Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
samsara4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
Mantras are like Gurus or religions or wives. One is enough, (too many at times).

Well put --- "too many at times".

My mantra "just happened" as well despite initial resistance and unmistakable confirmations.

Aum Namasivaya.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Flear

i refuse to sponsor misleading thoughts about 'good karma' or 'bad karma' as these promote ideas of "you deserve to be treated like dirt!", "you'll get what's coming to you!" (in a negative sense).

i have only heard people talk about karma in a way that promotes negative thinking, ... especially of the person that was talking about how the other person deserves bad in their life.

best definition of karma i heard puts it something along the lines of "it's where you are now, (not unlike a scoreboard) but you can change your karma as easily as changing your path in life, and all past good or bad karma is wiped away"

like someone who is involved with gangs and all the crime they can be associated with, one day looking at his life, looking around and realizing "this isn't want i want, not for myself, nor what i want to be doing for others" and to walk away to lead a better life, even encouraging others, talking with kids who would have otherwise gotten involved in gangs and sharing his experiences so he can help them lead more noble lives.

not being tied down by the past, but being released from it.

i know people relate more to good karma and bad karma, it's just that i have never heard anyone use it in terms that are not condescending.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
samsara4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flear
best definition of karma i heard puts it something along the lines of "it's where you are now

I was thinking along the same lines. Without judging "good" or "bad", I see karma as the sum total of inner pressures manifesting where we are here-and-now.

When inner pressures ultimately dissolve, however, where is karma ?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flear
i have only heard people talk about karma in a way that promotes negative thinking, ... especially of the person that was talking about how the other person deserves bad in their life.

best definition of karma i heard puts it something along the lines of "it's where you are now, (not unlike a scoreboard) but you can change your karma as easily as changing your path in life, and all past good or bad karma is wiped away"

Yes there are various understandings of karma, some of them not exactly beneficial. I like your definition as well. The person who sees suffering in another as a result of bad karma, and therefore does nothing certainly doesn't understand it in any kind of cause-effect way, or they'd do something, fully realising that not doing something is also an action.

I've also seen people use it as an excuse for themselves. "It must be my bad karma that I can't get a job." "My car broke down so it's bad karma."

No. Maybe you're not qualified for the job, or too lazy to look for one.
Cars wear out. they break down. That's just life, not karma.

Most Hindus I know, though, are not like that so much. Most see it as a reason for dharma, a reason to behave in a dharmic fashion, and most don't give it a great deal of thought.

Of course experiences do differ, and it's human nature to come to conclusions based on one's own experiences.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Flear

i don't adhere to much of what is claimed "human nature"

i look around and millions are doing things differently than me
i can't be the only one who has it right, so i learn from others experiences, it does tend to make life so much easier to consider others experiences as well
Old 29-03-2016, 12:53 AM
Deactivated Account
Smile Semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Hindus tend to use the words I AM to indicate God. They tend to equate the "I" with God too. This has caused me endless problems in the past; but after 10 years of soul searching and discussion here at SF I finally grokked it.

However - I do wonder why they have this inclination towards "I" instead of God!!!!
IMO, it all ends up being a semantics issue. Any word can be used to represent 'god'.
I believe the Hindus and many other mystics, East and West, came to realize that our individual "I" is the nearest thing to infinite reality in which there is no individual, separate "I" but only a single, silent, presence which can also be called "I" - but a real, eternal "I" instead of the temporary, limited personal "I" that is commonly referred to.
Most modern teachers and spokespersons have given up using the worn out term "god" and have replaced it with more meaningful terms like: Being, That, Awareness, Source, This, It, I, etc. It's just semantics.