Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 21-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
physical life does not require consciousness or even a brain. Most of life is sustained by biochemical systems. Plants and filter feeders don't even require a nervous system. The nervous (and brain in animals) allows a lifeform to go searching for food instead of having to wait until it comes along.

Ah yes, the ego and conditioning assert their control again. Consciousness allows (or even encourages this). This is very typical of the human way of living.

For many people consciousness plays only a minor role in daily life. Once they are old enough to work out a routine, they stick to it. They go along with whatever they emotions, intellect, and ego suggest is called for. Consciousness mostly just responds when something novel happens.

Look at the thread this split from (God putting up walls). How many responded to that actual topic and how many went off on their own personal issues (unrelated to the topic)?

It doesn't have to be that way. Conscious living is possible, it's just not popular.

Consciousness is not overrated, just little used.

Nice post.
Old 21-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Ah yes, the ego and conditioning assert their control again. Consciousness allows (or even encourages this). This is very typical of the human way of living.

For many people consciousness plays only a minor role in daily life. Once they are old enough to work out a routine, they stick to it. They go along with whatever they emotions, intellect, and ego suggest is called for. Consciousness mostly just responds when something novel happens.

Look at the thread this split from (God putting up walls). How many responded to that actual topic and how many went off on their own personal issues (unrelated to the topic)?

It doesn't have to be that way. Conscious living is possible, it's just not popular.

Consciousness is not overrated, just little used.

wstein,

Thanks for your wise response. This is precisely so that ego and conditioning assert their control. And also that consciousness is little used. In spiritual forums it is very popular to advocate the raising of consciousness as a solution to the woes of mankind and this is true. But, of course, this is much easier said than done. First, it must be done on the individual level, one individual at a time. It cannot be done collectively by mandate or law, etc. Secondly, to happen it demands dedication and discipline.....no easy task. A huge segment of our populations struggle with obesity and health issues. The motivation to alter these life-threatening issues is much stronger and certainly much more obvious than the need for raising the consciousness level of our societies. But the discipline to achieve these health goals is sorely lacking. How much more difficult are the means for raising consciousness ?

As I have pointed out elsewhere if in a forum such as this....in which the participants are cognizant of the need for raising consciousness.....can exhibit so much negativity and are so much under the control of their egos...what is the hope for the larger population for transformation ?

Sadly, the diminishing influence of religion offers less hope for addressing this dilemma. In lieu of that, most people next look to government to provide answers. Obviously, this is an impossibility. Transformation cannot be mandated or legislated. It is a collective problem but it demands a personal solution. It is a responsibility that we have personally and the solution can only come from within ourselves on the personal level.
Old 22-07-2014, 06:30 PM
OftheSun

I have noticed on forums (not only this one) and in discussions the ego agenda as opposed to consciousness.

Person A asks question.

Person B responds.

Person A doesn't hear what they wanted to hear so tries to project their experience and feeling on the other person.

I've been reading about consciousness and how for a fully conscious person it is impossible to have an argument. When we argue, it's ego to ego, and we can have our own ego argue with itself as well!

When we are attached to something being right meaning that something else must be "wrong", then everything becomes an argument.

When I wake up and put things in boxes, and they don't stay there I decide it's wrong that they are not in their box...even IF it might be advanticious for that thing or person to NOT be in the box at that moment. I'd rather be "right" than accept what might be an even more appealing reality.

Consciousness listens to the answer and is not threatened by it, because it doesn't perceive everything to HAVE to be right or wrong. It doesn't need the boxes, it may use them as a tool when it's expedient, but when it is not, they let go of the boxes, or their preconceived idea, etc.

On a spiritual forum I feel my hackles go up and many things, and this is an excellent exercise for me. I am here, safe at home. I can let things roll over me without any pressure to respond to anything but my own thoughts and feelings.

I've come to my understanding of how the Universe works as the result of a lot of thought, experience and sometimes discomfort, and I have that box all wrapped up with a pretty bow, and I come here and wow! Things start bursting out of boxes all over the place!

I don't have to react. I can think, observe, let things slide by, consider, enjoy, etc all these things with my consciousness because none of it acutally threatens me or reality at all.

This place is opening me up wide, and giving me a lot of practice in observing my ego, attachments, and unconscious responses.
Old 23-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Master
Consciousness must go way beyond the physical human aspect of being conscious......
With this thought in mind, I feel that there's simply not enough known about consciousness to overrate it.
This is assuming that in order to overrate a thing, everything about that thing must be known.

Working my way up to two cents worth there. lol ;)