Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 13-02-2016, 02:09 AM
Newbie ;)

The irony of the vegan stereotype

You know the vegan stereotype - that vegans are pushy, rude, and try to convince everyone else to eat the way they do.

What I find funny is that since I've become vegan, I've had multiple people criticize my diet, yet I have not once criticized anyone else's food choices. My parents tell me it's unhealthy, a lot of people ask why I'm doing it (I feel like it should be obvious why I'm doing it), one guy asked about the diet in a way that sounded skeptical that I would keep doing it. I had one guy ask if I was vegan, then ask where I got my protein, then like a second later show me a video of a guy hunting a shark (he's a douche and he did this on purpose).

I've only told my parents and one of the guys about my diet change.

What's even better is that half of these people have health problems most likely caused by eating meat and dairy.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not mad. It's just kind of baffling that they don't realize how hypocritical they are.
Old 13-02-2016, 05:26 AM
Deactivated Account
Although I am not vegan (not quite but much of my diet is vegan), I too, have experienced what you describe, just from being a vegetarian around meat eaters. I don't tell people what to eat and I don't appreciate it when people do that to me. Yet people still react defensively. They talk more about my diet than I do, sometimes.

I think it comes down to people knowing on some level, even if it's only subconscious, that the way they eat is wrong. On top of that, here is someone standing in front of them who is able to consciously execute self control and self discipline when it comes to diet and being willing to take responsibility for personal health. I believe this strikes an inner chord of fear in the heart of some. The idea that someone else is consciously exercising spiritual maturity, and awareness in regards to what they put in their mouth, can be very threatening. It perhaps implies, 'do I have to grow up too?'.

I am by no means suggesting there aren't any meat eaters who successfully take conscious personal responsibility for the way they eat and their personal health...however, the defensive ones to me suggest there is something going on there psychologically; also, regardless of meat or no meat I wouldn't agree that the level of personal responsibility when it comes to addressing how the way one eats affects the environment, animals, and the likelihood of atherosclerosis, etc, of a meat eater, is the same at all when compared to a vegetarian or especially a vegan. Regardless of other dietary health concerns which may be consciously addressed.

https://youtu.be/1q-k1Ev8fVc

Last edited by Ciona : 13-02-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Master
Have you heard this joke?

How can you tell if someone is a vegan?

They tell you.

Old 13-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elli24
You know the vegan stereotype - that vegans are pushy, rude, and try to convince everyone else to eat the way they do.

What I find funny is that since I've become vegan, I've had multiple people criticize my diet, yet I have not once criticized anyone else's food choices. My parents tell me it's unhealthy, a lot of people ask why I'm doing it (I feel like it should be obvious why I'm doing it), one guy asked about the diet in a way that sounded skeptical that I would keep doing it. I had one guy ask if I was vegan, then ask where I got my protein, then like a second later show me a video of a guy hunting a shark (he's a douche and he did this on purpose).

I've only told my parents and one of the guys about my diet change.

What's even better is that half of these people have health problems most likely caused by eating meat and dairy.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not mad. It's just kind of baffling that they don't realize how hypocritical they are.

You make good healthy choices, and maybe have ethical values, so more power to you.
Old 14-02-2016, 02:22 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Have you heard this joke?

How can you tell if someone is a vegan?

They tell you.

Yeah it cracks me up
Old 14-02-2016, 02:24 AM
Newbie ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Moon
Although I am not vegan (not quite but much of my diet is vegan), I too, have experienced what you describe, just from being a vegetarian around meat eaters. I don't tell people what to eat and I don't appreciate it when people do that to me. Yet people still react defensively. They talk more about my diet than I do, sometimes.

I think it comes down to people knowing on some level, even if it's only subconscious, that the way they eat is wrong. On top of that, here is someone standing in front of them who is able to consciously execute self control and self discipline when it comes to diet and being willing to take responsibility for personal health. I believe this strikes an inner chord of fear in the heart of some. The idea that someone else is consciously exercising spiritual maturity, and awareness in regards to what they put in their mouth, can be very threatening. It perhaps implies, 'do I have to grow up too?'.

I am by no means suggesting there aren't any meat eaters who successfully take conscious personal responsibility for the way they eat and their personal health...however, the defensive ones to me suggest there is something going on there psychologically; also, regardless of meat or no meat I wouldn't agree that the level of personal responsibility when it comes to addressing how the way one eats affects the environment, animals, and the likelihood of atherosclerosis, etc, of a meat eater, is the same at all when compared to a vegetarian or especially a vegan. Regardless of other dietary health concerns which may be consciously addressed.

Good point!
Old 14-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Master
Bunny

I think some of this might have to do with PETA's influence on popularizing veganism. PETA is not a bad organization by any means, but the group is very very decisive on veganism--and it's members sometimes can be quite vocal at expressing their opinions.

That said, I think even if vegans do get in other people's faces on occasion, with strong commentary about being respectful to animals--that really shouldn't be looked down on. In their view, they are saving lives--lives on a soul level that are no less important than ours.

I wish more people would realize, that a lot of vegans aren't criticizing one's eating habits, they aren't trying to judge or be superior--they are simply concerned and upset at the concept that one would actually eat the flesh of another living being.
Old 14-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Master

The way I see it it's no different to Amnesty International or the Abolitionist Movement of yesteryear ...

'Silence is sometimes the best answer' - and sometimes silence makes 'you' complicit ...

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 14-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Experiencer
I think the ego of many people have grown to oversized proportions in the last few decades or so. 40 or 50 years ago people were much more humble and satisfied with what they had. These days it's never enough and everybody wants to be in 1st place.
They know better about everything and often without any serious knowledge of the matter.

When I talk to people about food and diet I compare my health issues with theirs. That usually turns out best for me.

I am so happy that I switched to a plant based diet several years ago. My health has improved so much since then. And my food tastes so much better too. I just feel great.