Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Pathfinder

Love this response, very informative. Thank you
Old 18-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Unseeking Seeker,

I think it would help if we first have a concept of what exactly constitutes the spiritual path. I speak mainly from the mystic Christian viewpoint. Traditionally the accepted spiritual path has been defined as purification(purgatory), illumination, and union(theosis). Personally I prefer the addendums that Evelyn Underhill expanded the list with. If one googles _Evelyn Underhill on Mysticism_ you will find a brief but informative synopsis of her understanding.

Briefly she visualizes it this way: 1) awakening 2)purgation 3)illumination 4)the Dark night of the soul and....5)union

To answer your question: the ease or difficulty of the spiritual path is determined by which stage of the path that one is on. For instance....using Underhill's steps.....steps 1,3,5 might be viewed as easy.....whereas steps 2 and 4 are deemed difficult. Overall....IMO....(3 out of 5) the spiritual path is difficult.

In a posting of mine on a different thread I quoted some scripture......Jesus in Matthew 7:14 "But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it." In other words, it is difficult. This refers to the total path. Now look at this scripture.......Matthew 11:28-30....."Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me.....and you will find rest for your soul. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." In other words it is easy. So what gives? The key word is "yoke". To be 'yoked' means to be joined together...to be unified. It is a percursor and promise of the nature of the unitive state(stage 5 re Underhill).

To recap: the difficulty or ease of the spiritual path is contingent on the stage of the path. There are both difficult and easy stages. To successfully complete the path is akin to reaching the state of bliss.

Hello Molearner!

Taking the steps as stated by Evelyn to mean:

1 Awakening - when we self realise that enduring joy may be found in the internal eternal and not the external ephemeral with glimpses of the divine ecstasy within during prayer or meditation

2 Purgation - as inner cleansing when we contemplate and remove layer by layer the negativity within by transforming in thought, word & deed ... essentially reduction of ego or we may say, identification of our consciousness with the temporary form we occupy

3 Illumination - as union of our consciousness with Oneness awareness, leading to clarity and bliss

4 The dark night of the soul - as the plateau after the illumination

5 Union - as merging within the One light and so becoming in permanency

So, even though we may accept these as valid or otherwise, with oscillating attention between duality and singularity being the reality of our consciousness, what is interesting is steps 1, 3 & 5 have been perceived by you as easy, while 2 & 4 as hard. Is this because the easy steps are to be facilitated by God with us doing nothing except sitting back and enjoying the ride, while the hard ones are to be performed by us unaided?

Consider this orientation : If we, as a separateness are not, then there would remain no preference for a different place, state or circumstance than what we find ourselves in at any given time.

Perhaps we may say that the hard steps are those in which we attempt to exert ourselves to align our consciousness with Oneness awareness and find that we, as in a separate self are unable to accomplish anything unless we remain connected to the source, in whatever way we are able.

Step 2 of inner cleansing is in my own view very important since we are attempting to dissociate ourselves from gross vibrations, making room for the subtle divine within to be cognisable to us. It is easy since we do not struggle ... we choicelessly choose to disassociate.

Step 4 being the plateau, we have been teased and have seen as much as the Universal consciousness wished to reveal and then ... nothing. Here, childlike trust is needed since it is merely a stage of assimilation and recalibration of our consciousness. Once we are accustomed to the higher vibrations or magnetic heat within us, further unfoldings automatically happen.

The moment we seek, we are denied. So seek but do so as an unseeking seeker* (*the similarity with my handle is purely coincidental! LOL)

The moment we choose we falter. So choose in a choiceless manner. Zestful, yet detached.

It’s is all about the orientation. If we be simple & childlike, curious yet humble, fearless & desireless, love enabled, prioritising the divine connect over any other diversion, then there remains no chasm and no path left at all. Bliss in permanency.

Old 18-02-2019, 04:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
The moment we seek, we are denied. So seek but do so as an unseeking seeker* (*the similarity with my handle is purely coincidental! LOL)

The moment we choose we falter. So choose in a choiceless manner. Zestful, yet detached.

It’s is all about the orientation. If we be simple & childlike, curious yet humble, fearless & desireless, love enabled, prioritising the divine connect over any other diversion, then there remains no chasm and no path left at all. Bliss in permanency.

Unseeking Seeker,

Thanks for your response.....I particularly appreciated the above observations that you made. Yes seeking(I am assuming you mean a specific thing, outcome, revelation,etc.) automatically means that one is limited by his/her preconceived notions. This can lead one to "overlook an orchid while searching for a rose".......:) And, yes, the orientatiion is of great importance. Witness my thread on Christianity: 'Unless ye become like little children'.

Now because I cited Evelyn Underhill I will provide this quote of her in her own words:

"Broadly speaking I understand mysticism to be the innate tendency of the human spirit towards complete harmony with the transcendental order, whatever be the theological formula under which that order is understood. This tendency, in great mystics, gradually captures the whole field of consciousness, it dominate their life and, in the experience called 'mystic union', attains it end.....I believe this process to represent the true line of development of the highest form of human consciousness."

Sorry for the length but in the desire for accuracy I wanted to avoid my own summary.....:)

Additionally from that same site a few words on awakening: That first step of the path(awakening) is taken to mean the awakening to the existence of a divine order or reality.......usually it is an experience that is distinctly rememberable and might be considered as a form of conversion.
Old 18-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Color

What would make the Path difficult anyway?
Thoughts.
Thoughts made to distract us...so what would be a solution?
Thought Control.
Works for me for over a decade!!

Life is really very simple. Find the problem...eliminate it!!!!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 18-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Life is really very simple. Find the problem...eliminate it!!!!

And the spiritual path is simple. Be Here Now.

There may be times when treading the path is easy and everything flows. And there may be times when we struggle and we do not know what to do next. But it all comes down to Be Here Now.

Peace.
Old 18-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
And the spiritual path is simple. Be Here Now.

There may be times when treading the path is easy and everything flows.
And there may be times when we struggle and we do not know what to do next. But it all comes down to Be Here Now.

Peace.
Thank you for the reminder....I have been in the 'Now' sometimes and bazinga....I was taken into an altered state.....wow. and

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru