Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 31-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Master
Shivani,

Thank you for your response to me regarding the Vedas, it has helped me learn a bit more, with regards the deities, as I did not know those in the Vedas were that much older- I did realize the main deities in Hinduism, and that also there are minor ones, but have not known exactly whom the minor ones were, this happens to be what I am currently learning.

The process is slow, but I do feel in the end it will be rewarding. I am not Hindu- as in I do not practice the religion, but tracing family origins back, yes in a way my ancestors come from this area, which is why I am researching it. I have remembered much from my past talks with my grandmother during this process, which has helped me as an individual.

Thank you, Shivani, for your response.

Old 31-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturninePluto
Shivani,

Thank you for your response to me regarding the Vedas, it has helped me learn a bit more, with regards the deities, as I did not know those in the Vedas were that much older- I did realize the main deities in Hinduism, and that also there are minor ones, but have not known exactly whom the minor ones were, this happens to be what I am currently learning.

The process is slow, but I do feel in the end it will be rewarding. I am not Hindu- as in I do not practice the religion, but tracing family origins back, yes in a way my ancestors come from this area, which is why I am researching it. I have remembered much from my past talks with my grandmother during this process, which has helped me as an individual.

Thank you, Shivani, for your response.

You are more than welcome.

Basically, in Hinduism, there are three main Deities, Viz Vishnu, Shiva and Shakti.

Other deities are worshiped as either avatars or children of these, according to a specific purpose.

Krishna and Rama are both avatars of Vishnu, Hanuman is said to be an avatar of Shiva, while Ganesha and Murugan are sons of Shiva and Shakti.

Basically, this is IT as far as Deity worship goes, with everything else being a "minor Deity" although Surya and Agni still get worshiped during the homa sacrifice and the planetary deities still get a look in during the Nav Graha Puja.

Brahma doesn't get worshiped because he fell out of favour with the rest of the gods.

Also, certain deities are worshiped for specific reasons..

For removing obstacles, Ganesha is worshiped.
For success in exams or in the arts, Saraswati is worshiped.
For luck or money, Lakshmi is worshiped.
For spiritual progress, Shiva is worshiped.

Maybe I am sharing too much at a time though..but yeah, I am like an old Hindu grandma with all the stories I know.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 01-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Suspended
.........hh
Old 01-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Suspended
I wrote a question but this site deleted it when I went to post it I'll write it out again after.. and stuff. If that's ok, it was about Hindu mythology.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Grows
I wrote a question but this site deleted it when I went to post it I'll write it out again after.. and stuff. If that's ok, it was about Hindu mythology.
Sure. Another member has been having problems trying to post on this thread as well. If it continues, I'll get the staff to look into it.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Brahma doesn't get worshiped because he fell out of favour with the rest of the gods.
You got any more about this?

Makes sense that a philosophy that focuses on 'blissing' out of this 'world' would not be enamoured with the 'creator' of this world. But is that it?
Old 02-08-2018, 02:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
You got any more about this?

Makes sense that a philosophy that focuses on 'blissing' out of this 'world' would not be enamoured with the 'creator' of this world. But is that it?
Namaste.

The personality of Lord Brahma is atrocious. He is seen as being egotistical, a schemer and an overall troublemaker and liar.

He gave a boon to the demon called Tarakasur, making him all powerful and unstoppable, except by a small infant son born of Shiva....and of course, after the death of Shiva's wife, Sati, Shiva withdrew into a cave in the Himalayas and put up the "do not disturb" sign.

Tarakasur began terrorising all three worlds...for thousands of years...he killed millions, including some of the Devas...in the end, Lord Vishnu and Indra Deva had to go and beseech Lord Brahma to put an end to it.

So, Lord Brahma sent Kama Deva (Cupid) to the Himalayas to seduce Lord Shiva out of meditation to go find another wife...and of course, Lord Shiva burnt Kama Deva to ashes with His third eye, but not before Shiva's seed was spilled..and that's all it took...The seed was taken to a nearby river where it impregnated six river goddesses, who all gave birth to the one child between them called Kartikeyyan (born of the six)...who finally slew the demon Tarakasur.

Then, there was the time that Lord Brahma created a woman so beautiful, that he began lusting after her himself until all the other Gods had to intervene.

Then there was the time when he almost killed Lord Vishnu, because Lord Brahma was the creator, and yet Lord Vishnu created Brahma.....Lord Brahma sprung out of Lord Vishnu's navel...and so Brahma wasn't really the creator, Vishnu was...and this angered Lord Brahma immensely. He went on a rampage with Lord Vishnu in his sights..in the end, Lord Shiva was called to intervene, who appeared before Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu as an infinite and endless beam of light called the Jyotir Lingam...and Lord Shiva tasked Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma with finding where it began and ended... they set off in opposite directions and were gone for millennia.,.in the end, Lord Vishnu returned, saying he.couldnt find the end and prostrated before Lord Shiva, while Lord Brahma returned and started boasting that he had found the end of it.

Then there was the time when Lord Brahma used to have five heads...So did Sadashiva...and so, Lord Brahma kept comparing himself to Sadashiva... saying that "I am the most powerful God out there" and his continual boasting gave all the other Gods a headache and infuriated Lord Shiva, who sent one of his emanations, Lord Bhairava to cut off the boasting head of Lord Brahma...which Bhairava did.

After all the above, Lord Shiva cursed Lord Brahma saying that he would never be respected or worshiped by whatever he created...and humans, out of respect for Shiva and the other Gods, do not.

....and this is the whole story.

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
....and this is the whole story.
Wow! Thanks SD. Quite the 'vision' of Life! Today's video-games got nothing on this! The story lines of Ancient Egypt Cosmology, the Greek Gods, and Jehovah and his Angels also strike me as not holdng a candle to this by comparison.

Last edited by davidsun : 02-08-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
Wow! Thanks SD. Quite the 'vision' of Life! Today's video-games got nothing on this! The story lines of Ancient Egypt Cosmology, the Greek Gods, and Jehovah and his Angels also strike me as not holdnig a candle to this by comparison.
Rightly so, David and you are very welcome.

The Leela's (Divine plays) between all the Hindu Deities are totally fascinating..forget soap operas!!! This takes it to a whole new level with drama, intrigue, romance etc.. and it is also the main reason why I love being a Hindu so much.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Suspended
I visited India 2 times and from a certain perspective/peace I felt at home there. But then I also got bored and indifference toward death must not mean the state of death. It is not yet the living promised land, but it helps reaching there. ;-)
And yes - Shiva exists in the paintings and they cost (almost) nothing and are maybe more valuable than the ones of Salvador Dali. ;-)
The advice not to make an image of God is IMHO just an advice, i.e. proceed at own risk and responsibility. Although it never can really be God, but just something that helps understand according to our mental potentials.
There certainly also is an evolution in the paintings, i.e. it's crystallizing itself.
Hinduism also lacks rational/logical philosophical thought. So they say that one day "Kaliyuga" will be finished, but just like that. There's no reason why and what the time waiting is good for us.