Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Newbie ;)

Question A new vegan

A few weeks ago, I decided to stop eating meat. I feel as if It is something that wont be a loss to me and will be better for my health. At the start of this week I watched a very touching video on what really goes on at these dairy farms and the conditions of these animals. It broke my heart. I am determined to take dairy out of my diet. Now I feel as if our bodies are not meant for it and it is unnecessary to me. But this has become hard for me because my body is so used to eating it. and yogurt has always been my go to snack.

Does anyone have any tips on how to beat these cravings??
Any good snack ideas?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Master
My tip is, take it easy, see how you body reacts. The body might want the old stuff back, and might take a wile to follow you ideas.
Be gentles, don't blame.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Knower
Eat vegan yoghurt? Dont know where you are based but here in UK we have some beautiful vegan yoghurt, they don't last long in my house! But yeh as Rah nam says, take it easy to start with, try not get too hung up on succeeding, just see what fits into your lifestyle...and everytime you get a craving just think of the poor animals!

"Do not swim, float." - Osho
Old 07-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator
There is vegan ice cream, vegan yogurt, vegan cheese, vegan chocolate, etc.
If there is a good health food store near you, go and take a look and see what interesting things you can find.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Yaoughta

As you know, there are many reasons why someone chooses to become Vegan or Vegetarian. You saw a video that disturbed you and you decided to stop eating meat and then decided to also stop eating dairy.

While there are certain dairy practices and or farms that cause the animal to suffer, there are also farms that love their animals and treat them humanely or as humanely as possible. I suggest if you love yogurt, try looking for a local farm that you can actually visit, or as earlier suggested, try a vegan or vegetarian brand.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoughta
As you know, there are many reasons why someone chooses to become Vegan or Vegetarian. You saw a video that disturbed you and you decided to stop eating meat and then decided to also stop eating dairy.

While there are certain dairy practices and or farms that cause the animal to suffer, there are also farms that love their animals and treat them humanely or as humanely as possible. I suggest if you love yogurt, try looking for a local farm that you can actually visit, or as earlier suggested, try a vegan or vegetarian brand.

Not to mention "Now I feel as if our bodies are not meant for it and it is unnecessary to me."
A very valid reason to stop consuming these products. My body benefited SO much from ridding these things from it.
Also it's hard almost impossible to determine the truth behind "humane" unless you watch them 24/7 365 you have to
take the word of someone who has something to sell.

Of course this decision is up to the poster them self just my two cents.

And for the cravings they really do go away after awhile (about a month for me). Just eat vegan snacks (rather they're
versions of your favorite non vegan foods or not.) you'll get used to them and won't even look back, they'll be part of your life.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 AM
Yaoughta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely
Not to mention "Now I feel as if our bodies are not meant for it and it is unnecessary to me."
A very valid reason to stop consuming these products. My body benefited SO much from ridding these things from it.
Also it's hard almost impossible to determine the truth behind "humane" unless you watch them 24/7 365 you have to
take the word of someone who has something to sell.

Of course this decision is up to the poster them self just my two cents.

And for the cravings they really do go away after awhile (about a month for me). Just eat vegan snacks (rather they're
versions of your favorite non vegan foods or not.) you'll get used to them and won't even look back, they'll be part of your life.

Good luck!

I don't disagree with that and personally, I'm not a big fan of dairy myself, but there is a big difference between eating an animal and eating an animal byproduct, so it all comes down to personal choice. I know most Vegans don't eat honey for example because they consider it an animal byproduct, but some will.
Old 13-03-2014, 10:39 PM
pgrundy

Most health food stores and some big supermarkets carry soy yogurt or coconut milk yogurt. I like the coconut milk better, and if you can find plain or vanilla, you can stir in fresh or frozen fruit and it's actually way healthier for you than most of the fruit yogurts, which tend to have LOTS of sugar.

I will say though that when I stopped eating meat in and dairy it took about three or four days before my body adjusted. I felt hungry all the time for those days, and I was still learning how to change my cooking and grocery shopping. Personally I think it's withdrawal--from sugar, chemicals, refined stuff.

After that though I started to feel great, like beyond great.

Snacking on nuts and avocados helped to steady my blood sugar through those first days.

Now it's no longer a problem. Good luck!
Old 13-03-2014, 10:42 PM
pgrundy

BTW I think it's commendable that you are trying in response to real cruelty built into our food system.

Some people still lay into me, which I find weird. But lots of others are making the same change because in the US, corporate farming is just disgusting and wrong.