Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 25-05-2018, 07:57 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
Spirited, yes it isn't always clear. Jews would argue it's impossible to even read their bit, the OT, without the oral traditions that go with it, which Christianity doesn't have.
How I see the OT is to remember Israel's view of God was at least partly shaped by ancient city/state theology, it is political and warlike because those ancient city/states were frequently at war and the battles were all or nothing. There has to be some lens put on reading some parts of the OT which is what the oral Torah is about Jews have. Many ways to understand each part
In that film Jesus of Nazareth it ad-libs a discussion between Jesus and some Pharisees, they say to Jesus something like 'if our laws weren't severe we'd never be able to keep our people together' or something like that. Tough to maintain identity in those far off days of warring tribes
Jesus sort of anticipates the modern era of empires taking over from tribal city/states. The world had changed.

Very good point, David. It is so important to remember the OT especially is made up of many types of writings, not all are meant to be taken literally. Poems, music are included. Then also it needs to be read through the lens of time, culture and customs. A very challenging and difficult book to understand. I'm not sure anyone has ever truly understood everything correctly. No wonder so many disagreements and clashing views.
Old 25-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Master

all the disagreements are disappointing, the thing a lot don't get is the meaning of the name of Jesus that comes through in worship. Guess I'm giving away my charismatic leanings now!
All this stuff about theology is all secondary to Jesus
Old 25-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Pathfinder
I could not agree more. It is all secondary compared to Jesus. He is the whole point, the answer and the meaning. He is where hope can be found and help received. Theology is merely a standpoint one can have - however, not essential nor salvation-dependant. Many in history could not read the Bible themselves and therefore couldn't have any personal theology, yet they were saved. In the time of Jesus the Bible that have come to know and follow didn't exist, yet people were saved. It was purely a matter of "Do you believe?!" Yes = saved. Simple as that. The thief on the cross with Jesus showed faith when asking to be remembered, and Jesus told him he'd be with him in Paradise. No time to get his theological position right or live as perfectly as some on here seem to think you have to, it was his faith that saved. End of the matter.
Old 17-01-2019, 04:51 AM
ImthatIm

After reading some of this thread I feel dirty.
If someone had a point and didn't go on and on about 4 leters YHVH and who this and who that who got this right you that and we over hear say this then over there Oh OhO H HOOOHHHHH not that one you this who got that right.
I might listen but I feel like I just got jipped by a three card monty dealer.
Who is it again?
WHAT?
Look over there its YHVH wait what You see.

If you have points to make, make them. Don't try and tattoo someone with points.
This Jesus not that Jesus this way look here no truth but here's truth.
YHWHAT?

Maybe the Judaism sub-forum can make sense of it.
Old 17-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
After reading some of this thread I feel dirty.
If someone had a point and didn't go on and on about 4 leters YHVH and who this and who that who got this right you that and we over hear say this then over there Oh OhO H HOOOHHHHH not that one you this who got that right I might listen but I feel like I just got jipped by a three card monty dealer.
Who is it again?
WHAT?
Look over there its YHVH wait what You see.

If you have points make them. Don't try and tattoo someone with points.

YHWHAT?

& if you feel the way you do, after reading within, "that" is an issue within yourself, & you could attempt to rid yourself of that, instead of suggesting that others should alter themselves.

If you do not like the ink, then MAYBE you should not be in this tattoo parlour.

JUST SMILE AND IGNORE, BECAUSE IT MATTERS NOT IF ANYONE IS PUSHING STRONGLY, THINGS CONSTANTLY CHANGE & EVOLVE...
PEACE, LOVE & UNDERSTANDING...SMILES.
Old 17-01-2019, 05:51 AM
ImthatIm

Neil

I did rid myself of it.

Laid it bare.
Old 17-01-2019, 11:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Can you see Buddhism in The Gospel of Thomas ?

Yes. I can.
Old 17-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Yes. I can.

So glad, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me
Old 17-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Suspended
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
So glad, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me

The gospel of Thomas is a fraud.It's filled with agnostic and strange teachings, remember, when the Bible was put together, many tried to bring their gnostic beliefs into the Bible.

Verses from it:

Simon Peter said to them, "Make Mary leave us, for females don't deserve life."
Jesus said, "Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven."

If you say that the Bible is against women preachings in church, watch this...

Jesus is the only way.
Old 17-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan
The gospel of Thomas is a fraud.It's filled with agnostic and strange teachings, remember, when the Bible was put together, many tried to bring their gnostic beliefs into the Bible.

Verses from it:

Simon Peter said to them, "Make Mary leave us, for females don't deserve life."
Jesus said, "Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven."

If you say that the Bible is against women preachings in church, watch this...

Jesus is the only way.

Strange Teachings..... Only to those who cannot understand it SM, obviously if your reading material is DC Comics then you will find it strange.

The Gospel of Thomas is beautiful and if it's a fraud can you point out which verses you find fraudulent please and why?