Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-02-2019, 10:52 PM
Master

The importance of reverence

As a means to spiritual development many of us extol certain and various virtues......humility, understanding, gratitude, forgiveness, open-mindedness, etc. My question: In this age of cynicism is there a place for reverence? A cheater's hint: as I was pondering this topic I simply googled this same title I am using...….and found an article with the same title by Dietrich von Hildebrand. It seemed to articulate all of my thoughts and more.
Old 19-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
As a means to spiritual development many of us extol certain and various virtues......humility, understanding, gratitude, forgiveness, open-mindedness, etc. My question: In this age of cynicism is there a place for reverence? A cheater's hint: as I was pondering this topic I simply googled this same title I am using...….and found an article with the same title by Dietrich von Hildebrand. It seemed to articulate all of my thoughts and more.

Reverence for me is often an inspiring moment where something becomes an all encompassing experience of all those virtues you mentioned. It’s a moment of recognition and awe, respect for life and everything it encompasses as a whole. I think when I understood the interconnectedness of myself in this way, it was a natural follow on to honour all life regardless of what life is being and doing. Everything becomes feeling in this light of seeing, so its not really a word I use. I do recall it’s usage throughout my religious upbringing, but nowadays I tend to associate it more with being grounded and humble, respecting all life. When those moments arise it’s often a feeling that is grateful for being alive and gracious for everything in my life.
Old 19-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
Reverence for me is often an inspiring moment where something becomes an all encompassing experience of all those virtues you mentioned. It’s a moment of recognition and awe, respect for life and everything it encompasses as a whole. I think when I understood the interconnectedness of myself in this way, it was a natural follow on to honour all life regardless of what life is being and doing. Everything becomes feeling in this light of seeing, so its not really a word I use. I do recall it’s usage throughout my religious upbringing, but nowadays I tend to associate it more with being grounded and humble, respecting all life. When those moments arise it’s often a feeling that is grateful for being alive and gracious for everything in my life.

JustBe,

Thanks for your response for those very good observations. It is something that has sort of stayed in the shadows of the common virtues that I first think of. But it has stayed in the back of mind ever since I was intrigued with Rudolph Steiner, seemingly, a lifetime ago. But I distinctly remember him giving directions for spiritual students and imploring them to develop an attitude of reverence. In early life having a reverence for their teachers, mentors, etc. and carrying that into their maturity as a reverence for the truth. It is in that attitude that I sense it implies having great expectations prior to encountering that which will inspire.

I find that in many instances in life. When I travel I am fond of visiting cathedrals.....before I even enter them I can feel an expectation of opening the door to wonders. I have that same feeling prior to many experiences......namely musicial concerts, major league baseball games, entering a national park, anticipating a sunrise or sunset, etc. I let the events/experiences speak for themselves.....there is always a subtle difference to each experience that is worth noting and gives pause for contemplation.

I alluded in my initial posting that I fear the cynicism of modern life.....I am scared that removes some of the beauty and majic of life. We sometimes become too absorbed in critiquing experiences and employing some kind of rating to them. Almost like we are in a hurry for something bigger, grander and more spectacular.
Old 20-02-2019, 03:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
JustBe,

Thanks for your response for those very good observations. It is something that has sort of stayed in the shadows of the common virtues that I first think of. But it has stayed in the back of mind ever since I was intrigued with Rudolph Steiner, seemingly, a lifetime ago. But I distinctly remember him giving directions for spiritual students and imploring them to develop an attitude of reverence. In early life having a reverence for their teachers, mentors, etc. and carrying that into their maturity as a reverence for the truth. It is in that attitude that I sense it implies having great expectations prior to encountering that which will inspire.

I find that in many instances in life. When I travel I am fond of visiting cathedrals.....before I even enter them I can feel an expectation of opening the door to wonders. I have that same feeling prior to many experiences......namely musicial concerts, major league baseball games, entering a national park, anticipating a sunrise or sunset, etc. I let the events/experiences speak for themselves.....there is always a subtle difference to each experience that is worth noting and gives pause for contemplation.

I alluded in my initial posting that I fear the cynicism of modern life.....I am scared that removes some of the beauty and majic of life. We sometimes become too absorbed in critiquing experiences and employing some kind of rating to them. Almost like we are in a hurry for something bigger, grander and more spectacular.

Molearner

Thankyou, how you articulate your own personal connections fits in me. I am someone who allows all experiences to open me completely. The point of emptiness although very hard to reach, has through many difficult experiences and struggles, given me the ability now to be very open to experience this deeper reverence or respect in my day to day living. From grand to simple, it’s now an open creation in me. From the smallest most subtle, to the majestic and grand. It’s all connected in my respectfulness for this life and what it opens in me. So I suppose even though I may not have revered initially, I do let the experience deepen me to open fully to those connections more clear. The natural arising of those virtues, you mentione, through the letting go where it cannot shine through.

It is easy to rush past the moments of life that do not serve our connection, in the way we expect things to go or be. I see the value in all life experiences in this way I allow and immerse.

As a child I was always very fearful so reverence was very tarnished with controlling myself in the many experiences of my early life. I missed out on the wonder and curiosity to explore and immerse, simply because I was so afraid of fear and myself. The gift of releasing my containment, has given me back the connections to rebuild this natural reverence for myself and life. I know look with eyes if wonder and respect, even if the opposing force flows in. I see the value deeper in myself to always want to keep this reverence alive in me now.

I’m a late bloomer to all this, but it’s beautiful now to experience life in this way. I see how shallow my existence was previously. To reach the depths of yourself and bring alive a new way of experiencing life is pretty cool imo.. x
Old 19-09-2020, 08:11 PM
janielee

Hi Molearner,

Yes, to reverence.

All too often it is the angry mind, the critical mind, the judgemental mind that dominates today's world. Perhaps this is why it is said we are coming to a head with the tumultous times.

Reverence and honor is a heart quality.

My 2c.

JL

JL
Old 19-09-2020, 10:36 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Hi Molearner,

Yes, to reverence.

Reverence and honor is a heart quality.

My 2c.