Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 06-03-2023, 01:57 PM
Master
Why do you love horror films?

Are you fascinated with horror films? Please help me understand why. I remember The Exorcist in 1973 and then Carrie in 1976 and that whole trend beginning around then - but these are tame now compared to now. Even the blood donor bank here is using using the popularity of horror films to get people to donate.

My interest in horror films stopped at a young age when I saw my first old newsreel of WW2 concentration camps. The reality of suffering did it for me.

I mean, I don't think most of us are violent psychopaths, so why is this stuff so prevalent today? I'm just curious what you all think.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:30 PM
Master

A Seth explanation:

"Children often scare themselves. A variety of reasons exist for such behavior. People often choose to watch horror films for the same reason. Usually the body and mind are bored, and actually seek out dramatic stress. Under usual conditions the body is restored — flushed out, so to speak — through the release of hormones that have been withheld, often through repressive habits."
—NotP Chapter 10: Session 793, February 14, 1977
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:42 PM
Master

The same therapeutic reason and effect apply to dreams and daydreams of a frightening nature.

"The body will seek its release, and so will the mind. Dreams, or even daydreams of a frightening nature, can fulfill that purpose. The mind’s creative play often serves up symbolic events that result in therapeutic physical reactions, and also function as postdream suggestions that offer hints as to remedial action."
—NotP Chapter 10: Session 793, February 14, 1977

The resulting "post-dream suggestions", analogous to "post-hypnotic suggestions", are a therapeutic remedy.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:14 PM
Master
Thank you inavalan. Sometimes I like a terrifying movie but not horror. Horror is gorey. My question speaks more to the latter.
Quote:
“Terror is the feeling of dread and apprehension at the possibility of something frightening, while horror is the shock and repulsion of seeing the frightening thing. Terror is the sounds of unknown creatures scratching at the door; horror is seeing your roommate eaten alive by giant rats. Terror is the feeling a stranger may be hiding behind the door; horror is the squirt of blood as the stranger’s knife sinks in." Lincoln Michael (article url)
Old 06-03-2023, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Usually the body and mind are bored, and actually seek out dramatic stress. Under usual conditions the body is restored —
flushed out, so to speak — through the release of hormones that have been withheld, often through repressive habits."
So it would be safe to say a person, not bored, that is not withholding hormones thru repression
would not gravitate to horror films, nor really understand the allure?
But, an adolescent would be just the target?

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 06-03-2023, 09:22 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
So it would be safe to say a person, not bored, that is not withholding hormones thru repression
would not gravitate to horror films, nor really understand the allure?
But, an adolescent would be just the target?
I believe, Seth's explanation is about the whole-self, and from the perspective of "you create your own reality".
Old 06-03-2023, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I believe, Seth's explanation is about the whole-self, and from the perspective of "you create your own reality".
Well, I go along with that! I know I do!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 06-03-2023, 10:43 PM
Ascender
We are receptive to horror because our primal brains are evolved to be attuned to danger. We know to fear the dark because that's where the predators lurk, and there may be consequences for going where we shouldn't.

Since we're a social species, we learn through stories. They let us simulate danger, and prepare for it without directly experiencing it. No doubt fairy tales used to serve that purpose for children.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexi-Girl
We are receptive to horror because our primal brains are evolved to be attuned to danger. We know to fear the dark because that's where the predators lurk, and there may be consequences for going where we shouldn't.

Since we're a social species, we learn through stories. They let us simulate danger, and prepare for it without directly experiencing it. No doubt fairy tales used to serve that purpose for children.

That's what Bruno Bettleheim said (Uses of Enchantment) but according to Wikipedia he himself abused children. (Don't know who to trust anymore.)
Old 07-03-2023, 10:40 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
That's what Bruno Bettleheim said (Uses of Enchantment) but according to Wikipedia he himself abused children. (Don't know who to trust anymore.)
I am not familiar with his work. I just know what I have learned in evolutionary psychology. Sorry about your loss of trust.