Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 PM
anhad

In the Yoga tradition there are certain mantras (sound syllables) and yantras (forms to meditate on) which belong together. The form which belongs to the mantra Om is said to be Sri Yantra, and vice versa.

Is this relationship between form and sound a purely subjective experience - one that certain people claim to have seen within? Or can it be measured?

Dr. Hans Jenny spent his life investigating the connection between sounds and forms. He was one of the world's foremost researchers in the field and the founder of the science of Cymatics. In his Wave Phenomena Research Institute in Switzerland, around 1970, he constructed what is called a tonoscope - an apparatus which converts sounds into forms. He wrote several books on Cymatics and documented through films and photos the influence of sounds on various materials.

According to sources, a person who could pronounce the mantra "Om" correctly, was asked to sing it into the tonoscope's microphone. At first a circle was generated on the membrane of the tonoscope, then various triangles formed themselves inside the circle, and when the "m" faded out, Sri Yantra was completed. Another mantra created concentric circles.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM
anhad

Para Nada
The transcendent sound, which has the highest frequency, is called Para Nada. Para means highest or farthest, and in this connection: transcendent. Para Nada is beyond the reach of the sense organs. It is heard in other dimensions, on other levels of consciousness. The Nada Yogis reveal that Para or transcendent sound has the highest frequency. Para's intense vibration makes it inaudible. Various texts mention that the Para sound has no vibrations. It is a sound without movement or frequency – a still sound. We cannot grasp a sound which has no vibration. When a sound reaches its maximum height, then it reaches stillness – and that is Para Nada. It is completely uniform. A state of consciousness corresponds with this stillness. The Nada Yogi reaches this state by becoming one with Para Nada.

In the Upanishads, the mantra OM is said to be the manifestation of Para. But not the audible OM, which we chant. That is not Para because it is the object of our hearing, our understanding and our logic. Therefore it cannot be called transcendent. Para is at the same time silent and eternal. It has form and its nature is Jyoti (light). It is different to the sounds one usually understands or hears.

The Upanishads state clearly about the Para Sound: " This is OM, this sound is OM."
Old 07-12-2012, 08:15 PM
anhad

Pashyanti

The second level of sound has fewer vibrations and is coarser than Para. It is called Pashyanti.

Pashyanti in Sanskrit means: "that which can be seen or visualised". The old scripts maintain that sound can also be seen. How can one see sound? Have you ever heard music in a dream? This particular dimension of sound that occurs in dreams is called Pashyanti. It can be called a mental sound. It is neither conscious nor half conscious. It is a subconscious sound which is linked to the characteristic of your mind and not to your vocal organs; tongue, throat or mouth. It is not heard with the physical ear, but with the inner ear.When the word or the sound is heard in a sphere where one is not conscious of the outer surroundings, it is called Pashyanti. When every outer sound has disappeared and you hear a completety new sound, unlike the ordinary sounds, then it is Pashyanti Nada.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 PM
anhad

Madhyama
A sound, which has fewer vibrations than Para and Pashyanti, but which is finer than Vaikhari, is called Madhyama.

Madhyama is a sound that can hardly be heard. Ordinarily, when two objects hit each other they produce a coarse sound; like when we clap. But in the case of Madhyama no two things physically hit each other to produce an audible sound. Madhyana produces vibrations such as when one whispers. It is an intermediate sound. The word Madhyama means "in between" or "in the middle". So this middle sound can be called whispering or is like the sound of whispering.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 PM
anhad

Vaikhari
The fourth and coarsest plane of Nada is Vaikhari. The Vaikhari sounds are audible and can be physically produced. Vaikhari is the spoken sound. It is produced for example by rubbing or hitting two things against each other. Its vibrations are limited to a certain range.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
anhad

Para has the quality of soul, Pashyanti has a mental quality. Madhyama has the finer quality of the vocal organs, and Vaikhari has the coarse quality of the same physical organs.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Color

Hi, I just got a message regarding this thread....this needs to be 'brought up'!

It should be of interest to many here! Funny for me I mention 39 years of listening to the Word,
the Sound Current, Sat Nam, the Tao, AUM...so many names...now
it's been 46-7 yrs ..if I count the very first time I became aware of It.

Om is a human way to imitate It. Imagine hundreds of Buddhists making a continuous sound chanting Om...ringing brass bells and
singing bowls-beautiful ...but still only an imitation.

We have a need to connect with It;
this all pervasive vibration or sound that is all around us like air...and never ends.
Everywhere we go, It's there.
Concentrate on It and It leads to more than just a little sound.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 10-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Master

From the Guru Granth Sahib:

You, O Lord, O Primal Being, are the Creator, beyond limits; Your limits cannot be found. You are pervading and permeating each and every heart everywhere. You are in all of us. Within the heart is the Transcendent Supreme Lord, whose limits cannot be found. He has no form or shape; He is unseen and unknown. Only Gurmukh sees the unseen Lord. He remains in continual ecstasy day and night. He is submerged in the Naam.

Peace
Old 11-08-2019, 02:04 AM
Master
I hear the "ringing sound" in my ears often and I have just put it down to "tinnitus".
Old 11-08-2019, 03:51 AM
Yes, tinnitus is different...from my understanding.
I wish I was more knowledgeable about it.
No one I know with it is happy about it, I know that much.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Closed Thread