Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 05-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
The body-mind has its own nature that also can't be denied or ignored. To do so and not accepting and recognizing its inherent frailties risks falling prey to its cravings and aversions. That was one of the big takeaways from my chat with a Buddhist priest. Be ever vigilant, the other being to maintain meditative practice.
Your post brought to my mind one of my brother-in-laws who was a high ranking police officer.
When the King died, he devoted his life for the King and became a Buddhist monk.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 05-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
And if you know yourself you know others.

To me it's a fascinating and humbling experience, to look at another person or even creature and in a very empathetic and visceral way feel the very same awareness within them.

I was a very avid angler, mainly catch & release, and now I'm certain that's in my past. Here's a Windfall Strain heritage Adirondack brook trout I caught on 9/29. Gorgeous, isn't it? This pond was going to be my new 'Honey Hole', but that's in the past and with no regrets.

Attachment 2846

Self-knowledge is the key to the knowledge of Truth or God. And throughout the ages, all the great enlightened beings taught this.

“Know Thyself” – Socrates
“Examine yourself & understand who you are… Whoever does not know self, does not know anything. But, whoever knows self, has acquired the knowledge of the universe.” ~ Jesus, Book of Thomas (Gnostic Gospels)
“Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.” – Lao-Tzu
“This is true knowledge, to seek the Self…To seek anything else is ignorance.” – Bhagavad-Gita
“He who knows himself knows God.” – The prophet Muhammad
“The body is the temple of the gods within you. And therefore, it is said, “Man: know thyself.” Egyptian Proverb
“Jesus said, ‘When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you shall know that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty.'” – Gospel of Thomas
“Those who know and realize the Self are forever free.” – Katha Upanishad
“All the scriptures tell us one thing: Know Thyself. If you have known yourself, you have known everything else.” – Swami Satchidananda.

Your fish is amazing, the beauty of Nature...
Old 05-11-2019, 12:55 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Self-knowledge is the key to the knowledge of Truth or God. And throughout the ages, all the great enlightened beings taught this.

“Know Thyself” – Socrates
“Examine yourself & understand who you are… Whoever does not know self, does not know anything. But, whoever knows self, has acquired the knowledge of the universe.” ~ Jesus, Book of Thomas (Gnostic Gospels)
“Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.” – Lao-Tzu
“This is true knowledge, to seek the Self…To seek anything else is ignorance.” – Bhagavad-Gita
“He who knows himself knows God.” – The prophet Muhammad
“The body is the temple of the gods within you. And therefore, it is said, “Man: know thyself.” Egyptian Proverb
“Jesus said, ‘When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you shall know that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty.'” – Gospel of Thomas
“Those who know and realize the Self are forever free.” – Katha Upanishad
“All the scriptures tell us one thing: Know Thyself. If you have known yourself, you have known everything else.” – Swami Satchidananda.

Yuppers.

Quote:
Your fish is amazing, the beauty of Nature...

Yes, it is! And even to the old 'Me' the most satisfying part was releasing it basically unharmed, cradling it in my hand while it's gills pumped water to re-oxygenate and then feeling it wiggle and then watching it swim off and not frantically but placidly.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:22 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Just a thought and I think this is where labels are problematic. For different people they are loaded with different meaning, and that meaning is in large part their interpretation based on a lifetime of experience and the belief systems they construct in mind.

I actually like realization better because that's all it really is, but realization to the point it becomes a lived experience. It's a shift of consciousness and identity from body-mind to awareness, and recognizing that in all living beings, whether they realize it or not.

Also the way one might actualize the realization differs. Some might renounce all things worldly and take a monastic path while others might not, however they will be a very different person with different priorities and goals. From reading and listening to the experiences of NDE survivors and how their lives are fundamentally transformed afterward it sounds very similar.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Taoism is definitely not New Age
According to the New Age Native American doctrine, (New Age Frauds & Plastic Shamans 'knowledge') ....even the Pre-Native Americans – holding onto their/our Ancestral beliefs are now seen as “New Age” & stealing their "Spirituality".

Last edited by sentient : 06-11-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 AM
Master
Knowledge is a funny subject. Sometimes knowledge can be quite obvious and other times not. For example if you have family and you have not heard from them for ages and you are getting worried - but then you receive a call from them and then you know they are okay. That kind of knowledge is invaluable. It changes your fear into reassurance instantly.

It is like waiting for something in the post - you can see the postman heading in your direction but you are not sure if he has the item. But then he delivers the item and you have it in your hands. That type of knowledge is obvious and fundamentally reassuring. The worry passes instantly.

It strikes me that God is that type of knowledge - He is obvious. Is there some ground under my feet? Yes. It is clear. God is that type of reassurance.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.