Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 17-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Master
Why do the Hindus use the term I AM instead of God?

Hindus tend to use the words I AM to indicate God. They tend to equate the "I" with God too. This has caused me endless problems in the past; but after 10 years of soul searching and discussion here at SF I finally grokked it.

However - I do wonder why they have this inclination towards "I" instead of God!!!!

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 17-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Hindus tend to use the words I AM to indicate God. They tend to equate the "I" with God too. This has caused me endless problems in the past; but after 10 years of soul searching and discussion here at SF I finally grokked it.

However - I do wonder why they have this inclination towards "I" instead of God!!!!

Only in Advaita Vedanta. In bhakti schools, it's all glories to Sri Krishna, Sri Murugan, Amman, etc. God is everywhere, and it's more likely to see the use of the particular God's name than the term, 'God'.

"So I'm off to see Ganesha at His temple." is way more common than 'I', or 'We're off to see God."

So this inclination you see is in one philosophical school only.

It's also quite normal, (because Indians often don't get around much, or read much outside their school) to have it portrayed as 'This is Hinduism" when really it isn't. It's just one school.
Old 17-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
It's also quite normal, (because Indians often don't get around much, or read much outside their school) to have it portrayed as 'This is Hinduism" when really it isn't. It's just one school.

This is interesting. That explains a lot.

As for the original OP, the 'I AM' bit comes from the understanding that 'I AM THAT'.
'THAT' is what you see or seek outside yourself. So if you are that too, then all that remains is 'I AM'.. does that make sense?
Old 17-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden

The ethnocentrism within the Hindu community is kind of sad for people learning about Hinduism. There is great variety in Hindu temples, for example, and if a person (newcomer) goes to only one, they think that that is Hinduism. (naturally) So it may be best to go to three or 4 temples, as it'll give you a better picture. India is more comparable to Europe for culture. There are some 20 odd languages with over 40 million speakers.

For similar reasons, many people think the Gita is an overall Hindu scripture, even THE scripture. In reality it's the Vedas, and the Gita, although popular is a sectarian (Vaishnava) scripture.

So personally, I try to give two answers, the overall view, and maybe that of my own school.
Old 25-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden

As for the original OP, the 'I AM' bit comes from the understanding that 'I AM THAT'.
'THAT' is what you see or seek outside yourself. So if you are that too, then all that remains is 'I AM'.. does that make sense?

YES!! This makes absolute sense. Thanks for this bit of info!
Old 13-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Master

Quote:

This is a part of Jnana Yoga ( yoga of the intellect ). Yes, it is bound to be confusing initially to those who lack training in meditation and Vedanta ( Hindu metaphysics ).

Quote:

The "I" here actually denotes consciousness or awareness.

As per Vedanta, God is all pervading consciousness.

Instead of searching God outside, one can find Him in one's own consciousness.

This has also been stated in other religious traditions.

Jesus has said thus,"Be still and know that I am God". "He who is pure of heart shall see God."

Muhammad said, "God is closer to you than the vein in your neck."

The consciousness becomes clear when it is still and pure through meditation, undisturbed by thoughts,desires or cravings.
Old 13-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Master
That is very helpful. Thankyou!

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 27-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00
This is a part of Jnana Yoga ( yoga of the intellect ).

There are two quite divergent views on what jnana yoga is. One is what you said, and the other is probably almost the exact opposite. In the other far more mystical view, it is knowledge that comes from within, not book knowledge at all. So the yogi or mystic who gains insight from meditation is a jnani, or jnana yogi. In this view, the other view is practiced only by scholars, not mystics.

Many of our greatest saints didn't read books at all, bit accessed the place within that holds knowledge.
Old 27-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Flear

you're asking why some word gets translated into another word ?

you're not familiar with languages & translations are you ?

every translation is always "best fit". there is almost never a translation between different languages that is exact.
Old 27-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka
There are two quite divergent views on what jnana yoga is. One is what you said, and the other is probably almost the exact opposite. In the other far more mystical view, it is knowledge that comes from within, not book knowledge at all. So the yogi or mystic who gains insight from meditation is a jnani, or jnana yogi. In this view, the other view is practiced only by scholars, not mystics.

Many of our greatest saints didn't read books at all, bit accessed the place within that holds knowledge.

I would say both meditation and Vedanta are part of Jnana Yoga where philosophical understanding plays a major role.

The mystical part, precisely speaking, would be more in tune with Raja Yoga.