Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 09-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Master
What I find perplexing is that Religions or belief systems have their own variations & explanations on a subject.

Often spiritually we are accepted as either identifying with a specific God, form of worship, religious text etc or we reject it as it doesn't mean anything to us.

Ego however seems to create a resounding "there is no way you don't have one" choir on the forum.

They specifically call on anything - religious or clinical to prove it's existence regardless of whether or not a person relates.

Psychology is regularly debated as actual science - as is religion so if a technique works for me or a loved one in the future fantastic but I feel the same about homeopathy.

For: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ience-argument

Against: https://link.springer.com/article/10...124-015-9339-x

I refuse to relate - I don't pay any attention to the idea of it.

Ego a go go

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Master

I have read of rare cases of people without an ego. They have been either gurus or those in deep and continual meditation. It is not a practical state because it becomes necessary for someone to be their caretaker. Deprived of the normal sense world they no longer experience hunger, hot/cold, etc. and someone has to care for their physical needs. It can be a long lasting state but temporary out of necessity......otherwise death.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Lorelyen

Someone interacting with their environment is ultimately a product of perceiving initiated by the senses then referring to experiences going back to the moment they were born and using various bits of the frontal lobe that in turn calls on other bits to strategise if necessary. The brain is capable of devising alternatives and anticipating outcomes though it doesn't always do the latter too well. Depends on experience.

That's "mind". You aren't much without your mind and I'd guess it's pretty unique. If the person wants to deny that's mind and 'my self' fine. Who therefore are they?
Otherwise call it what you like. Ego, me mei, mihi, me.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Someone interacting with their environment is ultimately a product of perceiving initiated by the senses then referring to experiences going back to the moment they were born and using various bits of the frontal lobe that in turn calls on other bits to strategise if necessary. The brain is capable of devising alternatives and anticipating outcomes though it doesn't always do the latter too well. Depends on experience.

That's "mind". You aren't much without your mind and I'd guess it's pretty unique. If the person wants to deny that's mind and 'my self' fine. Who therefore are they?
Otherwise call it what you like. Ego, me mei, mihi, me.

I call it Chud.

It is a small Minotaur that tells me secrets.

I really couldn't care less about anyone insisting anything - I simply am.

Anyone can be.

"I am your creation.

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 10-03-2018, 02:49 AM
Master

For anyone interested in the possibility of no ego.......this is a very interesting read and a first person account.....

https://realization.org/p/bernadette...interview.html
Old 10-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Master
Ego death is being described as a "complete loss of subjective self-identity",

I never identify as anything until someone asks me which box I tick, otherwise I merely exist.

For all the fantastical claims on this site its fascinating that this specific topic still has those who categorically say that something is fact for all.

The phrase " time flies when your having fun" is a description of that headspace whereby a person is at peace with themselves so deeply that the world has to remind them of ... the concept of time.

In your own little world or lost in thought can be similar providing that the thoughts in a persons head are ideas & not worries.

That's a state for me consistently.

Peeps : "You have ego if you self identify"

Raziel : "who constantly insists on that? if this body is not referred to specifically, offence or protest arises speaking on certain subjects"

Peeps: "You are wrong"

Raziel : "who is this you?"

"I am your creation.

- Legacy Of Kain

Last edited by Raziel : 10-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel
Ego death is being described as a "complete loss of subjective self-identity",

I never identity as anything until someone asks me which box I tick, otherwise I merely exist.

Same here like that. It gives my Norton a chance to do a full systems scan to check I haven't been compromised.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:19 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
I never identify as anything until someone asks me which box I tick, otherwise I merely exist..
I identify with being father, grandfather, son, brother, uncle, colleague..... because that allows me to interact with people within a context. People identify me as being nice guy, as the certificates and two bottles of single malt Scotch will testify to. I also identify as the crazy old guy that plays in the puddles with the kids so they don't get their ears bent from their parents.

They're all masks I use at any particular time and through them I don't just exist, I enjoy it. I am all these things and more.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
They're all masks I use at any particular time and through them I don't just exist, I enjoy it. I am all these things and more.

Looking after the young is done by species that don't use terms or labels so they wouldn't know even to consider them as masks - are they masks then?

Mask is a specific ideological term that is only partially representative of the things described - it is enough but not the whole to me.
A fish doesn't swim it lives in a pure unfiltered way - the idea of swimming is a human construct - a description to differentiate it from walking etc ...

The fish exists in a purely natural state - that is the existing that I am personally describing for myself.

If asked what I am doing, why I am doing it the response "existing or living as is" is not enough for curious humans.

"I am your creation.

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 11-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Mask is a specific ideological term that is only partially representative of the things described - it is enough but not the whole to me..
Exactly. It is enough, at that time for the people around me.