Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 23-01-2016, 04:31 AM
Newbie ;)

connection between sleep deprivation and increased pyschic occurences

i have had horrible insomnia for the past 5 years, (I believe caused by parasites/ digestive issues) and I find that when I am at my most tired I have an increase in little premonitory thoughts...nothing major, just like thinking something random, and very shortly after having that exact thing brought up in some way..thing that most people could possibly brush off as coincidence, but Ive had these since I was small, and you just know thats its just too random and the related incident too precise/specific for it to be a "coincidence"- synchronicity, yes. I had read something briefly somewhere- maybe Seth or Bashar, I honestly can't remember where about the reason why dreams are so important, and you need REM sleep to maintain your sanity, and its almost like your soul? higher self? is almost overcompensating in some fashion...when you don't get enough sleep. So I know there is a connection, and I experience it often...Can anyone perhaps explain it more clearly?
Also, I feel emotions so much more profoundly...its not imbalanced hormones...its like I can feel the duality of the universe- see the ugliness and pain of all that is wrong in the world in some post on fb and then watch The biggest loser and see the equal and opposite power of love and support and I usually spend a lot of time crying, over a combination of both overwhelming joy and sadness AT THE SAME TIME...so bizarre... just when I haven't slept right for days. When I do sleep, I just go on with my life like any other normal human being. So if someone can shed some light, I would be so appreciative :)
Old 24-01-2016, 01:01 AM
Guide

Sleep deprivation can cause dizziness, perhaps make you see things that other do not realise, and sometimes help you to solve difficult problems, but it harms your health if lingers.
Old 24-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Pathfinder

I feel the same thing when i pull an all-nighter and then lay down to try and sleep.
Old 24-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Guide

The most relevant symptom I have for not sleeping is the ability to solve problems I cannot solve in usual condition. But it does not happen all the time. However, the day after is very difficult. Also I have realised that is not uncommon for me to awake at 4:40 AM or 4:44AM, and not be able to sleep anymore.
Old 24-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Experiencer

I remember the content from some of my dreams in REM sleep, it's pretty psychologically weird. It would make sense to me that some of those occurrences break into the waking state of mind during sleep deprivation. When the mind can't get rest, but drifts away from lack of energy. I too get strange thinking if I'm excessively tired, I'm also more prone to being strongly affected by things. That's again because I lack the energy to defend and keep my emotions within a more reasonable range.

Dreaming and having your mind unconsciously unloading whacked up and insane things is pretty important. An overloaded and tired mind is susceptible to making mistakes when doing so is directly dangerous. I know because I work at a factory with lots of hazards, more than once I've been close to harming myself because of flawed thinking when tired. I actually have to keep a clear and sane mind to safely do my job, and I can't take things on blind beliefs without solid reason. So rest and good sleep is key for good performance.
Old 25-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Ascender
What people don't realize is just how much our brain must focus it's ability to provide a picture of a balanced and proportional image of the world around us. Each of our senses takes in information in differing ways and at varying clock-speeds. Our brains must coordinate these in order to present our "conscious" self with a coordinated and continually updated picture of it's surroundings.

Our brains use roughly 20+% of the energy that's generated by our body. When you sleep there is a great deal of housecleaning that goes on that is far more efficient than trying to do while the body is awake.

the Serotonin and Melatonin conversion is a very important component in this process.

Doing a quick look on the internet I found this fairly descriptive page:

http://www.teachhealth.com/chemmess.html

Scroll down to the part entitled "Serotonin"

The Body Clock is located deep in the center of the brain, in a little group of cells known as the Pineal Gland. Within the Pineal Gland is a store-house of the messenger Serotonin, which is the chemical "mainspring" of the Clock. Each day the Serotonin is chemically converted to a related compound, Melatonin; and then the Melatonin is converted right back to Serotonin. The whole cycle from Serotonin to Melatonin and back to Serotonin takes exactly 25 hours -- and this forms your Body's Clock.

We live in a vibrant well balanced vehicle called a body that took millions of years for nature to perfect as well as it has. If we're eating stuff that the body doesn't recognize as food (essentially anything processed) or if we're continually subjecting it to chronic thought-related stressers then it's easy to see where the whole system can be pushed to it's outer limits of effective coordination.

The stuff about synchronicity I get all the time with or without my sleeping being on par. In a mentally weakened state you may be noticing it more due to the lessening attention that you are paying to what we were raised to think of as normal.
Old 26-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Pathfinder

Organic born,It is not our "brains" that coordinate our senses.It is the Breath-Form that acts as the bridge between the senses and the "conscious" self.The Breath-Form is conscious,but only conscious as its function.The senses are also conscious as their functions.The Conscious Self is conscious that it is conscious.The Conscious Self is in the rear part of the Pituitary Body,the Breath-Form in the front.
The Pineal Body,or Gland,is the receiver of the Conscious Light which comes via the Thinker and Knower of the Triune Self.The Pineal Body directs the Conscious Light through the infundibulum to the Doer[the Self] in the rear half of the pituitary body.
The "brain" is a lump of meat,it is of Nature,We,however,are not of Nature.We are the immortal incorpreal Beings in these mortal Nature bodies.I could go on,but I wont.
Old 28-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian77
Organic born,It is not our "brains" that coordinate our senses.It is the Breath-Form that acts as the bridge between the senses and the "conscious" self.The Breath-Form is conscious,but only conscious as its function.The senses are also conscious as their functions.The Conscious Self is conscious that it is conscious.The Conscious Self is in the rear part of the Pituitary Body,the Breath-Form in the front.
The Pineal Body,or Gland,is the receiver of the Conscious Light which comes via the Thinker and Knower of the Triune Self.The Pineal Body directs the Conscious Light through the infundibulum to the Doer[the Self] in the rear half of the pituitary body.
The "brain" is a lump of meat,it is of Nature,We,however,are not of Nature.We are the immortal incorpreal Beings in these mortal Nature bodies.I could go on,but I wont.

The brain is an --Amazing-- lump of meat!

Heres' a page that discusses just the Neuron alone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron
One estimate (published in 1988) puts the human brain at about 100 billion (1011) neurons and 100 trillion (1014) synapses.[33] A lower estimate (published in 2009) is 86 billion neurons, of which 16.3 billion are in the cerebral cortex, and 69 billion in the cerebellum.

With each neuron having within it the complexity of New York City.

And that's just one aspect of the Human brain, it keeps broadening from there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain

Your lump of meat is one of the most complex creations in nature. We couldn't "consciously" do any of what nature does naturally. The core of our experience is run through this amazing medium, which continually interprets our surroundings and creates simulations that we call "thoughts".

There is magic to consciousness and there is magic to what is going on in our brains. But the stuff in our brains are not as ambiguous as you would project. Science loves studying people who have one anomaly or another in their brains. Loose a small part of the brain and very specific things happen. We can't talk, can't walk, can't remember, can't dream, there are distinct things that happen if the brain get's out of order.

Watch the following Ted talk video: Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU
This is the description of the video from youtube:
Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened -- as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding -- she studied and remembered every moment. This is a powerful story about how our brains define us and connect us to the world and to one another.

You can't just say some ambiguous stuff about the brain and consider that an "answer". The complexity involved is well beyond some authors interpretation, or some ambiguous term such as "Breath-Form".
Old 28-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Pathfinder

Yes,BUT,the brain is just the hardware.The intelligent,incorporeal BEING that INHABITS 'the nature machine' that we call our physical body is the software;When the indweller,the Conscious Self,leaves the body at death-the brain is just a lump of meat.
It is the software 'within' the hardware that makes us human.Saying that the brain is US,ourSELVES,is like saying that the computer screen that you are now looking at is the internet.You can describe how wonderful and complex your computer is-But that is not the internet.Break your computer and you wont get the world wide web through your screen.If you disconnect your sound card you wont get audio,but not the full service.Just like a damaged brain.Physical injuries can affect us-but that doesn't mean WE are our brains!
Come on now,You say you've left your body,but you keep banging on about how you are your brain-your body.
Old 29-01-2016, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator
kjbifidus, I don't have much scientific evidence etc to put into the mix, but know exactly what you mean. When I have little sleep, I too become more 'sensitive' to things which I am only peripherally aware of -if at all -when functioning normally.

I feel, from observing within myself, that the more focused we are in the 'ego' (the personality, and the body) and the more to the fore that happens to be, the lower the focus can be on inner dimensions. Good sleep, good food, healthy living -all make us stronger in the physical. That is a GOOD thing! We are here to be physical!
But at times of sleep-deprivation or weakness of any kind I have found the inner worlds come more to the fore.

Natural DMT may also have something to do with it.

Of course, there are other ways of achieving that, such as regular meditation and stilling of the mind, etc