Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM
alhambra

Any help very welcome

I am trying to learn about Budhism by reading books and watching Dalai Lamas podcast,s which I find very helpfull. It would be even better if I can ask questions and get more advice from people who are more advanced than me. I would love for someone to help please with this problem I have which bothers me, ' how can I be happy when there is so much misery in the world ' I should be gratefull for what I have, a home with all the comforts I need, a lovely Family and Friends, so much to make my life fairly comfortable, BUT, sometimes I feel guilty for being happy. I know I cant solve the worlds problems and I do try and help people if I can but it still invades my thoughts. Do I have to change the way I think ? Help please.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Master
Lightbulb

Hello alhambra,

I think that no matter what religion we are into or studying or belong to, many of us have the same thoughts, we feel we need to do something, but don't know what.

I've been reading a book called Emptiness Dancing by Adyashanti, and doing a book study with a small group of people -- this guy is good, and I've listened to some of his Youtube videos. It could help -- who knows.

I suffer from the same wonderings, but listening to him and studying other similar authors, etc., really helps me with it.

I think most leading authors on the topic of Buddhism and similar would say the same type of thing: It's the fact that you're thinking, LoL.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
alhambra

Thanks for your reply, I will have a look at the book you mentioned. I need to work on ' training the mind ' but its been doing its own thing for such a long time i,m going to find it hard, lol.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Master
I'm going to try to put my experience, related to what you've asked about, into a nutshell. Bear in mind that it's just one person's view.

As you become more inwardly peaceful, more enlightened, it helps and blesses other people. Given time on your path, you'll find that inner joy and compassion simply well up inside of you. Then you're automatically sharing this with others around you whether you know them or not, and whether you think about it or not.

At the same time, you can (if you feel drawn to do so) be involved in positive projects or efforts within your community. I've been doing this for a long time now. In my case, it has had to do with such things as adult education, environmental action, and providing options for the less privileged in the community and region around me. But I figured out by my early 20s, if not before, that I could not single-handedly solve humanity's problems.

Meditation is a good foundational practice. There are many "therapeutic" processes available nowadays that can help to resolve specific personal issues. And what helps you helps those around you.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:41 PM
alhambra

Thank you Tanemon, good advice that I can think about and try and learn something from.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Administrator
Tanemon has made a very good point, and if I may add, compassion is a prerequisite for spiritual growth, that is the first lesson you learn on any path of self understanding,

Without it spiritual knowledge becomes dangerous for everyone
Old 03-03-2014, 01:14 AM
Master
Perhaps you are living in their life , living in multiple existence that cause confusion to you ...you are living a life in human culture which use knowledge as a guide and from knowledge , you knows your condition and compare it to others condition ......and with such comparison you feel glad / happy of yours but feel sad / sorry for others ........this is common human culture .

But in my current understanding of Buddhism......you are always alone in your journey of your choice , with your will in your world same as all others living or non-living ........nothing that you could help others or hurt others because each of being are alone ......

Buddhism is realization on your own emotion of desire , love , care , greed , ego , love , hate ...is realization on your emotion on your "happiness" , on your sadness , on your desire to help ..........

In Buddhism all emotion is same .........awaken to Buddhism you will realized that there is nothing you could "help" or "hurt" others except yourself because you are always alone ........
Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 AM
Master
That is a very good and helpful answer, CSEe.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhambra
I am trying to learn about Budhism by reading books and watching Dalai Lamas podcast,s which I find very helpfull. It would be even better if I can ask questions and get more advice from people who are more advanced than me. I would love for someone to help please with this problem I have which bothers me, ' how can I be happy when there is so much misery in the world ' I should be gratefull for what I have, a home with all the comforts I need, a lovely Family and Friends, so much to make my life fairly comfortable, BUT, sometimes I feel guilty for being happy. I know I cant solve the worlds problems and I do try and help people if I can but it still invades my thoughts. Do I have to change the way I think ? Help please.
What makes you think that the people you think need help are not just as happy?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 AM
alhambra

CSEe and Capacity, thank you both, I have lots to learn. I did answer you both in more depth but it seems to have disappeared.
CSEe I dont understand ' I am always alone '
Capacity common sense tells me I will never know if people are happy or not but my heart tells me a child who looks like a skeleton, screaming and living in filth cannot be happy, a child being raped and tourtured cannot be happy either, the list goes on and on -----
We cant help what we feel, or can we ? I dont want to be a piece of stone but I am sensitive and can feel others pain.
Take care both of you.♡♥