Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 25-05-2014, 02:25 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_andrew700
Hello everyone help! In what can i believe? I saw a documentary on History Channel about the bible, and it said that the bible has been modified thousand of time, so how can you trust on the bible now? What about the gnostic gospels and so on??
am afraid no one can help you with that
you see religion comes from your own belief not from others
but informations are easily obtained in our time
research , learning , examination and inspection above all are your friends
before you get into anything make sure you studied it deeply
least you end up with the same doubts

as for the bible being edited that's old and very known issue
you can easily tell it was heavily edited by just reading it
Old 25-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Hello everyone help! In what can i believe? I saw a documentary on History Channel about the bible, and it said that the bible has been modified thousand of time, so how can you trust on the bible now? What about the gnostic gospels and so on??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Leave Me
am afraid no one can help you with that
you see religion comes from your own belief not from others
but informations are easily obtained in our time
research , learning , examination and inspection above all are your friends
before you get into anything make sure you studied it deeply
least you end up with the same doubts

as for the bible being edited that's old and very known issue
you can easily tell it was heavily edited by just reading it

Right, so, concerning your last sentence, it is a subjective and personal opinion, which is awry.
Assault the Word of God as you will, it is nothing new. Nevertheless, it prevails.

The Anvil is not worn by the hammers, which are cast aside, broken.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are the most prominent of a number of archaeological finds, which validate the accuracy of our present Biblical versions.

http://biblehub.com/

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 26-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Experiencer
am not assaulting anything my friend i was merely stating facts
it's very known that the bible been subject of edition throughout the years
am sorry to hear if you consider that an Assault
Old 26-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Master
Hello J_andrew700.
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, all literature is written by the imperfect human mind.
Literature is a string of words to convey one's perception on things. The reader, in turn, uses their own perception on what they just read.
Each reader perceives the literature in there own way. Literature, regardless if it is the bible, law, physics, or a children's book, will have its unique meaning for each reader.

I could not care less if the bible was re-written a hundred times. Most probably every book in the bible was orally passed along from person to person before someone decided to write the story down.
How the piece of literature came about is not important. To me, what matters, is how do I perceive what I read.
Every bit of information I believe to be true was determined by either my body-mind or by my soul-mind.
My body-mind usually sorts out what is fact or fiction. My soul-mind sorts out what is truth from fantasy.
Naturally, as I mature, so does my discernment.

When it comes to literature about spiritual matters, my soul-mind sorts out what is the truth.
If I read something that is true, my heart says 'yes'. It says 'yes' even when my body-mind (ego) refutes it.
I have come to believe that the truth has always been in me. My soul is the reference point of what is True. Or how else do I recognize Truth when I read/hear it.

I also find that my spiritual faith determines how much truth I can handle.
The more I exercise my faith, the more truth is revealed. As soon as I no longer exercise my faith, my truth and degree of unconditional love starts to waste away.
One sure way to lose faith is to not exercise it, or to put my faith only on what I have read (knowledge) is careless (in my opinion).
I believe one should practice what truths they have discerned. If they hold up, and provide spiritual (not ego) nourishment then further discernment of what is Truth becomes easier.
So, if you find your faith is dwindling, go out into the world and practice your faith of unconditional love. I am sure your spirit will soon soar.

I believe that once your faith is strong and healthy, you will no longer be concerned about what spiritual literature is worth reading, they all have some element of truth.
Finding a truth in a book is like finding a diamond in the rough. Some books only contain one diamond, while others may contain several diamonds per page.
Even if I have to read a whole book to discover one diamond, that book was worth reading.
Old 28-05-2014, 10:57 AM
LadyTerra

Greetings Everyone:

Wow--the advice that has been offered here is so wonderful and inspiring that I can barely think of what else to add...

To J_andrew700...just listen to your instincts and let your heart be your guide.

Remember...Christianity is often referred to as the Judeo-Christian Religion--because the Parent Religion is Judaism.

It might help you to remember that Jewish Rabbi's employ the power of telling a story--which contains a moral imperative--in order to teach the lessons they are attempting to impart to their students. This story is called a parable.

Parables were never meant to be taken as literal fact--but (instead) were meant to be opened and peered into (like a precious gift--the Gift of Wisdom).

I have read the Bible (cover to cover) twice and it is a well-spring of wisdom that can be beneficially incorporated into everyone's life. However--the first step to truly embracing that knowledge and wisdom is to set aside what others may say (whether it be for--or against--the Bible)--then read it for yourself (the way that it was written--from beginning to end) and draw your own conclusions.

When you are done with the Bible...you might want to try reading the Apocrypha and the Pseudepigrapha--then study the history of what transpired at the Counsel of Nicea--which is where the powers that were...decided which scrolls would be included and which would be deleted from Church doctrine. Some scrolls where included in the Apocrypha (which means "of unknown origin") and others in the Pseudepigrapha (which means "of questionable/false origin").

I am a legally ordained Pagan Priestess...but that does not change the fact that Jesus is one of my (personal) heroes.

Unfortunately...after reading the Book for myself...I have to agree with Norseman...very few mainstream "Christian" Religions solely follow the teachings of Christ. Many of the modern day liturgies I have run across (lately) are based mainly upon the doctrine of Paul and it may help you to keep in mind that Paul of Tarsus never met Jesus of Nazareth in the flesh. Paul's writings were based upon his interpretation of the vision he received on the road to Damascus.

Peace and Love on your path to doing your own research and drawing your own conclusions...

Blessed be...

Ever your friend,

LadyTerra
Old 28-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra

..study the history of what transpired at the Counsel of Nicea--which is where the powers that were...decided which scrolls would be included and which would be deleted from Church doctrine.

...Many of the modern day liturgies I have run across (lately) are based mainly upon the doctrine of Paul and it may help you to keep in mind that Paul of Tarsus never met Jesus of Nazareth in the flesh.

The Counsel of Nicea was formed so that all the bishops would agree with the Emperor, which in turn gave the church absolute authority over how people were "allowed" to understand the Gospels. The Gospels that the bishops did not like/understand were ordered to be destroyed (and there were many). And the bishops that did not agree or go along with the program were banished from the council. A political power move at its best.

The issue with Paul, besides Jesus had nothing to do with Paul, was that James and Peter did not like Paul. James refused to meet with him because James did not agree with Paul's teachings. And Peter did meet with Paul one time, but said that Paul's teachings would confuse people.

People need to be very careful when reading the Gospels cannonized by the Emperor Constantine, It is very important to understand the history behind them.

mj
Old 28-05-2014, 03:03 PM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by danosongs
I like Buddhism because it is very logical and grounded in open mindedness. The translated scriptures are very clear and make sense.

Buddha welcomed debate, criticism and testing of his teachings. So as a modern person with reasonable thinking, it really works for me.

I practice the teachings daily and have found my life and thinking to be more peaceful.

I think that Buddhism is a path is outlined based on an almost scientific view of spiritual principles.

There are many teachings in Christianity that match up to Buddhism: love, give, act ethically.

I go to Christian church with my family out of social convention and because I believe in God.

I don't take the bible and Jesus at face value either. Most everything in it is based on previous pagan myths rewritten for a state religion.

But I accept that and I think there are allot of helpful aspects of Christianity.

"Question everything and (when you are certain that you have found all the answers)...ask again!" His Holiness The Dalai Lama

I love this guy! He is another one of my (personal) heroes.
Old 28-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Experiencer

I am not a Christian, but I care what Jesus taught, and respect everything he was. I agree that Christianity went off the tracks by focusing on the Apostle Paul. I bought a Bible that has the actual words of Jesus printed in red, to highlight his teachings. He said very little, but every word is meaningful.
Old 28-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Master

I'm not a Christian but find inspiration in the Apostle Paul's writing as well as Jesus'. It's popular to be against Christianity these days, but I find it to be very positive for the most part. It's no less spiritual than any other religion, including mine.
Old 29-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Experiencer

Christians can be very spiritual people. They can either be mean and hateful, or have beautiful spirits, just like everyone else. Religion,or the lack, doesn't make us who we are. Any teaching can be twisted by those with an "agenda". I don't happen to think that the teachings of Paul were divinely inspired, but they should definitely be studied for any wisdom they offer.