Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 PM
kundalini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels444
Hi guys,

If its okay to butt in here, I studied aromatherapy a few years ago and, while I wouldn't claim to be a seasoned expert, I've been experimenting on and off with the oils and meditation. Interestingly enough, Lavender is actually my least favourite oil - it's a scent that I simply cannot get used to. One of the intriguing things about essential oils is that they seem to be ineffective if the user finds them offputting. Frankincense is a favourite of mine. Burning a few drops in water can help you access altered states of consciousness and maintain a connection to spirit. But it's very much a case of each to his own! (Just make sure to follow the usual precautions when using essential oils).

Hi Angels444, thanks for your comments. However, I was referring to lavender in the context of being used as incense and not of it's use as an essential oil. It's good that you brought this up though because as far as I can see, nobody has yet mentioned ( in this thread ) using essential oils in conjunction with meditation so it may be a new thing for us to try!

Kundalini.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Angels444

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundalini
Hi Angels444, thanks for your comments. However, I was referring to lavender in the context of being used as incense and not of it's use as an essential oil. It's good that you brought this up though because as far as I can see, nobody has yet mentioned ( in this thread ) using essential oils in conjunction with meditation so it may be a new thing for us to try!

Kundalini.

Oops...I see now that you were referring to incense. Thats what I get for speed reading! Good luck with the oils if you decide to give them a go.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
kundalini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels444
Oops...I see now that you were referring to incense. Thats what I get for speed reading! Good luck with the oils if you decide to give them a go.

I have actually used essential oils before in oil burners but not as an aid to meditation, rather just to create and maintain a good atmosphere. I used to prefer incense but they are more 'smoggy' in effect than essential oils, if you understand what I mean. If you don't mind me asking Angels444, have you got any recommendations for relaxing essential oils to be used in an oil burner, or as an aid to meditation?

Many thanks, Kundalini.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Angels444

Quote:
I have actually used essential oils before in oil burners but not as an aid to meditation, rather just to create and maintain a good atmosphere. I used to prefer incense but they are more 'smoggy' in effect than essential oils, if you understand what I mean. If you don't mind me asking Angels444, have you got any recommendations for relaxing essential oils to be used in an oil burner, or as an aid to meditation?

Many thanks, Kundalini.

Sure. There are quite a few relaxing essential oils, so I'll just name some off the top of my head: My own preference, as I mentioned earlier, is Frankincense - both for relaxation and as an aid to meditation. Lavender, as you know, is probably the most well-known of the "relaxing" oils, though it just doesn't do it for me.

Jasmine (known as the King of Oils) is a strong, "emotionally warming" oil that is great for relaxation, though it wouldn't be the cheapest oil to invest in. (However, I'd strongly advise against purchasing cheap versions of any oil, as synthetic versions have a sickly sweetness to them that do not compare to the real thing). That said, Jasmine would be used more in massage and in baths, than in burners, due to its cost. It's also quite strong and a little goes a long way.

Another favourite of mine is Bergamot: it's an uplifiting, yet relatively relaxing oil with a light, fruity, refreshing scent. Good for anxiety and stress and clearing the cobwebs, I find. (note: a photosensitiser oil - avoid sun exposure if using in bath or in massage).

Sandalwood (often used in mens cosmetics) is a great seditating, relaxing oil. I personally wouldn't burn this oil on its own, as I'd find the smell too "woody", though many people like that.

Ylang Ylang is also very popular for its calming and relaxing properties(though, no more than Lavender, not for me!).

They're just a few off the top of my head Kundalini - I haven't listed any of the "relaxing" oils that I haven't experimented with in meditation.

As I said before, I personally find that a few drops of Frankincense works best when meditating. Though it's very much a case of personal taste and preferences when it comes to essential oils.

(I'm enclosing a note of caution regarding the oils below, just for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this thread).

All the best,

Angels444.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Angels444

Kundalini, I've just noticed that I'm called a "seeker"....and I see that you are an "experiencer". Excuse my ignorance, but what is that about???!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 03:38 AM
kundalini

Hi Angels444, first, thanks for taking the time to write out that list of oils. You obviously are quite knowlegeable on the subject and I shall be sure to consult it periodically. Maybe you should carry on with your aromatherapy-related studies! You seem to have a deep interest in the topic!

Secondly, the 'Seeker' and 'Experiencer' term listed underneath our names is simply related to how many posts a person has made. I have been a member of this forum for some time and so have posted a lot of posts and therefore my 'term' is different to yours. I don't know at exactly what number of postages, the term changes to a different term but if you would really like to know, then just 'private message' devolution, the forum administrator, with your question.

I am sure he could tell you. Many thanks once again for the list, Kundalini.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:47 AM
BLAIR2BE

Color

Just A Thought...
It Seems The "not Enough Hours In The Day" Mentality Has Been Perpitrated To Prevent Us From Advancing Our Spiritual power, Individualy And Collectively, Through Meditation And The Like (we're Kept too Busy; I Think On Purpose).... Just A Thought
Old 12-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Angels444

Quote:
Hi Angels444, first, thanks for taking the time to write out that list of oils. You obviously are quite knowlegeable on the subject and I shall be sure to consult it periodically. Maybe you should carry on with your aromatherapy-related studies! You seem to have a deep interest in the topic!

Secondly, the 'Seeker' and 'Experiencer' term listed underneath our names is simply related to how many posts a person has made. I have been a member of this forum for some time and so have posted a lot of posts and therefore my 'term' is different to yours. I don't know at exactly what number of postages, the term changes to a different term but if you would really like to know, then just 'private message' devolution, the forum administrator, with your question.

I am sure he could tell you. Many thanks once again for the list, Kundalini.

No problem Kundalini. Yes, I did find aromatherapy very interesting whilst studying it. Yet I have zero interest in practicing it!

Thanks for explaining the
Old 13-09-2006, 12:16 AM
kundalini

[quote=Angels444]No problem Kundalini. Yes, I did find aromatherapy very interesting whilst studying it. Yet I have zero interest in practicing it!

Thanks for explaining the
Old 13-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Angels444

Well, knock me down with a feather. I was joking with the "knower" term - I thought I'd made it up! I never realised that it actually exists! Isn't it amazing how much we take in on a subconscious level that we are consciously unaware of?

Absolutely - it makes no odds to me what I am Kundalini. I was just having a laugh!
Closed Thread