is very limited and small. It actually already is in our day-to-day activities, we need to actively stimulate it, through specific duties and activities, for it to come to the fore. Most of the times it is not our base state, and many of the things we do happen automatically and without any deeper rational thought. What I experienced spiritually has made me aware that feelings are superior to it, and to get any deeper this controlling, rational mind must be left behind at such times..

It seems big to a human in active thinking mode and it has tremendous use in a human society but I very much doubt it will stay intact..
Don't think there will be that much left of it.

Last edited by Altair : 27-06-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Burntfruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
People wanting to know about the Afterlife or Spirit World is as old as time itself. you will get some that believe others that don't.
Myself being a medium yes I know there is a spirit World I have given Readings to many from loved ones in the spirit world,
But what makes people question it is because it cant be seen so if they cant see it. it doesn't exist

Namaste
I agree with NS.