Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 30-01-2016, 02:34 AM
Knower

Clear Blue Sky,

I'm afraid I don't see where the 2 links show examples where a daytime and/or a night was said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.
Old 30-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Guide

maybe this link that has a chart on how Hebrew hours are renderd.

http://torahcalendar.com/HOUR.asp

I understand though that gospel of John used the Roman calendar accounting system for days. It may be for those texts too that somewhere in the Hebrew to greek translation (especially if by word of mouth) the recokings got meshed together. Must have been a constant cultural thing where Jews and Gentiles mixed with different counting systems.

is there a reason behind your seeking the answer?
Old 30-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Knower

Clear Blue Sky,
re: "maybe this link that has a chart on how Hebrew hours are renderd."

That information may be useful for a future topic, but I'm afraid it has nothing to do with regard to my question. Let me ask you; exactly what is it that you think I am requesting?

re: "is there a reason behind your seeking the answer?"

For the purpose of this topic it's simply curiosity.
Old 31-01-2016, 12:50 AM
Guide

OK... sounds like you are looking for a TEXT that contains the IDIOM and also demonstrates in itself that it is referring to a time frame not LITERALLY like the Idiom....

I don't know any off the top of my head. You might try the works of Josephus. He wrote chronologies of Jewish Histories that included both summaries and interpretations, and also plot-like story line sequences. It could be that such an idiom or similar was used in his work. Also he wrote maybe around the time the gosepls were being written down, and also was a Jewish writer translating into the Roman languages. Two I know of his were "Antiquities of the Jews" -- which covers the Jewish story from the book of Genesis up to 70 A.D. and "Wars of the Jews" which describes among perhaps other things the Jewish conquest by the Romans around 70 A.D.
Old 31-01-2016, 04:07 AM
Pathfinder

Very simple really:

(1) Jesus hung on the cross from 9 noon till 3 P.M.
(2) On hearing of Jesus' death, Sanhedrinist Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate to have Jesus' corpse removed so it wouldn't pollute the Sabbath, which would begin in 3 hours. Therefore, Jesus was indeed crucified on [Good] Friday.
(4) The earliest NT tradition records that Jesus rose again "on the third day," not after the third day. Therefore, Jesus rose again on Easter Sunday, just as the earliest tradition reports.
(5) Jesus' Jonah analogy is offered only as a rough comparison.
Old 19-03-2016, 01:20 AM
Knower

ElectricQuest,
re: "(4) The earliest NT tradition records that Jesus rose again "on the third day," not after the third day."

Mark 8:31 - "And He began to teach them that...after three days rise again."
Old 19-03-2016, 05:25 AM
Newbie ;)

There are many doubts that Jesus could have had the Last Supper on Thursday, then Friday morning to undergo three trials, and to be crucified either by 9 AM or by 12 according to two gospels. It is quite likely the Last Supper to have taken place on Wednesday, some say even on Tuesday. We know for sure he resurrected on the first day of the week, that is our Sunday.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:17 AM
Knower

Ezdra,
re: "We know for sure he resurrected on the first day of the week...?

I am not aware of any incontrovertible scripture which says that the resurrection occurred on the first day of the week. What do you have in mind?

Since it has again been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who thinks that the three nights specified in Matthew 12:40 actually means two nights because the verse is using common Jewish idiomatic language, will know of some writing as requested in the OP as clarified in post #36.
Old 29-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Knower

It appears that there are no 6th day of the week crucifixion advocates who frequent this forum, or at least any that think that Matthew 12:40 is using common idiomatic language.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Suspended
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrats
I should also add "...and who thinks that the 'heart of the earth' is referring to the tomb" to the OP.
So much symbolisms, one could see the saying "Heart of the Earth" as being the Heart of Adam which would be his original wife. But this is also another symbolism of sorts. He was in the Heart of the Earth,(consider Te Ika a Maui) at another appointed time he became the Blood of the Earth/fish, which is what the Heart pumps and at another appointed time he became the Mouth of the Earth/fish. Remember these also. This Jesus character tells peter to go and find a fish and look into its mouth for Money(metaphor) to pay for the temple taxes(metaphor). And this "the abundance of a mans heart so shall he speak". Concerning the allegorical 3 Nights and 3 days also has to do with aeons or appointed times.